It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• 19 year old with chronic back pain, advice greatly appreciated

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #16
    KTbear
    (female)

KTbear HB User
    Re: 19 year old with chronic back pain, advice greatly appreciated

Zach, you can share doc info as long as its positive. . You're not able to say negative things about a doc if you mention their name, so if you want my docs info, I can share.

If methadone doesn't work, the Kadian is working a little so far. He's started me on one of the lower doses and is expecting me to use my BT meds for a little. Also, no bad side effects on my 1st dose, sleepy, but that's it so far.

What I really could use now is a good allergy medicine because this sneezing is absolute murder. . I'm not the only one who has a little piece of them die every time they sneeze am I? I have to grab something stable around me. . Chair, wall, bed, etc or I'm close to tears! If I get sick, I just give up!

Zach, hope you're staying warm! Its beautiful here in LA!
    -Kate

Last edited by KTbear; 12-22-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #17
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Zach - I'm concerned about your statement that the methadone isn't helping you at all. Methadone is such a great pain reliever and although it does take a little bit of time for your serum levels to get where they need to be, I would have thought that after 5 or more days you would have gotten a better outcome. When did you say that you see the doc again? Memere (K'Mac)

Old 12-23-2007, 01:09 AM   #18
    zach88
    (male)

zach88 HB User

Hi, thanks for the concern Memere.

I'm on 10mg of Methadone four times a day. When I asked my doctor about titrating he told me that it was unnecessary for my situation. He also didn't think it was necessary to give me breakthrough meds.

The doctor is a really nice guy, he's a great listener and really wants to get my better. I can tell by his interest in me every time we have a consult. He asks me how I'm doing personally, and strives to make the best suggestions towards making me more comfortable. He is however a VERY fast paced, hyped up guy, Very hard to get a word in sometimes. But that's just who he is.

He asked me if I wanted more Dilaudid, and I told him that 8mg four times a day was not working, and he couldn't believe that. But he did understand and recognize that my tolerance is naturally significantly high. I mentioned long acting meds, and went through my list of what I wanted to try first. I read a lot about Methadone and it seems like it's a godsend for many people, but others seem to have a lot of problems with the side effects that sometimes even outweigh the benefits of the painkiller. I would've loved to try appropriate doses of OxyContin and Kadian first though, because I have never taken a pain medication that is truly set for extended time release, and I wanted to try something along those lines. But, as soon as I went through the list, he jumped right onto Methadone, telling me that it has worked great for other patients who have high tolerances for narcotics. He said it was his favorite medication.

I really do like this doctor, and he is very open minded and agreeable to all of my thoughts and suggestions. He did do a nerve root injection this past friday, and I happen to be in a lot of pain ever since, on top of my usual pain. The Methadone is doing nothing to relieve my pain at all. I haven't gone even a day in the past several months without actually taking a narcotic, so perhaps it DOES help with the pain, just not enough for me to notice it. I don't know what's going on, but it's bizarre. I know how strong Methadone is, and I know I'm on a relatively high starting dose, but I am concerned that:

1. My PM doctor didn't want to consider titration on the Methadone because he didn't find it necessary.

2. He didn't prescribe me any breakthrough medications, even after I asked.

Might it start working in several days? Is it abnormal for me to feel this way after a nerve root injection?

Thanks for your concern, and feel better everyone.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #19
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Zach - if he's not prescribing breakthrough medication, then what is the Dilaudid for? Didn't you say he asked you if you wanted more dilaudid at your last appointment? I'm confused (as usual!!) Memere

Old 12-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
    stepbystep89
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

HI Zach,
    I do not have personal experience with Methadone, but I have done a little research on it. Last year my pm dr mentioned that we might use it, but we have found another plan that works.
    Methadone is dangerous for people who are not using it under a dr's care or that use it other than it is prescribed. This is because many times Methadone takes a while to kick in. Many people take the first dose and after a couple of hours they don't feel any relief from the pain, so they take another dose. When they go to bed that night, their body totally slows down due to the drug and they run the risk of breathing complications and sometimes they can even just stop breathing in their sleep.
    I am not writing this to scare you, but I thought it was worth mentioning in this post because you asked if Methadone might take a while to make a difference in your pain. I believe from what I learned last year that this could be true.
    Please remember to only take it as it is prescribed.
    Good luck and keep posting, so we know how you are doing!
    Step

Old 01-07-2008, 05:35 AM   #21
    zach88
    (male)

zach88 HB User

Going back to the pain management doctor on Wednesday, and I really am looking forward to it.

My doctor called me back promptly on Friday after I left a message saying my medications were not working well. He assured me that we'd work it out when I saw him and that everything would be ok.

I went from 8mg of Dilaudid four times a day to the 10mg of Methadone four times a day. I was kind of surprised, I went into my doctor a few weeks ago ready to get off of the Dilaudid and onto a long acting painkiller, and he initially just asked me if I wanted more Dilaudid. I just would've figure he would think to put my on a long acting painkiller after so much time. But when I brought it up, he went through the five or six of them (Oxycontin, Morphine - Avinvza, Kadian, Methadone, and Duragesic(sp?), and then immediately thought Methadone would be great for me. I really do think he hoped it would work well for me, but I guess that doesn't always happen. I'm hoping to get onto a painkiller that actually is time released, unlike Methadone.

As far a BT meds, he didn't want to put me on any with the Methadone, and I didn't want to push it. But whatever we change to, I really think BT meds are important. I was taking Norco for three months after my surgery, and although my relief from it only lasted for pushing an hour, it worked better than anything stronger that I have taken, and as far as breakthrough pain goes, I figure that that would do the trick.

So, hope that cleared up any questions about my breakthrough meds.

Zach

Closed Thread