It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• I hate this! Lying to my doctor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
    Unhappy I hate this! Lying to my doctor

Hello My Friends,

I am very sad and disgusted with myself. I had surgery in May, and my PM doc started me back on 50% of my previous dose of pain meds. (I went from 20mg oxycontin 3 times a day, with 2 percocet 10mg for BT pain, to the current regimen, half that dose on both the LA and SA meds).

I have been trying to tell them for months, that I am having alot of pain, and that I am unhappy with my pain control. The problem is that when I complain, they treat me badly. For example, my refill was due, and when I went to pick it up, the nurse told me it wasn't due until the next day. I was completely out of meds, so I knew something wasn't right. I called the pharmacist and she confirmed that my meds were due that day, and that I should be completely out. She faxed the nurse a letter stating this, and all I got was a NASTY message from the nurse stating that I was wrong, and she got the fax, but it didn't matter because she was right. Then, they didn't have the scripts ready until later the next day.

The next appt. I went to, I see on my diagnosis codes that there was a diagnosis for "opiate type dependancy". That was a new code, and not there before. Then the NP blew off my complaints, and asked me how many BT pills I was taking a day. I said 2 max, that's all I am allowed. They've never asked me something like that before. Then you may all remember the fiasco with the cough medication. They tried to say I broke my contract by getting a cough med filled. They finally sorted that all out, but not after terribly stressing me out.

So, months ago I tried my primary. He cannot prescribe pain meds, due to my contract. He did give me a script for Cymbalta, which I take faithfully. I also see a psychologist to deal with how cp effects my life. All of this was my doing, the pm never suggested any of this.

Last month, I just decided to act like everything was fine. No complaints, I'm doing well, Blah, Blah, Blah. The NP was so nice to me! He patted me on the back, I'm so proud of you, you've come so far.......and on and on. It felt great to me treated like a human being, but it wasn't the truth. I just figured that they ignore my complaints anyway. (I have been telling them that I am only getting about a 30% reduction in pain, sometimes 40 to 50, and that I am having a hard time, yet nothing changes).

I finally had to realize that I can fib all I want to, but the proof is in the pudding. I have missed more work in the last few months, than I have in an entire year. It is all due to alot of hard work, extra hours, and no pain control. I just can't seem to recover like I could when my pain was being controlled!

My appt. is next week. I don't know what to do. I don't want to tell the truth then be not only treated badly, but have them ignore my problem and keep things as they always do, as is. They seem to believe that my pain problem is mind over matter. If that was the case, haven't I done everything possible to help that factor? I just don't know how to handle this anymore. It is stressful and exhausting. What do I do??

Thanks for reading............

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
    videogamecrazed
    (male)

videogamecrazed HB User
    Re: I hate this! Lying to my doctor

So sorry to hear what you are going through. I myself had been in this situation with my last PM dr. I sometimes feel the same with the current PM DR that I am treating with at this time, but what I have learned to do is to ask ANY questions that I may have and Tell them exactly what I think ( in an appropriate way of course). If for some reason they "code" you as and opiate dependant person then ask why, if they wont go up on you dose then ask why, if you feel you need somthing then ask. YOu wilL NEVER know the questions to all of your lingering answers if you dont ask. I Know that this can be hard to do but I have done this myself and Have actually increased my relationship with my PM DR by leaps and bounds. He knows EXACTLY how i feel and I know EXACTLY what he is thinking himself. This has relieved sooooo much stress that I once had. Not sure if this help you any but I hope that it can and you and and everyone else that "crawls" on these boards are constantly in my prayers. Keep us up to date on what happens if you like.

God bless and Good day,

videogamecrazed

Old 11-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I can understand how hard this is. I have very strong pain tolerance and take my narco meds only when I can't take the pain anymore. I have contract with my PM also (at ***, NYC) and usualy he prescribes me 30 days supplies of narco meds. Believe or not I always have left overs, at least 5-8 pills and call for re-fills later than I suppose to since I have left overs. And still they tell me that until I get my urine test they will not call my pharmacy.
    Not once I ever finished my meds earlier than 30 days and still not trust???
    I feel very frastrated too when I call NP; even though my surgeon and my PM call me a very responsible person, NP still talks to me like I do something wrong when I ask her to call pharmacy.
    I read so many posts when people all over the US get treated same way - this is so unfair, so embarassing.
    And I never understood when some DR and NP think that patients pain is in their heads. Thanks, I never had to experiense that, but I think I would be very unhappy.
    Good luck to you, dear. There are plenty a good Dr who can help you without putting you down - just look for them.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Hi Moldovo, ( interesting name BTW) What does it mean??? I wanted to let you know that the pain meds you take are called
    " Norco" not " Narco" just so everyone can understand what your taking as some people may not know what Narco is.

Thanks, SS

Last edited by slipperyslope; 11-27-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Buttefli, I would find a new Dr. If you have to lie and are called an addict BECAUSE you asked for an increase is absurd, why would you want to stay with this Dr that is NOT helping you. Perhaps its time to find a new pain Dr that can treat your pain appropraitely.

good luck,
    SS

Old 11-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

BUTTRFLIGRL:
    I can definitely empathize with what you are going through. I had to fire my last PM doctor because he was not taking my pain seriously. I know how "delicate" my situation is with my addiction but I still deserve to have my pain treated appropriately. I have a very caring and supportive doctor now who really understands how much the pain does affect my life.

The best thing to do is be honest with the nurses and PM doctor about "HOW" the pain is affecting your life. Tell them specific instances especially regarding work. Just realize that you are truly powerless over other people and how they are going to react to what you say. Sometimes realizing this before you go to your next appointment will help. If they are not willing to help you enough then it is time to search for another doctor. It does get very frustraing and tiring dealing with this pain and then all of the other crap on top of it. Keep us posted.

Brian

Old 11-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
    MT10149
    (male)

MT10149 HB User

It's a shame that people are treated like you were/are.
    I too expierenced somthing similar recently. I was sent to Psyatrist for ideas on how to manage my leg pains. I have muscle spascity and I hyperexted my left knee. Anyway this new doctor said she can see how my walking would cause my knees to hurt, and she also stated that spascity can cause terrible pains. Then she sees that I take narcotics to relieve the pain. SHe gose into this speel about pain meds causing more pain and that I should wean myself off of them. So I said ok, what do you recommend I take instead. And she does not have any idea, except to wear a brace or correct my walking, which won't happen and she knows it.

So here I am waiting to see what my regular doctor is going to do now. She is going to send my regular doc a report and I am sure its going in include weaning me off pain meds.

I dont think this kind of thing is fair. In my case I went several years without taking anything but OTC meds. And they did not do it. I am more active now and a Nicer person to be around so says my wife.

Sorry to ramble but I am upset.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
    trowftd3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

trowftd3 HB User

I agree with Brian about telling the doc exactly how the pain is affecting your life. I can't do _______ without pain meds....they allow me to ________.
    I got the best response when I came in 'as is' and he asked me what I'd been doing for the last two weeks. I told him lying on the couch and he responded with "that's no way to live." You know if they had to live with our pain for even a day the tides would turn. Enough, I'll get off my soapbox...I know you've all heard it before.

MT...My doc ran that one by me too. The pain meds are causing your pain.
    Luckily he never made good on the threat of taking my pain meds away. But, he did spend a couple of months trying every other pill he could think of...that was misery. Also, my primary doc never said a word about it so I don't know if it's in my chart or not. She also believes in bt meds and my pm is not so generous in that department. She says that's crazy because your pain is never the same two days in a row. I love my primary.

Take care~Mush

Last edited by trowftd3; 11-27-2007 at 06:03 PM. Reason: wanted to add more

Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 AM   #9
    letthatsinkin
    Inactive
    (male)

letthatsinkin HB User

The fact they noted that you are somewhat dependant on opiates should tell them that they need to up your dosage.

Someone correct me if I am wrong... being dependant on the meds is okay, its almost expected....... but being addicted is where things get ugly.

So they need to up your dose. If they won't, fire them and get treated properly. I'm so sick of health care providers not taking pain seriously or being quick to tell us that we need to " get off " the meds without having a realistic alternative to manage our pain. Hypocritical if you ask me.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:43 AM   #10
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone! I don't know if the new diagnosis code is a good or bad thing. I have been there over two years and I am certainly dependant on my meds. I just wonder why this new code? I feel at a loss. My pain being under treated makes me feel like an addict, even though I'm not. I find myself watching the clock for when I can take a BT med, and I only am allowed two a day! Then I find myself still in pain and wondering why I even bother.

I am a very honest person, and it is very hard to say everything is okay, when it's not. I feel like if I say something, I rock the boat. If I don't, everything stays the same, and while I be a "good patient" in their eyes, I'll be controlled by pain in mine. If there is a happy medium, I have yet to find it. Thanks again for the replies. I feel better knowing I am not just neurotic and idiotic with this.

Thanks my friends!

Butterfly

Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #11
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

honestly Bfly,i would try and find another doc.you shouldn't have to do what you are having to just to be treated like a human being in pain.geez.either try finding a new one or actually sit down with your PM or the NP who you see and tell them exactly what you stated here.i have had some real honest in depth chats with my NP and my actual PM too when something really incredibly hurtful was done to me at an appt i had with another NP who i do not normally see.it was awful what she did to me.it bothered me to be treated like that so i just spoke with my actual PM about it when i saw him again for trigger point injections.lo and behold he was on MY side with this issue.when i saw my other NP(my regular one,will NEVER see the other one no matter what and they know that)her actual additude towards me and my pain actually changed almost completely.she now knew justhow really bad my situation was.we have good level of trust now that was not there before that incident happened.i HAD to be honest about this thing or it would have made me crazy.man did i feel better once i actually spoke up about it.

i think you have two choices here b fly,either continue to suckup what you have been getting or tell your actual PM or NP about what you are feeling and how this is all effecting you and your quality of life,OR find another more caring pain clinic.i was kind of suprised at how much better things got for me once i spoke up about me and my situation.no one was taking things seriously enough to try and help me before then.i now have a much better more trusting relationship with my regular NP now.i have earned that trust and feel good about it too.what this all comes down to is you DESERVE to be treated with respect and dignity and also a person who is just trying to cope with and actually live with chronic pain.that is what these people are supposed to be trying to help with,ya know?i would just start out by telling your PM,i cannot live like this anymore,i need your help,and then explain exactly how you feel,how your pain has been and the overall nasty treatment you are getting from nurse ratchet.they have to give you a little credit for just being honest.when i did this,it really did improve alot of things with my PM and my NP.and i felt vindicated in what i had been dealing with inside my head.they just validated my pain and my feelings about my treatment once they heard what I had to say.it all stemmed from just an open and very honest discussion.only you know how things really are there for you and what your best step should be.evaluate the situation and then go to plan A.if A doesn't work,then you go to plan B.i do wish you luck with this B fly and hope things can be worked out for you in a good way.please keep us all posted.hang in there,Marcia

Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Butterfly Girl!! You have been walking on eggshells with your docs for far too long. You've spent so much time trying to be the "pefect" patient since before your surgery and it has gotten you nowhere my dear. I would love to see you find another doctor just like the other posters have offered. You deserve a doc who will listen to you when you are telling the truth and respond to your needs. I hope you find someone my friend - All the best - Memere (K'Mac)

Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
    CaliGirl
    (female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

Just a rather unique idea. I would print off your post and hand it to the doctor. It summarizes everything up beautifully and when you get in there, if you are like most people, you will get nervous and tongue-tied and leave stuff out or they will start with the interrupting. Your post also emphasizes how they really influence their patients to tell them what they want to hear and not to tell them the truth, and this is really important for them to know. Because if they impact you in this manner, they impact others in this manner. Best of luck with your appt!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #14
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

I am so sorry for you. This has got to be absolutely awful.

I have a suggestion that has always worked for me. I never ask for them to increase my meds. I have learned that it automatically raises a red flag - the drug seeking one. Then when they have entered a diagnosis code like "opiate dependent," they can then stop the Rx because it says in the prescribing information that the sched II drugs have no place in the treatment of drug dependency or addiction. So I stay completely away from ever asking for more.

What I do is to say "look, my pain is at a 7-8 all the time. This leaves me useless to myself and my family. I can't even do things that just might strengthen my whatever so maybe my pain can get a little better. What can we do to get my pain to a 5 out of ten? Do you agree that a 5 out of 10 is a reasonable this to ask for?"

I have never been denied serious treatment after that kind of exchange. And I ask them to put the pain scale measure in my file so it's there for anyone's reference. No one should be asked to live at a 7-8 out of 10 and they know it. To fail to aggressively treat that level of pain is malpractice, unless they refer you to someone who can treat you.

I sure hope things turn around for you. You have been so patient and been treated so badly. It really makes me angry that you have been through all this.

Very Best of Luck!

steve

Closed Thread