It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Anyone ever gone to ER when Pain gets BEYOND CONTROLLABLE?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #16
    neurowreck
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neurowreck HB User
    Re: Anyone ever gone to ER when Pain gets BEYOND CONTROLLABLE?

Something I learned a few years back after a relatively minor surgery (though it did require general anesthesia and I lost a pint of blood), is that before any surgery, ask the doc to call in any pain meds prior to the procedure to be picked up so I'd have them when I got home (live alone with no family, so just have to get a ride home, which back then was a quick run home from a co-worker; now it's a cab), and also, always get all pain rx's filled, just in case.

You never know if you're going to have something flare up on a weekend, and run out of breakthrough meds that you normally don't have to take (and your doc isn't on call, so you can't get refill authorization), or you get some bug- for me it's bladder infections or horrible sinus headaches. For the bladder infections, I'll go to the ER; for the headaches, I won't, unless they're completely out of hand- before I go, I'll try any combination of things I know are safe from prior trials/rx's. If my doc happens to be on call, I'll ask the nurse to please let him/her know that this is beyond 'after-hours-clinic' stuff, and not within "ER-trust" range.... but if my doc isn't on call, I'm pretty much left to my own devices and current meds.

It's really pathetic that pharmacists get all hinky about 90 lortab, when they know that the MD has to authorize any refills, or put a time limit on how often they can be refilled- if that's a months' supply, that's only 3/day- hardly enough to alert the militia. I've worked in rehab places- when people take nearly 90 a day, then there's some worrying to be done- but everyone is so different, and pain is so subjective, that the pharmacist should really just clarify the number with the MD (to be sure that someone hasn't altered the rx- saw someone get arrested one night at a pharmacy for that- scary), and do it discretly, and get on with things.

Good point about herbal meds causing false positive drug tests- also, pot can be released into the bloodstream weeks after smoking it if someone loses weight or changes their diet....better to just be honest with the docs, and let them know. Once trust is lost re: meds/drugs, forget it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #17
    55steel
    Inactive
    (female)

55steel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neurowreck View Post
    Something I learned a few years back after a relatively minor surgery (though it did require general anesthesia and I lost a pint of blood), is that before any surgery, ask the doc to call in any pain meds prior to the procedure to be picked up so I'd have them when I got home....
    This is standard procedure for most surgeons nowadays. I always get my prescription for pain meds at my pre-op appointment. My ortho writes for pain meds, anti-nausea med and sleeping pills all as standard protocol. Since I have a contract with my PM doc it gives me a few days to bring him the prescription so he can write me a new one. He'll either write the same script as the surgeon or write something stronger if he thinks I'm going to need it.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #18
    neurowreck
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neurowreck HB User

I had my knee replaced last Nov, and they did not offer to call in anything- I had to ask, and then it was "let's see what you'll need"- so no, I did not get anything called in pre-op, for pain, nausea, or anything else. Since I did have a family member who could run and pick it up THIS time, I could do this, but normally , I don't have that luxury.

If I were where I lived for 17 years, prior to moving back up here to h#** with a zip code- where my health has cratered, making getting back to the south very frustratingly difficult- I wouldn't have had any problem talking with the doc about my situation (no family) and why I'd need to get the meds pre-op- all docs/states/situations are so different.

I've found many incredibly cold and indifferent docs here, and a few decent ones, while the ones when I was living much farther south were so much more personable (with a few duds- completely opposite ratios ! )..... not sure if it was the climate, or what....

I worked with many surgical patients for 19 years, and unless they were going to a nursing home, they got their rxs when they left the hospital..... only the ones the docs knew, or the patients who knew to ask pre-op got theirs called in beforehand..... I'd be copying discharge information and the rxs were on the top of the pile for the records' copy. Now and then, the doc made a note "called in pre-op" about prescriptions sent home.

Each place is different. It's important to know how each doc works, and if you don't have someone to 'fetch' stuff, to be sure and get things covered before you have anything done

Old 09-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #19
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

I just got home from my pre-op for my surgery tomorrow on both knee's. I had my list of questions, but never got to ask any of them, they told me they are using General Anestesia, and there were 3 scripts on top of the pile of paper for me to bring home. one for Lortab 10/500=60 of them. and one for Keflex and one for a walker. They had everything in order, long before my appt today.
    I was really glad they did it that way.
    Stardust

Old 09-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #20
    neurowreck
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neurowreck HB User

You're fortunate. Even though I had an orthopedic group practice doc do my TKR, no meds were considered until I left rehab. They gave me the rx then, but if I'd had the surgery done where I had no way to get the rx filled, I would have been out of luck.

It's so pathetic that there are some places/docs/states/whatever that still get so hinky about prescribing pain meds, even for known procedures/surgeries that involve a lot of pain, whether or not the person already has a chronic pain condition.

When I got out of surgery for my TKR, I also did not have a PCA/pain pump (and I wasn't known as a chronic pain patient, or on any scheduled pain meds). I had no use of my right leg (nothing voluntary at all- I've seen a lot of these sorts of patients- in the hundreds- and while pain limited movement, they had some, so it was not normal). When it was moved by an aide or nurse, it was agonizing, and I'd developed a bladder infection like none I'd had before (other than pyelonephritis with sepsis, which was a different story), so I was having to get up a lot. I was in agony that first night.

One of the aides kept telling me "you can move your leg, just do it", and I'd tell her, I can't, and I'd slide to the edge of the bed, so when she put it down, I'd have it closer to the floor, since it would just flop via gravity, and I wanted to reduce the distance before it 'thumped'-- she kept hollering at me to not get so close to the edge of the bed or I'd fall- and I kept telling her I had to get close so my leg didn't fall so far.....it was so painful just to get up, without some b#@&h telling me what I could and couldn't do- I'm perfectly capable of figuring that out. And pain isn't something I consider when moving or not- it's been there so long, I just move- so that wasn't the issue (chronic stuff)- protecting my knee was.

I don't remember if I got pain meds that night- I might have, but I don't remember getting any. In recovery, my BP went to 240/130, and there were problems getting it down, so I'm not sure what my meds were....I do remember the loss of voluntary movement, the pain, no pain pump, and having to get up 6-7 times that night. It was horrible. And not like the hundreds of TKR patient's I'd seen before. They hurt like crazy- I expected that- but I didn't expect to have a leg that was basically a dead limb (stayed that way for a week-- after a few days, I could drag it with me on the walker to the bathroom, and then actually use my hip to move it forward). It still hurts (after 10 months- but still better than before surgery when I wanted the leg amputated- seriously....I had a torn meniscus,and had for 6 months, that had been treated as a sprain, and also bone-on-bone knee joint-- the pain became enough to cause me to see stars).

The whole area of pain and pain control are so negligently avoided in this country. The Ultram is helping with the pain I'm having to some degree, but I'm still not where I need to be. I'm in the middle of changing doctors, and I'm sort of hoping that the new guy, unless he knows more about this than I'm expecting, has a PM MD referral. There are days when digging a hole and jumping in sound rational, and I know better.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:09 AM   #21
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Neurowreck,
    I am so sorry all this has happened to you. Even though I had a good experience and everything was given to me in advance. I couldn't figure out why after almost 2 hours in post-op they all came over (they had me memorize there names asm part of a game to keep me from thinking of my panic attacks, but anyway, when Larry, Cindy, Sheryl and Sarah came to my bed and tld me to hurry up and getg home so I could get some rest, I couldn't figure out what the hurry was.
    I did feel funny though. (forgive my ytping, I jus woke up and don'rt have my glass's on)
    I got home an laid on the couch and BAM out like a light, Come to find out they gave me something to keep me comfortable and sleeping. But whatever they gave me, gave me sevee diarrhea, most of the night. And even though I live in a house (not a trailer), my walker wouldn't fit throught the badthroom door!, So I had to balance myself and lift my walker saidways thought he door. I needed it to slowly sit on the toilet.
    I wake up this morning adn OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
    Hubby gave me a pain pill, but, OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
    When he had this done, he was in the hospital 5 days with a morphine pump and at home, he had private nurses coming in al the time.
    WOW, the difference a couple years makes.
    Now everything is done outpatient, even my gallbladder surgery. I think if they take out an organ, it;s worth at least a short hospital stay.
    Well, I gotta get some rest, these lortabs arn't toucning thiss pain and in 3 days I have phical therapy, ugggggggggggg.
    Talk to you sooon, OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW D*** laptop!! they HURT!!
    Stardust

Old 04-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #22
    camping7768
    (female)

camping7768 HB User

I had both my knees replaced this past November and after my 5 day hosp. stay, was sent home with a script for 20 percocets, 30 Lortabs and Motrin. These meds didn't even touch my pain and it was like pulling teeth to get stronger meds. I ended up calling my primary physician who promptly called the surgeon and gave him heck. Later that day the surgeons office called to have my hubby pick up a script for oxycontin.

I think it should be a requirement of any Dr. performing tkr's to have at least one done themselves. Maybe, just maybe they would understand the pain that's associated with it!

Closed Thread