It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• New side effect, constipation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User
    Question New side effect, constipation

Hi, new to the board and grateful to have found all of you. I have been treated for chronic pain for about 9 years now for a painful peripheral neuropathy of still unknown causes, most likely CMT. I spent the first 6 years on hydrocodone 10/325 which while slightly difficult to manage, worked. That treatment came through my primary care doctor, an amazingly informed and kind man. After moving I came under the care of PM doctors, some of whom have done more injury than good in overprescribing. During all these years, I learned how to manage the side effect of constipation. I spent most of the year back on Norco due to lack of insurance, but now have insurance and am under the care of PM clinic and on oxycodone SR. Is there some difference between the SR and the Contin compounds that might account for a much more difficult time managing that particular side effect? I take fiber, eat fruit, stay away from cheese, and use an effervescent vitamin C to stimulate peristalsis, but still have problems. Appreciate any input as this is starting to wear on me. Paulo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: New side effect, constipation

I have found eating fiberone bars to be quite effective. They are located in the granola bar section of the grocery store and are like eating a chocolate chip bar. Very good and low in calories.

Also there is a product called miralex which you can buy over the counter. You mix it with water. It is good and does not clump like metamucil does. It is also tasteless.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Miralax taken on a regular basis will help take care of this problem. Constipation is a common side effect of narcotics that we all tend to share-much against our bettre judgment...I have found that miralax has wored beyond my wildest dreams....thank heavens. Once you get (ahem) regular-so to speak-you can skip a day or so and still have it work.

You do need to be aware that it does seem to cause a little -blush-gas. Unfortunately I can't take the dog to work to blame it on the dog......

Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I agree with the others. I am on oxycodone as well, and tried many things before finally finding that Miralax is the easiest and most effective product for constipation. It works great for me, and I hope it helps you too! I also have tried taking Colace stool softeners at bedtime. Sometimes would need two, but one every night can keep you regular once you get on a good schedule.

Take Care!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Add nuts to your diet I find that that really works for me. I also do benefactor and eat fiber one bars. I am still lucky if I go 2 times a week.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

I have not heard of miralex. Is it available at any pharmacy? Thanks so much for the feedback from all who replied. It is weird. I have been on oxycontin at much higher doses following major surgery, but after spending most of this year on norco, which I have to say allowed me a higher quality of life although managing the prescription was a bit harder, now that I am back on oxycontin, this um problem has become a headache for me.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I take the generic colace stool softener (usually 3 at bedtime). I have taken the generic pericolace (the one with the senna laxative). It is not supposed to make you cramp but I get cramping when I take that and a lot of gas. I only take it when things get really backed up. I might try that Miralax though when I get paid tomorrow I will need to make that trip to CVS.

Brian

Old 12-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

I use psycillium husk fiber, will that be a problem if I also try the miralax? I have another concern, which may be harder to resolve, and that is that my mood seems depressed much more since I started back on oxycontin, 20mg twice a day, than it was when taking norco (hydrocodone 10/325) five times a day. Has anyone else had a reaction like that, or am I placing the blame on the wrong thing, and am in fact experiencing good old fashioned depression, which I am no stranger to.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:23 AM   #9
    dietcoke
    (male)

dietcoke HB User
    Magnesium Citrate for constipation--it works for me...

You're sure right. Constipation is a huge problem, for it makes me very uncomfortable, and I find myself "planning around" it (and I will not go into specifics, but you probably know what I mean).

If all else fails, try Magnesium Citrate. You can purchase it at just about any store that carries over-the-counter medication. It is unpleasant to drink. It is a tad bit unpredictable as far as how soon it will work.

It is, however, cheap. A bottle of 11.5 Fl. Oz. costs me about 2-dollars. I started using it when Mom had cancer, for she used it, and it worked.

For me, it literally always works, and that's what is so good about it.

Just a thought... Good luck.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:28 AM   #10
    dietcoke
    (male)

dietcoke HB User
    Re: Magnesium Citrate for constipation--it works for me...

Quote:
    ...my mood seems depressed much more since I started back on oxycontin, 20mg twice a day, than it was when taking norco (hydrocodone 10/325) five times a day....
    My mood was just the opposite of what it should have been. I was euphoric taking any opiod (I thought I was Superman), and it felt great. I had to get off of it because I abused it and had paradoxical side effects.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:16 AM   #11
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Yes, Miralex was perscription until 2007. It is now available at the pharmacy - walmart- target - cvs. What is nice is the fact that it does not gel in your water and it is tasteless. Very easy to jug down.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

Re: Magnesium Citrate for constipation--it works for me...

[QUOTE=dietcoke;3345157]My mood was just the opposite of what it should have been. I was euphoric taking any opiod (I thought I was Superman), and it felt great. I had to get off of it because I abused it and had paradoxical side effects.

If that be the case, may I ask why it was prescribed in the first place I don't know this for sure, having never done a survey, but I suspect that many people are similar in that they would much rather not 'have' to take a chemical for pain if they did not absolutely need it. Very commendable decision to take yourself off if you were abusing it and did not absolutely need it in order to have a life. I may complain about unwanted side effects, but I would be horribly depressed and unable to function or even get out of bed were it not for the one primary effect I tolerate well, which is pain relief. I applaud your honesty, not many would come out front with what you have stated. Best of luck to you in life...Paulo

Old 12-11-2007, 07:34 AM   #13
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

[QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;3345178]Yes, Miralex was perscription until 2007. It is now available at the pharmacy - walmart- target - cvs. What is nice is the fact that it does not gel in your water and it is tasteless. Very easy to jug down.

I took the advice and bought some. Also bought some Senna on the advice of the pharmacist, which I have been using along with my normal protocol of fiber and a fizzing high dose vitamin C in powder form. I feel rather "heavy" if I don't go at least once a day. What is perplexing is that I have managed this side effect so well for about 9 years, until just the past six weeks. I have reached the conclusion that either my body chemistry has changed, or the manufacturer, Purdue, is taking shortcuts and the compound has changed; but that line of thinking is a bit paranoid so I am going to switch off oxycontin at the end of the month and get back on mscontin. Maybe tonight I will give the Miralax a try....Paulo

Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #14
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

YOu will probabaly need about three days before you will see anyd ifference with the Miralax. Then you will see a daily effect. It gets where I can almost set my clock to the regularity it gives me. No, no medals please......but it really does work better than anything else I have tried including metamuck as my kids call it, and everything else. It beats being "plugged up" as my father used to say. Costco or Target seem to be the best in price. I saw it as BJs also. The box stores are the best cost wise....

Old 12-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #15
    dietcoke
    (male)

dietcoke HB User
    Took them for lots of reasons...

Paulo, your questions are certainly reasonable. I’ll try to answer them. First, I deserve no applause. None at all. I did get off the MS Contin alone, but I had no choice, for the doctor that prescribed them was nuked (not allowed to practice for 1 year) by the DEA or some narcotics task force in Tarrant County (Fort Worth).

#1, MS Contin was prescribed so I could salvage my career while I pursued a cure for what later was diagnosed as CRPS. (The doctor that prescribed them is the most heroic doctor I have ever seen, for he risked his license to help people like me.)

#2, “Desperate people do desperate things” and I was absolutely desperate.

#3, Bizarrely, I did not realize how much my behavior changed. I did know that I was euphoric, and it felt good. But I didn’t realize that my wife was “afraid of me” and that she was “afraid” that I would hurt one or both of our 5-year-old twin boys. That was a huge “wake up call” when she admitted that to a counselor we were seeing.

#4, I did not tell my doctor about the mood swings.

#5, I did tell the doctors at the pain clinic about the MS Contin, but they offered me a Fentanyl patch, I was willing to try it, it greatly reduced the pain, etc.

#6, When I passed-out at the pain clinic because my blood pressure was so low, that ended any and all Opioids for dietcoke (me). That fact became a part of my medical records, and no doctor will prescribe them for me now unless I lie, and lying to a doctor is a good way to get booted, etc.

If I could legally obtain narcotics now, I would. That's how stupid I am, and admittedly, that is very stupid. Applause? Not for me.

Pity me? No thanks. I'm way beyond that stage, thankfully.

Closed Thread