It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• ER or Urgent Care?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
    awsam007
    Inactive
    (female)

awsam007 HB User
    ER or Urgent Care?

Quick Question...have built tolerance to oxy, my PM doesn't have time to see me til 12.19.07 (even tho I'm paying him to manage my pain, go figure) told me to go to ER but my ins co-pay's are diff for ER ($100) and urgent care ($50). I'm not expecting much from either place but I'm in too much pain so I have to do something, which place would all of you pro's out there recommend? My DH is on his way home from work to take me. I'm leaning towards UC b/c I'm poor, they're faster and I've had good, quick service there in the past. Please wish me some pain relief, however temporary it may be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User
    Re: ER or Urgent Care?

If your under a pain management contract you probably won't be able to ask for any narcotics and if you get them, you could loose your Pain Doc, so hopefully they can give you something other than pain killers as they will defitnely scrutinize you if your on oxycontin and show up needing more pain meds. maybe a shot of torodol would help but Its really hard to get any treatment for pain at an ER Hospital or Urgent care if your already taking such a strong narcotic. I would never go for my back pain as I there is nothing they can do to help me and they will only make you feel like a druggie. I have never been to an urgent care, so I can't tell you which one to go to. I know a hospital has more options than urgent care does.

I hope your feeling better and good luck, post when you get back. maybe I WILL be wrong and you will get help but its unlikely.

SS

Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

I'm pretty sure I read in an earlier post today that your pm doc told you to go to the er right? So if there is any problems can't they just call him to confirm he ok'd this?

Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Can you call your doctors office back and ask if they can get a prescription ready to pick up? It would seem easier to me to do it that way,

If I were you, I wouldnt accept a script from another doc for oxy unless he assured you he had spoken to your doc on the phone and gotten an okay, otherwise, even if he did tell you to go to ER, you could still be considered in violation.

Most ER's or Urgent Cares will only give you hydrocodone, or possibly a very few percocets, anything stronger they would give in a one time injection, so in a few hours, youre right back where you started. I do think you would be better off in a hospital ER than an urgent care, as far as them being willing to write you a script for any oxy.

Just triple check so you dont end up treating your pain for one night, but shooting yourself in the foot in the long run.

Have you asked your doctor to up your oxy? or is that what you were planning to do at your next appointment? good luck and please let us know how it comes out.

HTH, Fabby

Old 12-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
    awsam007
    Inactive
    (female)

awsam007 HB User

I'm going to fire my PM doc as soon as I can. He's not nice. Yesterday before going to UC I called his office and told them I wanted a written statement from him saying he told me to seek treatment at the ER/UR b/c my PM contract states if I go to the ER/UC or another doc and obtain narcotics then my PM doc can "fire" me (interesting way to state it in the PM contract). He refused to give me that statement - I was actually told he was too busy to write that up for me - so I went to UR and was seen by a doc that doesn't believe in narcotics, hun??? What does that mean, you don't believe in narcotics??? I don't either but my back really feels so much better when I have them to take!!! I was so upset and in so much pain at that point I started crying right there in front of her. She told me she could give me some Ultram, 50 mgs (which is like giving me a script for tylenol). After she left the exam room a nurse came in and handed me a cup for a urine sample, which I thought was weird considering the doc had not mentioned anything about a urine sample. The nurse said the doc thought I had a bladder infection. Like heck she did, she thought I was drug seeking and she wanted my urine to drug test it. I am so sick of being treated like a drug addict. I have a legitimate back injury. In fact, I've been told I'm permanently disabled at only 29 years old and all I did was have a baby. I've had a fusion that failed and according to my most recent tests I've just had done instead of my disc problems getting better or staying the same they're getting worse. I feel hopeless. All I want is to be a wife and mother and at this point I'm not able to do either without a lot of help. Anyway, I did give the doc a urine sample b/c I have nothing to hide. She said I have a bladder infection and gave me a script for cipro. I don't believe I have a bladder infection b/c I have no symptoms of one. I think she used that as an excuse to get my urine. I'll find that out when my insurance company receives the claim. Oh well. I'm upset that my PM sent me to the ER/UC knowing they wouldn't do anything about my pain. I hope he can sleep at night b/c I haven't been able to. I don't have another appt with him until Dec 13th. That appt should go well. On a better note I did find a good PM doc yesterday that is accepting new patients. He came very highly recommended. It will take a few months to get in to see him so I'll have to put up with my current doc for now. What a mess.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
    painaway
    Veteran
    (female)

painaway HB User
    Unhappy Re: ER or Urgent Care?

Awsam...Just wanted to check in on you. I've had you in my thoughts a lot, and I hope you can find some relief. If you have to, then go to the ER! $100 is a lot of money, but your comfort and peace is worth so much more. In my opinion, you need to explain the whole story to them, and I really believe they'll help you. You can't go until Dec. 13 without going through some awful withdrawals...AND YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO! Praying for you...

Old 12-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
    awsam007
    Inactive
    (female)

awsam007 HB User

Thanks for your prayers pain, the Good Lord above knows I need them. I'm not out of pain meds, my pain meds are no longer working. I've been on the same dose of oxy and percocet (for breakthru pain) for about 8 mths now. I think my body has finally built up a tolerance to the dose I currently take b/c when I take them my pain doesn't go away like it did up until a week and a half ago. My doc is smart enough to know that after several months of being on the same dose my body has finally built up a tolerance. I think I simply need an increase. I don't know how my doctor sleeps at night, I know I have trouble. I tried all week to get an earlier appt to see him and the earliest they say they have available is 12.13 so I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. To be honest I'm not expecting my doctor to increase my meds on the 13th, he seems to like power trips, I can only go and plead and hope he's having a good day that day. I did find a new PM doctor yesterday that my surgeon agreed to refer me to on Monday. The new PM doctor was highly recommended by a friend, I've been busy doing lots of research on him and he seems to be the "cream of the crop". I'm praying this will all work out well. I appreciate your prayers and concerns.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #8
    awsam007
    Inactive
    (female)

awsam007 HB User

F/U to my UC visit. They called this afternoon to let me know that I didn't have a bladder infection or a uti after all (even though they swore I did on friday and gave me a script for cipro). Duh. I knew that. When I told the nurse who called me today that I knew I didn't have a uti or bladder infection she said the doctor had to check for that b/c I came in complaining of low back pain. I quickly and bluntly explained that I didn't come in for low back pain, it wasn't like I pulled a muscle lifting something heavy, I explained my back history, none of which has ever included a pulled muscle. I came in for severe upper back pain at the recommendation of my PMD b/c he was too busy to manage my pain. That makes me mad. I knew the doctor wanted my urine to drug test me. I am furious not b/c I have anything to hide but b/c she tried to go behind my back to do it. I asked for the info to contact the UC's corporate office and plan to contact them bright and early tomorrow morning. I want to know what tests my urine was used for, I want my file from my visit and I want this doctor reprimanded. I plan to take this as far as I possibly can. I am tired of doctors treating me like a piece of trash. I may be only 1 person and I may not be able to change the world but I will never again let a doctor treat me with anything but the respect I deserve. I feel better now. I'm still in pain but I'm taking it 1 day at a time. I'm giving my pain to God and trusting he'll take care of it until I can get my doctor to increase my meds.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #9
    letthatsinkin
    Inactive
    (male)

letthatsinkin HB User

I went to the ER and they took my urine as well, to test for kidney stones. I don't think they would really care to drug test you, they already knew you were on oxy. Im sure they have a lab report saying they tested for kidney problems. That doesnt excuese their poor management of your pain, but it might not be a big conspiracy.... if you read my post "ER Fiasco" from last week youll see I had a really similar experience

Closed Thread