It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Is new pain from a Hairline Tibia Fracture worth calling the PM Doc?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
    Exclamation Is new pain from a Hairline Tibia Fracture worth calling the PM Doc?

Hi Everyone,

As many of you know, I am having problems with my pain management. I am living at a 6 to 10 on the pain scale, daily. I talked to the pm last month and they will not help me.

Now I have a new problem. My cp is abdominal. I started having severe stabbing pains in my ankle. (I had a previous serious fracture here, 3 surgeries, and thought it was just acting up). After 3 weeks, and worsening pain, I finally went to see my GP. I saw him 10 days ago. At that time, about every 10th step was a severe stabbing pain on the inside of my leg, right above the ankle. My GP is great and spent alot of time manipulated the ankle to recreate the pain. He couldn't until he pressed on the Tibia bone. I about went through the roof!

After x-rays that showed nothing, my GP said that he thought I had a stress/hairline fracture in my tibia. He wanted me to get a bone scan right away, as this can only get worse. At the time, it sounded worse than I felt, so I was not anxious. Unfortunately, due to emergencies at work, I had to re-schedule twice, and do not do the scan until tomorrow.

Here's the problem. The pain has gotten SO much worse in these 10 days. Now the stabbing pain is every 2 steps, and it hurts badly and throbs even when I am not on it. (Before it only hurt when walking and only at about every 10th step). I was adament with the GP about NO crutches, as I hate them, but these past few days I am actually wanting crutches my leg hurts so badly. The pain is so sharp I wince and suck in my breath and have to stop walking when it happens, even when I know it's coming.

My ankle was slightly swollen before, and now it's very swollen and there are blue and red broken blood vessels and slight bruising in that area. It is VERY painful, even when propped up and iced.

Here's my question. I have a bad feeling the bone scan is going to show a BAD hairline fracture. My job is constantly on the go, and I cannot stop and do a desk job while this heals. Even on crutches it is still very painful, and I feel the crutches will aggrevate my cp and fibro.

Is this worth calling the PM for? They say to call with significant increased pain, but this is a new problem, not my chronic pain. They also refused to help me with my increased chronic pain, so it's most likely wasted time and energy. I NEVER call to complain, so I wanted your opinion.

Is this worth telling the PM about, or do I just suffer this new pain, plus my cp like I have been doing?

Thanks for reading! I really appreciate you guys!

Amanda

P.S. I cannot take NSAID's due to erosions in my stomach from taking NSAID's for so many years!

Last edited by butrfligirl28; 12-09-2007 at 05:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
    stepbystep89
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
    Re: Is new pain from a Hairline Tibia Fracture worth calling the PM Doc?

I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck!
    I'm not really sure what your pm will do. I don't have a lot of experience with pm, but I can tell you what my mother always says - it's worth asking. Is there anything at stake here except for them telling you no.
    Keep up posted and I will keep you in my prayers.
    Step

Old 12-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
    Missy14
    (female)

Missy14 HB User

It's too bad you can't take NSAID's = while they won't help your pain much, they would help the inflammation caused by a fracture and decrease your pain a little. I would call your pm doc - and if they aren't helping you with your chronic pain, are you considering finding a new one (which I KNOW is easier said than done)? You deserve compassionate care and it doesn't sound like that is what you are getting my friend. Good luck - walk on the foot as little as possible. The bone scan will be very helpful. You may also need a brace on your foot, a walking boot kind of brace to stabilize the ankle as that will help to decrease the pain as well.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Butterfly - I don't want you to take this the wrong way....but I have to say it: I think that you need to LISTEN to what the doctors tell you and not pick and choose the advice that you are paying them for! Here you are in lots of chronic pain and you suspect a hairline fracture of your tibia....but you don't sound like you are doing what common sense would dictate: Get OFF your feet!! You don't like crutches?? Well that may be too bad!! How can you expect the pain to get better if you continue to walk on it? You say that you are too busy to bother with crutches? Well, the doctor may just suspect that you aren't nearly as uncomfortable as you are reporting. Why? Because you sound like you insist on continuing doing what you darn well please AND expect someone to help with the increased pain that is a direct result of not paying attention to what your doc is telling you!! If I am sounding very unsympathetic, then I apologize. As far as calling your pain management doc to report a new pain, you can certainly do that, but I suspect that they will want to see what the CT shows or the bone scan and would probably then refer you back to your ortho for casting, etc. My experience with quite a few foot and ankle fractures is this: Once you've gotten off your foot and had it braced, casted or a walking boot put on it, you will feel 100% better and may not need any additional pain meds. Good luck - I really do hope things look up for you - Memere

Old 12-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Memere,

My GP discussed crutches if this IS in fact a fracture, but did not tell me what to do in the mean time. I am assuming I will need crutches, but until these results, I can't just go out and buy them. I have been having to be very careful at work. I have missed time from work due to pain period, nowI am limping around and having a hard time as it is doing my job. My GP told me to wear only tennis shoes to work, but when I told my boss, she stated that this was against dress code and I could not do it. Then I missed half a day Thurs, due to my leg hurting so badly. My boss called and stated that they need a note from my doctor about my leg.

Look, I am under alot of pressure at work. It has been hard enough to keep up this stressful job and schedule with my regular pain and being able to walk. If you can imagine, it will be that much harder if I am unable to walk at all. I am doing what my doctor told me to, but until I have this scan, there is no treatment (besides the shoes) that I should be doing that I am not. I thought it was okay to vent here. It's not okay to say that I hate crutches, and don't want them unless absolutely necessary?

I wish it was just a matter of "doing what I darn well please." I need my job, and I am already having a hard time doing it. There is nothing worse that having that scrutiny at work. "What's wrong with her NOW?" I have worked so hard to get here, and I am struggling to keep this up. I know I should be taking better care of myself, but that's hard to do with no proof yet, and when I am already being scrutinized. I guess I shouldn't have posted this here.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
    BabyOwensMama
    (female)

BabyOwensMama HB User

I understand what Memere meant in trying to see it from a doctors point of view. If it hurts there,then don't touch there common sense. But it is not that easy if your job makes you touch the owie spot. Could you get your doctor to write a note saying you need to wear sneakers and stay off your feet as much as possible? I think if you need to wear a certain kind of shoe,hat,sock whatever for medical reasons it would be discriminating to penalize you for it. There has to be some sort of compromise I would hope. I hope it's not fractured and heals soon.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
    cpapp31
    Inactive
    (female)

cpapp31 HB User
    Smile Re: Is new pain from a Hairline Tibia Fracture worth calling the PM Doc?

Amanda, here are some gentle, cyber (((((HUGS)))))

Hopefully, you will get the results soon and go from there. I know how stressed you are about work. I know the feeling all too well. I recently had to quit my job, because I was missing so many days due to pain and doctor appointments. This was very hard decision, especially due to the holidays and a teenage girl and Hubby that depend on me.

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a rough time. I will keep you in my prayers.

Hugs,

Cpapp31

Old 12-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User

[QUOTE=Memere;3343398]Hi Butterfly - I don't want you to take this the wrong way....but I have to say it: I think that you need to LISTEN to what the doctors tell you and not pick and choose the advice that you are paying them for! Here you are in lots of chronic pain and you suspect a hairline fracture of your tibia....but you don't sound like you are doing what common sense would dictate: Get OFF your feet!! You don't like crutches?? Well that may be too bad!! How can you expect the pain to get better if you continue to walk on it? You say that you are too busy to bother with crutches? Well, the doctor may just suspect that you aren't nearly as uncomfortable as you are reporting. Why? Because you sound like you insist on continuing doing what you darn well please AND expect someone to help with the increased pain that is a direct result of not paying attention to what your doc is telling you!! If I am sounding very unsympathetic, then I apologize. As far as calling your pain management doc to report a new pain, you can certainly do that, but I suspect that they will want to see what the CT shows or the bone scan and would probably then refer you back to your ortho for casting, etc. My experience with quite a few foot and ankle fractures is this: Once you've gotten off your foot and had it braced, casted or a walking boot put on it, you will feel 100% better and may not need any additional pain meds. Good luck - I really do hope things look up for you - Memere

I second the above suggestions. If you have pain in the tibia or shin bone, and something precipitated it, and your doctor wants you off your feet, do yourself a favor and get off your feet. If the pain gets out of control and you can't wait for the CT or bone scan, go to ER, that is if you have insurance. They will at least provide you with a brace that may ease some symptoms. In any event, I wish you well and hope you know everyone means well...Paulo

Old 12-10-2007, 06:51 AM   #9
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

[If your pain is That bad than you should be on crutches. anyone can get crutches by the way, you get them at the pharmacy.... we all hate crutches but its better than limping around and being in pain and it sounds like your getting so much worse from walking on it if my pain was this bad work or not, I would not be putting pressure on it and I would have gotten crutches LONG ago.

Also your pain Dr is not going to help you until you have had this scan, that you have had to cancel twice now. You know how your PM doc is and he will not help you as he hasn't done it in the past so why would he now ( without any test results its not going to happen).

I think you need to stick to your apt tomorrow for the scan and go and get some crutches. than go to your PM Dr and have him TRY and help you with more pain meds as that is what you wanted last time you saw him and and he wouldn't give you any, but he might if he sees the severe injury you might have. I hope you can get this sorted out. No job is worth ruining your foot over, they will not fire you for being on crutches or wearing a tennis show that is against a dress code, that is absurd of them if they do.

good luck, SS

Old 12-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
    badoldback
    (male)

badoldback HB User

Hey Amanda,
    If your company is insisting on a note from your Doc, it's starting to look like they are paper trailing you to get rid of you. Be careful.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Amanda - Just wanted to say, once again, that my message wasn't meant as a put down or in any way an attempt to make you feel badly about venting on this board. Of course we want you to vent....we all need to do that. But sometimes we get a response that may sound harsh, like the one that I posted. It isn't meant in a vengeful way - it is meant to be an honest response to what I think might be a pattern of placing your doctor's advice below the importance of work schedules, what others may think, inconvenience, etc. We all do that at some point or another and I wasn't singling you out! Along with the "hugs" that we send out to each other, we sometimes have to sound out some straight-forward, no frills opinions. I've been on the receiving line of those kinds of posts and have to admit that they were usually "spot on" as far as describing my situation through objective eyes. So, I hope you will keep venting and not let my comments keep you from joining in. All the best - Memere (K'Mac) P.S.= I do believe that you are in the right when requesting an "accomodation" from your employer to wear sneakers or any other piece of clothing that the doctor recommends. This is, I believe, the law in most states. Get a doctor's note and start to keep track of any negative comments or underlying threats that you feel your boss may be making in order to set you up for a dismissal. You'll need this kind of info if you find yourself in a legal situation. Bye fore now! Memere

Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
    painaway
    Veteran
    (female)

painaway HB User

Gosh, Amanda, I'm sorry you're going through this rough time. I'll definitely be praying for your foot and your increasing pain level. I would agree that crutches are no fun, but they might help. I'll also agree that legally, your boss/work shouldn't be able to go against doc's orders. I understand that you don't want to have to deal with the "here we go again" attitudes you may encounter at work, but girl, when you hurt, you hurt! And only YOU know when you can't stand it any more. I think your PM doc will be more inclined to help you after you've had a scan. Please know you're in my prayers!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well I had the scan, and the tibia is fractured. I called my supervisor to let her know, and after she stated that she was surprised, she said she's see me in the morning. The radiologist said my doctor won't see the report for a few days. (They went ahead and told me, even when they weren't supposed to). I am not sure what to do until the doctor sees the post. I don't know what happens next. A cast, a boot?? Do any of you have suggestions until I see the GP?

Amanda

Old 12-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
    BabyOwensMama
    (female)

BabyOwensMama HB User

Ouch! Atleast you know what is wrong now and can get properly treated (hopefully) for it. You should call your doctor tomorrow and see if you can get him to look at the report sooner. It was cool of them to tell you ahead of time because it is definitaly something one needs to know ASAP especially because you are in so much pain. I've never broken any bones so I am not sure what comes next but I hope it comes soon and you can start feeling better. I am also someone who hates crutches and I used to sprain my ankle on a regular basis (cheerleading..lol Im such a klutz!) and I always used a cane instead of crutches, which might be another option for you. Besides, canes are much cooler than crutches (IMO). Take care and I hope you feel better soon!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #15
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey B fly,sorry to hear its a definite.just call your primary in the morning and let them know what you were told over the phone and hopefully be able to actually get in asap.they realistically should have either faxed that report right to your docs office or at least called and told him since it DOES need some attention ya know.it IS an actual fracture of bone you have there.in the meantime,it wouldn"t hurt to just do the RICE(rest ice compression elevation,as much as you can anyways) thing?keeping it elevated(anytime you are seated) will help reduce any swelling from inflammation that can develop and compression will at least semi spilint it at this point.your doc will do the rest when you see him,but it realistically should be as soon as possible.fractures of any kind just need to have those open bone ends kept together as much as possible at the right angles for best healing/fusion.hopefully you are not on any anti inflammatories as if you have ever had a spinal fusion,you already know that any level of NSAIDS can inhibit bone fusion.at this point i think you are probablty at the alternating hot/cold type of therepy,unless you have actual swelling going on.the first 24 hours is normally when they recommend icing.but anytime ice actually just feels better than heat or it just helps with the pain,it should probably be used.and you will need to obtain some crutches i think,at least for the next week maybe(kinda depends on what your doc actually does as far as splinting/casting)?the less weight bearing you actually do all the better ya know?i hope things get better at work for you too.you DO have some rights there that they need to be made aware of soon.speak with your human resources person about accomadating your needs there,they could be in violation already.if people are also 'talking about you' that too is also something that you do NOT have to tolerate either.just speak with HR.that could be considered harrassment in the workplace or a hostile working environment,like i said,look into your companies policies on this stuff thru your HR.hope things get better soon for you B fly.keep us posted.Marcia

Closed Thread