It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Feeling Down When it Rains, It Pours

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
    Unhappy Feeling Down When it Rains, It Pours

Well, I am back from the doctor. My tibia is fractured and I am in one of those boots. This thing is very heavy and hard to walk in. He is giving me two weeks on just the boot, and if no better, then crutches.

The main thing that is bothering me, is that we have no idea how I broke it. Due to my pain, I am not able to excercise, I hardly make it to work everyday. The doc said that this injury would be seen in a marathon runner, not someone just walking around. I am overweight, but he said not enough to cause this.

So he thinks I may have osteoporosis. I am scheduled for a bone scan next week to diagnose it. My problem? I am 30 years old!How does someone develop osteoporosis at 30??? What does this mean for me? Is this just the beginning?

My pain is out of control, and I can already see it getting worse when I go work 8 hours tomorrow. I don't know if it's even worth call the PM center. It seems like when I complain, they just get annoyed with you. I have been looking for a new doc, and this certainly hampers those plans.

So sorry for the pity party. Just feeling scared and down. Hope everyone is having a low pain day to day. Thanks for listening.

Your Friend,

Amanda

Last edited by butrfligirl28; 12-12-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: Feeling Down When it Rains, It Pours

Amanda, I am sorry you are having such a rough time of it. I imagine that trying to lug the boot around would cause you some additional pain. I will be lifting you up in prayer and pray that you do not osteoporosis.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
    Sammiejoe
    (female)

Sammiejoe HB User

Hi Amanda,

I'm sorry to hear about your fracture...it's always something and right around the holidays, I can definitely relate...I always say, if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Anyways, as for the osteoporosis, I'm 37 and going through the same thing as you...I had a CT scan of my neck and they saw arthritis, but also the radiologist said it appears i have osteoporosis...It's rare for OP to start in your neck, so I'm really concerned...My doc is ordering a DEXA Scan...The Dexa is the preferred test for OP, so please ask your doc if you should have that test rather than a bone scan...Also, have your vitamin D levels checked...I am very deficient in vit D and that can cause a condition called Osteomalacia, which is a painful bone disorder that usually predates OP.

Have the OP test done ASAP, because if you do have it, the treatment for your fracture may need to be different...Fractures are common with OP and they don't heal as well as if you had healthy bones.

Keep your chin up, I know it's easier said than done...If you have OP, you need to make another appt with your PM doc, not the nurse and discuss your pain management...You desearve pain relief and you're definitely not getting it now.

Good luck,
    Sammie

Old 12-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I know what you mean Amanda. I was just driving along 2 days ago and a rock comes off this dump truck and hits my windshield and cracks it. I know it's not a huge thing but I have had two major claims this year on this car. I feel like I can not take any more either. I guess we just have to keep going no matter what life deals us. Sometimes I wonder what is the point and would it really matter if I wasn't here. But I do have a positive influence on quite a few people and I am sure many peope would be pretty upset and sad if I wasn't here. I try to realize that there is a purpose for my life and do the best I can each and every day. No one is promised tomorrow so we have to do our best just for today.

Brian

P.S. Maybe your doctor can start you on that Fosamax. I know that my mom takes that for Osteoporosis and brittle bones. I think it actually makes your bones stronger. I believe you take it only once a month.

Last edited by brianpain33; 12-12-2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: had to add the P.S.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Thank you Pepper, Sammie,and Brian.

I am having the DEXA scan next Monday. I sure hope this isn't osteoporosis, but we'll wait and see. Sammie, so sorry about your diagnosis, I understand your fear. Brian, I hear you buddy. Sometimes it just feels like one more thing is going to throw you over, then three more things happen! LOL It's like God is saying, "Oh yeah? Giving up I see......Nah you can take a bit more."

I want to strangle the inevitable, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger", but you know, I guess that IS true. I wish a good break from bad news, rocks flying near ANYTHING you own, and bad doctors.

Hugs to all of you, and thanks.

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 12-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User

When it rains it does pour, and for many of us it might feel like we live in a rain forest were an umbrella is our only defense. Sometimes when I read the posts, yours for example, my heart becomes heavy with the knowledge that there is so much pain and suffering in life. I went to my first and last pain group the other day, and the psychologist asked me to introduce myself and list my pain sources. The whole list, with all the medical jargon, like radiculopathy and radiculitis, is ridiculous, so I went for the short list. I'm also the only male in the group, which made me feel a bit disadvantaged as I don't have the release that tears provides. But one woman was funny in an honest way. She said she knows it is awful to feel good when she hears how much worse off someone else is, but she can't help it. I think I moved on from that a few years back. Now when I see or hear of others with health problems that make living tenuous, in terms of enjoyment and quality of life, it doesn't make me feel any better. I am sorry Amanda that you are suffering the fear and anxiety that comes from not knowing why your tibia fractured, but knowing also that there must be a cause and it might not be just a feak of nature kind of thing, but could be OP. Maybe we do get stronger through adversity, but I know one thing, long term illnesses can strain even the most saintly nerves of friends and family, and does require that we believe in our own worth as human beings. When we lose that, it becomes easier for despair to be more of a companion than we would ever want; chronic pain is a sufficiently annoying companion for all of us. Best wishes for negative findings on the scan, but if you do find it is OP, you will also start a new learning and coping curve that will give you the strength to carry on. My heart goes out to you...Paulo

Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
    music47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

music47 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Feeling Down When it Rains, It Pours

Hi Amanda

Sorry you have to wear one of those boots. I wore one for about two months when I had my ankle fusion so I know they are very unconfortable. Hopefully you won't have to use the crutches in two weeks. I couldn't use them either.

As for osteoporosis, I was diagnosed with it about a year ago. I take a pill once a month and that's it.

Hang in there Amanda,you'll be feeling better soon.

Nadine

Old 12-16-2007, 12:38 AM   #8
    Stephie2007
    (female)

Stephie2007 HB User

Hi Amanda, I know exactly how you feel. I'm 34, and just got home this morning after having kyphoplasty to my T7 vertebra. I've had pain for 10 years, starting shortly after giving birth to my first son. I went to a ton of doctors but they never found anything so I gave up. Then, years later, after having insurance, I decided to go back to see if there would be a diagnosis. Still nothing, after a few tests, so again, I gave up (this was around age 29). Finally, I decided once again this past spring to go to the doctor again. The pain was getting worse, after learning to live with a certain level. I pretty much told them how it was, that I was not drug seeking and this pain was not in my head, so she got on the ball. I had an MRI first, which showed the degenerative changes, too many for my age, so she did a DEXA. My score is -2.4, full blown osteoporosis of course is -2.5. I held off on the Fosamax and started aggressive vitamin treatment. During the kypho, the neurologist discovered that my bones are soft, almost spongy, so now I wonder if I have osteomalacia instead of osteoporosis and if this is why I have the pain. The OP treatments are also contraindicated for OM.

Yes, when it rains, it does pour. But we have to pray for sunny days, right? Maybe the right treatment is out there, if they can find the actual cause in the first place.

Stay strong,

Stephanie

Old 12-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User

We all wonder "why me" when we get a diagnosis for a disease or condition that we feel should be years in front of us, not when we are still young. There is no consolation prize, but for each one of us who shares our sorrow for another, and provides words of comfort, we are really helping someone else, and even though we are suffering also, to provide support, encouragement, and our prayers is a reflection of our strength. Paulo

Closed Thread