It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• TOOTH STILL HURTING :mad:

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Unhappy TOOTH STILL HURTING :mad:

I am just not having good luck lately. My root canal did not go as planned. I had it done a week ago and have been in quite a bit of pain and had inflammation in my jaw, the joint, and now the tooth in front of the one they did the root canal on is throbbing.

They did call in a steriod yesterday (medrol pack) and I started taking it. However today I drank something cold and that tooth (in front of the one they did the root canal on) started to throb. I called them and asked if they could call in something for the pain. I know you would think that my other meds would cover the pain but sometimes only an opiate medication will calm tooth pain down. They called me in Tylenol #3's. I am getting some relief now but I am just very frustrated. I hope that I don't have to go in for another root canal. Any suggestions or advice?

Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
    Re: TOOTH STILL HURTING :mad:

They gave you TY #3?
    What a crock....do they know what other meds you are on? Good God... Nothing like paying 700.00 for a root canal and they give you THAT??? Id be really peeved...
    xoxoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just a thought here for ya brian.but did they do an x ray and really really look at it very closely in order to really see if they actually went all the way completly down to the very very ends of the canals?i am only asking as this happened to me with one root canal i had done years ago.my dentist is really a very thorough guy and he really thought he had gotten the whole mess outta there,but when my pain just kept getting worse,he did another x ray and lo nd behold there was a tiny bit of the old root left in the very very bottom of the canal.so he had to drill thru the brand new crown remove the peg and go back in again.believe me,i KNEW when he hit that very bottom, as it hurt like hell.his words were,wow you have got one 'hot" tooth there.yep,i certainly did.i had felt that pain,and it was nasty,right thru the like five novicaine injections he had given me.once he was certain he had gotten it all he did another x ray on it just to be sure before he filled it again.have not had a problem with it since and this was about ten years ago?you might want to ask your dentist to just do another x ray on it espescially if this was a big abscess.there can be residual crap left behind that just had not actually showed itself during the procedure.this is usually the biggest or most common reason for continued pain post canal.just one possibility for your continued pain.hopefully your dentist can figure this out soon.i know tooth pain is just such a sucky thing to have.800mg motrin really can help too with any inflammation.it just hits it a bit harder than OTC.good luck,let us know how things are going,K?marcia

Old 11-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
    morgyporgy
    (female)

morgyporgy HB User

oh my!!! i am so so very sorry that you are having tooth pain. i would take my body pains over a toothache anyday. i am just one of those people that cannot tolerate tooth pain at all. just a thought but...sometimes teeth can refer pain. i had a tooth giving me a fit one time and went to the dentist. he said that he needed to pull it since i could not afford to save it and it would cost $350.00!!! i declined and went to a different dentist and he found that it was actually the tooth in front of that one that had the cavity but the abcess was referring the pain to the tooth behind it. there is nothing worse than tooth pain and a dentist that is not compassionate should be outlawed!!!!! someone suggested the ibuprophen and that is the best OTC pain reliever for tooth pain. i feel your pain right now. i just posted a while back about 2 teeth i have that have chipped down to nothing and are causing me tremendous amounts of pain. i have an appt. next month to get them both taken care of. gl and i sincerely hope you get some relief very soon. i really really mean that from the botttom of my heart. god bless, morgy porgy

Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Brian,

This really sounds like there's something wrong. I recently had two root canals and all they Rx'd was Vicodin and a high dose of Ibuprofen. Believe it or not, I actually got better relief with the Inuprofen. It actually killed the pain. And by the second day it was tolerable anyway.

Your story and the length of time your pain has lasted tells me something is wrong with the root canal. I'd go right back there, appointment or not and tell them that something has to be done.

Best Of Luck!

steve

Old 11-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thank you all for your comments. I think that it is getting better. I did have to take one of the tylenol #3s today. I really don't want to take this any longer than needed. It is really making me feel "strange" and spaced out and tired. I slept like 11 hours last night. I was taking the ibuprofen up to 2400mg one day and then several other days I took 1600mg/day. I only took 800mg yesterday but I don't want to continue on that any longer either. I am still taking the corticosteroid (medrol pack) and have 3 days left. The endodontist office said to call on friday and let them know how I am doing. I will keep you all posted.

Brian

Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Angry Re: TOOTH STILL HURTING :mad:

Update on the update:
    I think the Ultram was interacting with the tylenol 3 so I let both of them wear off to see how much pain I was really in. That tooth started hurting so I went in the bathroom to take a look at it (like I was going to be able to see something). I tapped on that tooth and OH MAN did I feel an instant strike of nerve pain. Now it is sitting here throbbing and I still have 2 hours to go at work. I did take another tylenol #3 and no more Ultram for now plus I just finished the rest of the day on the Medrol pack.

I am going to call the endodontist first thing the in the morning and demand to be seen. This is not going to wait through the weekend. I will keep you guys updated and pray that everything gets better.

Brian

Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Brian - You really need to INSIST on being seen tomorrow - I can't imagine what you are going to do if you have to try and get through the weekend in this kind of pain with Tylenol #3/4 for relief. Like everyone else has already stated, if the root is out then the only thing that can be causing pain is an infection somewhere. Did you say he's got you on antibiotics alongside the medrol pack? I guess I should have gone back and read your original post. Anyway, my main point is simply that you need to get to the dentist before Friday morning turns into Friday night and you have nobody to treat you until Monday. Good luck Brian - I just underwent preparation for a crown on one of my molars - I had a tooth with an old filling and the filling and the tooth cracked. Right now I have a temporary crown on it. Tooth pain ranks right up there with some of the worst pain I know of. Memere (K'Mac)

Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
    mistee17
    (female)

mistee17 HB User

brian,
    Sometimes a tooth does hurt right after a root canal but will settle down. Also the reason that people don't get numb is because of the swelling aroung the nerve that needs to be hit to get numb. A lot of times the dentist will shoot the lidocaine directly into the canals. What tooth is it? Somtimes a lower 1st molar will actually have 4 canals instead of 3 and it is hard to see the 4th on an xray, they ovelap and sometimes actually lead into one at the apex. The endodontis needs to re-xray it after trying to put another file down the distal canal and take the xray with the file in b4 he takes the gutta percha out. good luck with your tooth

Old 11-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #10
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hope things go well for ya at the office.i really DO think just based on the pain reaction you have when you hit that tooth that they really need to x ray it and see what got left behind.your situation sounds sooo much like mine did when this happened to me.things were sooo hypersensitive with that tooth only becasue they didn;t get it all cleaned out before they 'finalized' that canal.they would have to drill thru and go back in and just re ream everything out totally and completly.all it takes is a tiny bit of crap they didn;t get out and once they have 'capped it off,all the pressure builds up inside.this really sounds like what is actually going on with you.once my dentist went back in and really got everything and filled the hole back up,i was totally fine as far as any pain being there anymore.good luck hon,i hope they can get this right for you soon.let us know,K? marcia

Old 12-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

UPDATE FOR EVERYONE:
    I went to the endodontist yesterday and she tested my teeth again with the cold test and the one that was hurting I almost leaped off the chair when she put that cold stuff on my gum. I told her to go ahead and do the root canal on that tooth. She was very accomodating since she had 4 people that needed root canals from 3pm until they closed. She did it very quick and sent me home. I have had a little pain every now and then but for the most part the throbbing and aching is gone. Now I just need to get to my dentist and figure out what to do with 2 teeth that need either fillings or crowns. Well at least the pain is pretty much gone and the healing begins.

Brian

Old 12-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #12
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hey Brian, I'm so sorry you are going through this! I had a bad tooth last week, on top of everything else, its no fun!

I started using toothpaste for sensitive teeth a while back, and it really works, dont know if you have tried it, but it has made me a lot less sensitive to hot and cold. Its a little more expensive, but worth it IMHO.

HTH, Fabby

Closed Thread