It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Vacation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User
    Vacation

Okay, I know I have belabored this point BUT back to the vacation - if I were to taper, I would feel bad most of the time and especially when I do a new taper, now I know if I go cold turkey I will have horrible withdrawals - I have never had a w/d symptom so I do not know how bad this would be - it makes sense to me to only have physical w/d symptoms for 3-4 days rather than every month for a year - there has to be more to this - I have Crohn's disease, breast cancer (6yr survivor), anklosing spondylitis, and a generally messed up lumbar spine - I am really frightened to do anything that will cause physical symptoms - I am not a total wimp, I was a flight nurse for the
    military and gone through some awful things in my life but I am having a hard time with this one - it seems so self inflicting - I want to try and lower my dose - I take oxy 140 three times a day with norco for b/t and I believe I could take it down from a pain standpoint - I have started on Remicade and it is a miracle????????? Should I leave well enough alone??? Tks Aver

also have hypertension, diabetes, and am taking Cymbalta 120mg

Last edited by Aver00; 12-07-2007 at 04:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
    Re: Vacation

Hi Aver - let me get this right....are you saying that you are on *** mgs. of oxycodone a day with Norco for breakthrough pain? If this is really the correct dose I would BEG you not to discontinue your meds cold-turkey!! I can assure you that you would feel like throwing yourself in front of a fast moving metro bus!! Why don't you talk to the doctor about switching to Methadone at this point? You are certainly pushing the limit on the oxycodone and folks who are taking methadone (I was one for years) don't seem to need the kind of increase in dosage as patients taking other opiates. Is there a particular reason why you have to return to taking the oxy after your "vacation"? You could also try the patch. But I fear that I am repeating what others have already told you in previous posts. You are going to be one tough cookie if you can get through a cold turkey withdrawal from all that oxy!!! Please consider your options carefully Aver before making any decision about terminating your meds. Good luck - Memere

Old 12-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

Thank you thank you thank you - just what I needed to hear - would you taper before the switch to methadone - If I taper down the oxy then maybe I could switch because I fear this is long term, like forever thank you again and I will definitely not go cold turkey - I guess no one understood how much rx I am taking and I am totaly ignorant about w/d and did not know the dosage made that big of a difference Aver

Old 12-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

I am going to attempt to go this week without using any b/t medicine and if I can do that then I can begin to work on lowering my oxy - unless someone thinks I should try dropping one of my 40mg oxy - i take 3 40's a day and
    3 80"s of oxy a day - I do have a lot of pain but I feel like I need to start learning to live with it instead of the constant medicating - I know you all feel this way but I just wish I had a normal life, pain free like my friends
    wah wah wah poor me Aver

Old 12-09-2007, 03:26 AM   #5
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Aver, Memere is right, cold turkey would be a rough way to do it, But it also doesn't have to take a year to taper. More than likely you could shave 20 mgs a day from one of the doses every 4-6 days and may not feel a thing untill you have dropped down to 25-30% of your previous dose. Starting with the BT meds makessense but you realy may be surprised how you can decrease quite a but before you hit a wall and your body rebels. Basically you would ned your doc to supply with with a greater number of 20 mg pils and slowly remove 20 mgs from one dose out of the day and do that every 4-5 days and it's very likely you can make a considerable drop before you hit a wall and really start to feel uncomfy in any way.

If you just derease by 1 norco a day every few days your really going to extend this out and feel worse, longer. If you cut the norco out completely, all your losing is 10 mgs of hydro every 4 hours and and still takinkig remaining oxy witch sustains 70 mgs of oxy in your system with the 140 TID dosing. Oxyc sustains half it's dose. Removing the norco woud be like a 10- 15% drop in your total serum level and often if your drops are less than 20% you may not even notice it if your getting that much relief from the new med. Basicaly find a a happy medium between cold turkey and taking a year to discontinue opiates.After 4 or 5 days of no BT.

Then you start removing 20 mgs from one of those 3 doses and every 4-5 days remove another 20 mgs from a different dose. So it would look something like day5 you go to 140-120-140, Day 10 you drop to 120-120-140, Day 15 your at 120-120-120, Day 20 120-100-120. If that's to slow drop 2 doses by 20 mgs every 5 days so you go to something like 120-140-120. next 120-120-100, next 100-100-100. You could actually make the drops every 3 days untill you hi a wall where you body tells you to slow down. and then slow it down to 20 mgs less every 5 daysys instead of every 3. There are lots of ways to smoothly reduce your daily dose as long as you give your body some time at the lessser dose to adjust.
    Good luck and never let fear of withdrawal keep you taking a med you may not need. That's what methadone maint is for.
    Good luck, Dave

Old 12-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aver00 View Post
    I am going to attempt to go this week without using any b/t medicine and if I can do that then I can begin to work on lowering my oxy - unless someone thinks I should try dropping one of my 40mg oxy - i take 3 40's a day and
    3 80"s of oxy a day - I do have a lot of pain but I feel like I need to start learning to live with it instead of the constant medicating - I know you all feel this way but I just wish I had a normal life, pain free like my friends
    wah wah wah poor me Aver
    I think I am confused as to what your prescription is. You say you take 3 40's a day of oxy, and 3 80's a day of oxy. Are you meaning the 40's are a short acting and the 80's long acting? That is a bit, and I don't blame you for wanting to cut back. I have done many tapers, real complete vacations are very hard, and I have only done that twice to see if there was any way at all that I could live with the level of pain I had naturally; each time I had a substitute, like benfotiamine for neuropathy, and lyrica for the same. I finally had to admit that life was never going to be normal and pain free, I can't live with pain level above 7 on a scale of 1 to 10; but I was able to get dosage down a heck of alot. Someone else recommended cutting out the b/t pills, that is an excellent and usually minimally difficult start. I did that just this month, cut out the two 10mg oxycodone, and found that with a little meditation and modest increase in exercise I was good on just the two 20mg oxycontin per day. I hope that helps. Everyone with chronic pain I think goes through the same thoughts of wanting to be pain free and off drugs so we can live a normal life. Some can, many cannot, and then acceptance and management become the catchwords I have to live by...Paulo

Old 12-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Memere View Post
    Hi Aver - let me get this right....are you saying that you are on *** mgs. of oxycodone a day with Norco for breakthrough pain? If this is really the correct dose I would BEG you not to discontinue your meds cold-turkey!! I can assure you that you would feel like throwing yourself in front of a fast moving metro bus!! Why don't you talk to the doctor about switching to Methadone at this point? You are certainly pushing the limit on the oxycodone and folks who are taking methadone (I was one for years) don't seem to need the kind of increase in dosage as patients taking other opiates. Is there a particular reason why you have to return to taking the oxy after your "vacation"? You could also try the patch. But I fear that I am repeating what others have already told you in previous posts. You are going to be one tough cookie if you can get through a cold turkey withdrawal from all that oxy!!! Please consider your options carefully Aver before making any decision about terminating your meds. Good luck - Memere
    I totally agree with Memere. That level of oxy and a complete withdrawal is actually not safe from a medical standpoint unless you are really young and have absolutely no other medical problems; even then it will be one awful experience. Talk to your doctor if you have a good relationship and can be open and real. Above all if you decide to proceed, don't throw your meds away. Try to have someone you trust hold on to them just in case. Many or most doctors don't want to hear you ask for a refill because you threw yours away in an attempt to totally withdraw without a consultation. Stay safe...Paulo

Old 12-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

I am going to try the taper you described Dave - Yes I take oxycontin
    80tab+40tab 3 times a day plus the hydro for B/T - I think having Crohn's can sometime feel like w/d with the cold sweats and stomach problems and then came the cancer - now I want to be as well as possible buthave continued to take every pill I have due to fear of feeling bad - I sometimes think that I am having w/d symptoms when my Crohn's flairs and then up my meds because it will slow my stomach some - I am writing this while boohooing because I know that I can cut back from a pain standpoint -my PCP is a sweet dweeb that writes me anything and everything - my rheumatologists is the one that administers my Remicade each month and a little tougher on me I really do need to figure out this fear I have of w/d and get it under control - this has been a big secret the last year but I am not foolin ya at all, I am terrified and if my docs find out they may force me to cut back - I am going to start my taper in the morning! oh Lord help me dig down and be stronge again - I know I sound like a real kookoo bird Aver
    Hey Paulo - I am in my 50's and there is some short history at beginning of thread - tks for caring

Last edited by Aver00; 12-09-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

Dave - I just feel like you found me out with one comment - Never take a pill because of fear of w/d - that is my profile - I am really feeing guilty
    Aver

Old 12-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

[QUOTE=Aver00;3343239]Dave - I just feel like you found me out with one comment - Never take a pill because of fear of w/d - that is my profile - I am really feeing guilty
    Aver

Paulo here. Averoo, believe me, you aren't the first or only one who has ever taken a pill out of fear of w/d. Learning how to manage chronic pain with narcotic medication is for quite a few, a complex and confusing challenge. To be honest, I think it took me a couple of years to get it all straight and learn how to listen to my body. This is a safe place to discuss your fears and any other issues you need advice on or merely want to air your feelings about. I am new here myself, but very glad I found this site. I have been on other pain sites, sometimes witnessing some out front drug seeking opinions and views; but never one with the level of professionalism that this site offers, or with what I have seen is the high quality of caring people who take the time to read and write, and respond to others with interest in their welfare.
    Paulo

Old 12-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

Thankss so much - even though I do not know you I am still terribly embarrassed to admit that I am taking meds for other reasons than just pain - I have always been no, not me - And then I woke up and here I am and have just been keeping on because I can and no one would no the difference - I have just been a coward but I am going to work on this cuz even though no one else knows, I have learned from this board that my opinion counts too AND I know I am doing it great thanks Aver

Old 12-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #12
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

Averoo. We may not know each other, but that doesn't prevent honesty, as you just demonstrated. Don't be embarrassed, the whole thing is a slippery slope and we learn from our mistakes; it takes character and strength to admit a little inclination towards the euphoria side of our meds and not just the pain relief we need in order to live and thrive. It doesn't matter what anyone else knows or doesn't know. What you know is the important thing, and where you go with that knowledge will determine how your life goes. From my heart I say take the high road, the one that gives life and quality and doesn't steal something from you. And stay here, with us, your invisible friends...Paulo

Old 12-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #13
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

You are right this board is terrific and some of the people are folks you would want for friends and neighbors but you my friend are amazing - you have really made me feel so much better about all of this - you must have been through some tough times to be able to share your heart this way
    Peace be with you Aver

Old 12-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

Aver, Yes, through alot, like probably everyone here, but thankyou for your kind words; they make me feel good about myself too. Honestly, since the heart is only a metaphor for our inner feelings, it is through the heart that we find our way. Peace be with you as well...Paulo

Closed Thread