It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Has anyone noticed a difference between the generic oxycontin and the brand version?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User
    Has anyone noticed a difference between the generic oxycontin and the brand version?

Since I finally got insurance October 1st and was able to take the load off of my primary doctor who had been carrying me with a norco prescription, by getting into a pain management clinic, who prescribed oxycodone SR, which is what my formulary will pay for, and what the pharmacist told me is the same formula as oxycontin, I have had more problems with this med than ever before. I have in the past two weeks kept a journal, which is pretty easy as I am only taking two 20mg oxycodone SR per day. The inconsistency has been astonishing. On any given day I don't know what to expect. I always take my meds as prescribed, or try to. But that becomes complicated when a pill that is supposed to last 12 hours, or at least 8 full hours, lasts only 4 hours, or maybe 6. On other days I have had one pill last 17 hours!
    Has anyone else noticed this kind of wide variation in the use of the generic version of oxycontin? This shouldn't be. By law there is not supposed to be any variation in the formula between a generic and the brand version, yet here it is.

I did a superficial search and found several reports confirming my experience. I am going to call my insurance RX dept tomorrow and make sure that as long as I pay the difference in copay, I can get the brand version, as the average length of time one pill will last, and I mean completely exhaust all analgesic sensation to the point where I will feel the telltale symptoms that my system is clear, is about 8 hours. That leaves me with a dark place in the 24 hour day that makes management of a monthly prescription difficult. If others who are taking the generic would please post their experiences, good, bad, or normal, I would appreciate it. Thanks...Paulo

Last edited by moderator2; 12-17-2007 at 05:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
    zach88
    (male)

zach88 HB User
    Re: Has anyone noticed a difference between the generic oxycontin and the brand versi

I'm sorry about your distress Paulo. I've never been on Oxy, but I have had experience with generic vs. brand name.

As far as OxyContin goes, I think there's only one company that manufactures a generic version, so it should be pretty easy to find the brand name. But I know how expensive it can be and how annoying some insurance can be as far as covering it. I've been on a LOAD of narcotics over the past eight months or so, and almost all of them have been generic, because I wouldn't have given it a thought to ask the doctor to fill in the DAW. However, there was one time where my pharmacy did not have a generic version of Norco so they gave me the brand name, and the difference was tremendous. I was really, really surprised.

I've had a lot of trouble with most of my medications being effective, and I'm seeing my PM doctor tomorrow and making sure whatever I get is brand name. After my one experience, I went online and did some research on what the standards were for generics, and everything involved in the differences between generic and brand name. Supposedly there's like 20% room that the FDA gives the pharmaceutical companies to change around fillers and stuff like that in the drugs, that may change the way the pill is metabolized, but not so significantly. However, the active ingredient does need to be exactly the same, so I still didn't understand. I then came across an article about generic vs. brand name for narcotics, and it was very, very telling, and also interesting. The pharmaceutical companies have to derive almost all of the narcotics they make from opium, which means they have to purchase the opium, and it's mostly gotten from Asia. Supposedly, more "premium" opium is used for brand names to derive something like codeine or morphine, or, oxycodone, and for the generics, they use less expensive opium. So, while the active ingredient and amount of it remains exactly the same between the two, the quality of the chemicals being used do differ.

I found this very interesting when I read it, and I have confirmed it with several doctors. For most medications, generics do suffice just as well as the brand name, but narcotics are notorious for being tremendously inconsistent. This is also a reason why many people don't like certain manufacturers versions of pills compared to others, notably with Mallinckrodt products.

I hope this provided some insight for you, because I found it to be pretty interesting stuff, especially for someone who takes narcotics regularly. I'm going to make sure from now on to have my prescriptions be filled as brand name, just because I'd rather pay forty more dollars and get more relief for a month, than be frustrated and depressed for a month and pay only seven dollars. Hope this helped, and feel better!

Old 12-17-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: Has anyone noticed a difference between the generic oxycontin and the brand versi

If you do an advanced search on this, you will see numerous threads stating that there is a large difference in brand name versus generic. Personally I have only had the generic and I plan on asking my doctor to humor me and perscribed brand name only.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
    videogamecrazed
    (male)

videogamecrazed HB User

hello there Paulo,

I currently am takingn Oxycontin 20mg x3 a day due to my body metabolizing things quickly. This does work wonder for me but i have to get the name brand ONLY and my DR does write this as medically necessary. I can and will tolerate the brand of generics by WAtson but cannot tolerate by any means the TEVA brand. Due to Walgreens no longer carrying the Watson I must fill my RX with name brand only to avoid any issues. Yes the name brand in my opinion is SUPERIOR to even the watson's. Hope this helps and like you stated if you search the boards here you will see many of my posts concerning this as well as others.

God bless and good day,

videogamecrazed.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

I use the teva brand and it works well for me, but I have also increased my nerve meds so this could be why, I did try the name brand a few times and really didn't notice that much of a difference so I went back to the teva. I did have issues with it in the past but lately its been working well for my pain, so for me I like the teva brand. go with the name brand if you feel it gives you better pain control but its a LOT more money...

SS

Old 12-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

Thanks to everyone who responded to the above question. That was particularly interesting what you wrote, Zach, about the range allowed for 'filler' products. I have not just found the generic to be inconsistent, but I have also had some undesirable side effects, and by now anything that affects my health in even a slightly negative way affects pain levels. I did check with my insurance rx dept today and they have no problem allowing the brand oxycontin from Purdue as long as my doctor writes it that way. This is the first time I had ever had the generic, in the past it has always been the name brand, so it has been quite a learning curve. I have also had generic norco, and I did notice a difference between white and the brand yellow, but it wasn't nearly as significant as this difference. I wonder how well tested these "filler" products are that bind the narcotics together into pill form? I will be having another set of nerve conduction tests and EMG's day after tomorrow, at which time I will also get the results of brain MRI and MRA, along with all the usual and new laboratory tests that were run last month. I like this new neurologist, because there is quite compelling history of diagnoses calling my neuropathy either CMT, the inherited type, of which I have characteristics of two different types; and then because a CMT genetic panel could not confirm the disease, but did confirm an unknown inherited type of neuropathy, I have been in the idiopathic category for quite some time. The new neurologist just brushed all that history aside and decided to start from scratch in his investigation; I'll be surprised in a good way if he arrives at a different opinion. There is nothing I wouldn't do to have a TREATABLE disease, although i can't think of what drugs they could use that I haven't already tried. Anyway, again thanks for the feedback, will post the results of my neurology diagnosis...Paulo

Old 12-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
    Crohns30
    (male)

Crohns30 HB User

It is harder to divert (abuse) generic rather than the brand name. Which is good.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crohns30 View Post
    It is harder to divert (abuse) generic rather than the brand name. Which is good.
    I wouldn't know about that, but I would suspect that if you chewed them up like an addict would, which is what I understand people do to get high because of the rapid release, they would probably do the same job. My question was more concerned with the consistency of generic versus brand. Having only been on the Purdue oxycontin prior to six weeks ago when I went on the generic oxycodone SR, I have since noticed that one pill might last 8 hours, another might last only 4 (that has only happened once) while another of the generic might last 17 hours, (again, only once has that happened), whereas I never noticed any inconsistency in the brand version; it provided good coverage as it was supposed to, most of the time I could count on 11 to 12 hours of relief. I have also noticed extra side effects, which I assume might be an individual reaction to the 'filler' compound used to bind the narcotic into pill. I will be going back on the brand version on my next refill, as it makes it harder to manage a 30 day supply when they don't last longer than 8 hours.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

I am not sure I know the difference between the "teva" or the "watson" brands. My 20mg pills are slightly pink and stamped with 93 on one side and 31 on the other. Does anyone know what brand those might be? Thanks..Paulo

Old 12-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

It should say some where on the bottle or the presciption info sheet. However if it doesn't then you can always call the pharmacy and just ask.

Brian

Old 12-20-2007, 04:49 AM   #11
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Paul - It is the TEVA brand. It is what I have.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
    John1201
    (male)

John1201 HB User

There's going to be a difference. It's not merely the chemical construct of the active medication that got Perdue the patent. It's the delivery system. There's degradeable mesh (casing) around brand Oxycontin which releases the dose in 12 hour intervals - all things being equal. If you have diarrhea in some cases the "ghost" will come out and there will be medicine remaining. This is why in the literature they speak of "ghosts" in bowel movements. If this round (brand) spherical were to show up in the movement and be see through - not to worry, and went on to explain what it was and why it was there. This is the empty casing of what contained the pure dose of oxycodone. This is why in anyway breaking the casing led to people's deaths. It states quite clearly - at least for those who earnestly need and take as prescribed this now potent medication - the pill is to be taken INTACT.

In the generics there are more fillers - the construct of the casing is NOT in the same configuration as Perdue's and this is a sticking point in the patent release. Endo and TEVA's release mechanism is not the same as Perdue's - but they had their own research going on when Perdue did also. They have confidence in it. I do not share this confidence and from reading here and elsewhere it's misplaced and the increase in breakthrough meds has sky-rocketed as logic would dictate. Not surprising post-marketing of generics don't hold the attention new brands have at market. Though this one should.

Mechanism of release notwithstanding - at the height of deaths from Oxycontin - Perdue attempting to hold onto their patents - experimented with microbeads. These beads were to be included with the potent dose and if the pill was in anyway damaged(biting, crushing, etc.) these beads would be crushed also and they contained a narcotic agonist - insuring the chemical bonds of the active ingredient were neutralized. Whether or not these are now being used or employed by others, I haven't heard. What I do know is I switched to Fentanyl patches because the usefulness of Oxycontin plummeted to under 6 hours. If I needed to switch pharmacies for insurance or moving - my doctor had to make several calls and if I requested brand was told they no longer carried it. Feeling like a fugitive from justice - I gave up. Now same thing with Fentanyl. Milan puts out a generic with a different mechanism for skin absorbtion based on silica. While Duragesic - by Jaansen - the main brand delivers by osmotic tension from a barrier patch. Jaansen also makes Sandoz - which I can now get (costs less) made as a generic but is easier to use and fits my schedule better. Milan's generic is unpredictable and more responsive to temperature changes which were not to my liking. I need to use Tegaderm to keep it on in warmer months so it doesn't wrap up in my jeans or fall off - but I don't get the "looks" as though the DEA or ATF or FDA or who all knows are ready to draw down on me the minute I walk out of the pharmacy.

If the people who were in chronic pain were able to come together and give answer to the need of a medication like Oxycontin instead of - and I am sympathetic to those who've lost someone - those who blame the company manufacturing a legal treatment for multiple chronic pain conditions would have had more control over the dosage quality for these conditions and the influence THEY should have over a treatment meant for them in the first, second and last place. That abusers and criminals dictate this now - negates the reason such a treatment was developed in the first place. I doubt those dead bothered to read the package insert or have the discussion with their physician's as to how to use the medication - needed or not.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #13
    paulo60
    Inactive
    (male)

John,

Excellent response. I had suspected that there was some fundamental difference in the delivery system, hence the inconsistency in product release; but I also think that the binding agents or fillers might be something that doesn't quite agree with me, although the longer I am on them the more manageable the prescription becomes. I am switching back to brand on the next refill. I have been on fentanyl twice and it didn't agree with me, but everyone is different, with more or less enzymes than the next person to aid the metabilization and absorption process. I have a fairly stable pain disorder, which spikes generally when I am ill or have had difficulty sleeping, so I can maintain my current protocol indefinitely, even if I have days where one pill doesn't last the necessary time it is still in my blood serum (usually) so that I don't begin to experience withdrawal symptoms. All the publicity from addictive minded get high oriented people who turned oxycontin into hillbilly heroin which ensued in loss of life put a dent in pain management in certain areas of the country, but not where I live. Happy New Year...Paulo

Old 01-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
    YohBlondie52
    (female)

YohBlondie52 HB User

ABSOLUTELY a difference!! I took the generic for a few months and they did not do well at all. Now my Dr. writes "dispense as written" and I am lucky enough to get name brand for only $10 more. Well, worth it!!

Another thing that my Dr. told me was that according to FDA guidelines, the generic has to be (this is not the exact numbers) somewhere between 90%-110% strength as the name brand. So, sometimes you may get a strong batch and sometimes a weak one.

Also, I have never found them to last a whole 12 hrs. Usually for me, it's between 6-8 hrs.

Hope this helps! Good luck and hope that you are able to get back on the name brand.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

The only one I have problems with is the Teva and I just do not get the same pain relief - the others seem to be the same except they only last 8 hours on me - my doc writes mine for every 8 hours and it has greatly reduced the need for breakthru meds - It seems everyone has Teva problems and my pharmacists says he only takes it from distributor in emergencies - hope this helps Love and Peace Aver

Closed Thread