It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Ultram & Cymbalta

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
    Ultram & Cymbalta

I'm sure someone has already asked this question, but I can't find the answer when I do a search. Does anybody on the boards take Cymbalta AND Ultram? I know there is a red flag for interaction between the two unless carefully monitored - due to the seratonin re-uptake issue - but: I'd like to hear from people who have actually taken them together and if they had any seizure activity as a result. This is not for me, but for a neighbor. Thanks folks - Memere (K'Mac)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
    stymie82
    (male)

stymie82 HB User
    Re: Ultram & Cymbalta

Hi Memere, I've taken the two together when I was trying to stretch my Lortab to last until getting a docs appointment to up my pain meds. I have adhesive arachnoiditis and take a cocktail of meds to cover the symptoms. When I filled my Ultram prescription for the first time, my pharmacist warned me about the serotonin syndrome interaction. My son is also a pharmacist and warned me about the same thing.
    I looked online and could find no magic number of how much of these you could take together w/o being at risk. I would never counsel someone to chance it, though I tried it myself without a problem. I know that some people take 400 mg. of Ultram a day and don't get the syndrome. Having a seizure and being hospitalized on various drips 'til you recover is not something folks should really chance.
    Bottom line-it's probably not wise to chance it.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

It also has alot to do with the dosages of each. I was taking around 150mg/day of Ultam and started on 10mg/day of Prozac and in less than a week I developed serotonin syndrome which was absolutely terrible. However, I started on Effexor 37.5mg/day and Ultram 100-125mg/day and I have been doing alright. So you don't really know for sure when the serotonin syndrome is going to happen and if it really will. If your neighbor is taking 400mg/day of Ultram then it probably would not be a good idea to start the Cymbalta. Although when I was taking the Cymbalta I was taking this high of a dose but I did not experience serotonin syndrome so maybe Cymablta is different.

Now that I think about it Cymbalta and Effexor are SNRI's. I think Cymbalta and Effexor are both weak reuptake inhibitor of serotonin and more heavy reuptake inhibitors of norepinepherine. So she should be alright although close monintoring should be done. Hope that helps.

Brian

Old 12-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

That's news to me!! I just successfully got off ultram. I've been on it for about 4or 5 years and cymbalta for about 3 yrs. Never heard anything about the red flag. After not having any ultram for a couple of days I feel kind of like my mental state is fragile. Fred

Old 12-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Fred:
    Make sure you use this board for support. The withdrawal from the Ultram can be VERY bad especially the depression part. Can I ask how long you had been cutting down before you got off of them?

Brian

Old 12-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

High Brian. I've learned so much from this board. I think I'll tell my pm doc about it.
    I started tapering a few weeks ago. I went from 150mg/per day to 100mg for about one and a half weeks. Then 50mg for another week or so.Talk about depression! I am a 55 yr old widower, my son is in the AirForce stationed in Germany an he's gone from phone calls every couple of weeks to an e-mail when he gets to it. Well now it's been about 3 months since the last e-mail. Add that to being alone especially this time of year. Plus living with pain level 4/6. Let me put it this way, I've been really going through the Kleenex. Fred

Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Fred, gee my heart breaks for you, make sure you get the kleenex with lotion because if I were in you shoes I would be going through a box aday & the old nose would be feeling it. You hang in there & you are always in my prayers! You have been a help to me & I am sure others to. How do you like this weather, what a mess! Take care, Sammy

Memere, how nice of you to inquire for your neighbor, meds can be dangerous & I hope she is careful.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

I take 400mg of Ultram per day and 30mg of Cymbalta daily and have experienced no ill effects whatsoever. Yes, my pharmacy has alerted me to the potential interactions. And I've taken it up with my docs and all are OK with the present situation.

steve

Old 12-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Sammy, The only good thing I can say about this weather is thank God it will only last for a few months.

Closed Thread