It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Terrible Pharmacy Experience This Evening

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2007, 01:29 AM   #16
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: Terrible Pharmacy Experience This Evening

[QUOTE=HappyFlower;3358399

She asked my son if his "neck hurt" and he gave her those puppy eyes and said yes. She explained about the ice cream, asked my permission, and gave him a little cup of ice cream. Not much, just a few bites, but my Mommy heart melted! How sweet. Needless to say, he is ready to go back!
    [/QUOTE]

Now that is the star treatment we all deserve!! If they were in my neck of the woods, I would use them for my scripts in a heartbeat. It is nice to be treated with compassion for a change.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2007, 01:43 AM   #17
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by conductor View Post
    Dear Sandi,

Even though it completely pains me, I guess--reluctantly--I understand that a pharmacist can refuse to fill a prescription. What bothers me the most, however, is the fact that this pharmacist was not truthful. Fine. If the pharmacist doesn't want to fill something, s/he should be upfront and honest to the patient--by telling the real reason. But, stating that the medication is not available and needs to be ordered REALLY IRKS ME since it wasn't the truth in this instance. I wish I was as altruistic as this may seem, but I'm really exhausted with pharmacists and pharmacies from my past.

I am so fortunate that I have had such a willing pharmacy and pharmacist over the last few years (since around 1997)! "Gratitude" doesn't come close to expressing my feelings.

Take care, everyone.
    Jon (Conductor)

Hi Jon,
    I totally agree with you, there was no reason for the dishonesty. If she had bothered to check, those dosages were the same as they had been for a year. I never filled early, "lost " my meds , or had any other problem at that pharmacy or any other one either. She was on a power trip and she decided that since it was being dispensed for 8 hour dosing, and and it is supposed to be "12 hour" that she disagreed with the doctor's dosing, therefore she was not going to fill it.....and that's what she did.
    I made a point of letting the company know about what she did, and the other pharmacists backed me up on the facts that my scripts were always 30 days, always the same dosage schedule, and that there were no "having to back order " circumstances, it was there, she simply did not want to fill it.....so she didn't. She also does not work there anymore.
    I have found that those pharmacies that are best for people in our circumstances are those that are "mom and pop" type or ones where the pharmacist is over the ages of 25...........seems that until they have some real life experiences, they tend to think they are doctor's and not pharmacists.
    Sandi

Old 12-21-2007, 06:54 AM   #18
    scrappinmaniac
    (female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Happy Flower - Lol..nope, I don't mind if you borrow my quote.

Isn't it pretty bad that we have children and it's easier to deal with them then (at the moment) pharmacist's? Next week it may be nurses or doctors...lol.

My PM dr's office is not located in the town I live in but I'm going to call my Primary today, who I love and have never had a problem with, and ask for a pharmacy recommendation. Thanks for the heads up.

May God Bless You.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #19
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

hi all ,
    happy holidays,i wish we all had a mom and pop pharm. in our area,we should all be treated like that . and never be in fear over them.that is my new years reslalion(SP)to stand up for my self ,i do nothing wrong,i have nothing to fear,so the time i am treated like a druggie by a pharm i will call the boss?pray for me>>>. everyone be safe and pain free (i hope) during the holidays and all the years long. kelsey

Old 12-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #20
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

My guardian angel pharmacist, I hate to say, works for Target. If God sent wings down to live people, she would be wearing them. I stumbled in there one day with all of my handful of scrips because my local pharmacy was "out of" half of the ones that I usually take. I had called and asked if they had any of the drugs in stock and she wa srather curt over the phone... I was a little taken back, but drove on over anyway.

When I got in, she looked at me and appologized for her rudeness. She explained that she was hesitant to talk about Calss II narcotics over the phone because of the trouble that could ensue. She filled all of my scripts and asked if I would be wanting to use this pharmacy on a monthly basis, IF I did, she would be sure to order my supply in advance and keep it aside so that I wouldn't be inconvenienced when I came to get my scripts filled mid month. I was so taken aback I must have looked like I had seen a ghost...

That was last year. Since then, I have found my meds waiting every month. I have had a bout of sinus infection was deathly ill with my hubby out of town. Went in for my drugs...she looked and me and asked me why I was on this certain drug as I have an allergy to penicillin. I was too sick to have noticied..she had me sit down, she paged my doctor got the scropt changed and then proceeded to tell me how to take it, sent me home and to bed. I felt like my mother was there to tuck me in.

There is never month that I don't get a sweet hello and a few minutes of a visit. What an absolute delightful young person she is. When I thanked her for taking such good care of me I asked her why she was so attentive to cp folks.
    she said that she had a cp professor in college and she never forgot the lecture he gave on cronic pain. She said that she vowed that she would always try to help relieve pain like that.

I wish all of you a guardian pharmacist like mine.....

Old 12-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #21
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Hi all this is a little off topic but I just have to put in my 2 cents worth. Picture this: My wife of 27 years was in the hospital with terminal lung cancer. She was having lots of pain from a proceedure they tried and the doctor kept upping her pain meds. But the nurses refused! They said it would put her over the tylenol limit so they wouldn't administer. I don't think she was declared terminal yet, come to think of it. But the doctor was ordering drugs and the nurses refusing. They said if they got caught it would be their licenses. So we got her out of there and on the needed drugs at home. After that she went into the nursing home under hospice. I'm here to tell you now they know how to deal with pain! She quit taking her drugs by mouth so they just casually applied one of them to her arm as they were talking with her. I could sure use some of that now! Sorry that was 25 cents worth.
    Fred

Old 12-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #22
    scrappinmaniac
    (female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Hello Ibake&pray - Thanks for sharing your inspirational story. I'm glad you have such a wonderful pharmacist. I hope to find a more professional one soon. I'm a Christian and believe everything happens for a reason, and while I'm not sure why my pharmacist was unkind to me, I'm sure God will reveal His reasoning soon enough. I'm sure by then it'll make perfect sense. Take care and have a Blessed Christmas.

Hi Arthr Itis - Thank you so much for posting your story. It didn't matter at all that it was off topic. Ofcourse, being a woman, before I could reply I had to stop crying and blow my nose, but it was a good cry . It's a shame that nurses would be so concerned about losing their licenses when it came to your wife's pain and her doctor's orders. Hospice nurses have to be angels sent by the Good Lord above to do what they do everyday. I know you much have been grateful to those hospice ladies or gents. If you don't mind me asking, has your wife passed away? If she has, I'm sincerely sorry for your loss and I hope she's in Heaven with the Lord. May God Bless You. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #23
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User

Please realize that this response is a reply to the last few posts in this thread.

I felt like my Minister was delivering a message specifically for me. Frankly, I had been treated so poorly--and in a public manner--that I could hardly contain my emotions, tears included. The subject matter dealt with my Pain Management medications. However, this guy told the congregation over a period of weeks that it is not our place to do anything but forgive. After he said that "punishment" (that wasn't the exact word he used) was God's business--not our business--I realized that I didn't any longer want the person who initiated the truly hateful treatment I received to ever be treated as badly. Plus, the forgiveness factor softened my heart. Now...I must tell you that, of course, I have to continually remind myself of this lesson. But, when I do...I am relieved.

Bluntly, I'm still angry over the incident that began this thread, but maybe we've all learned a lesson and a way to handle it. Let's hope so.

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Old 12-21-2007, 11:34 PM   #24
    trowftd3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

trowftd3 HB User

Scrappin and Fred, Yes, those hospice nurses are sent straight from heaven. My mom had the most terrific male nurse during her last weeks. The lady who took care of her before she was put on hospice is now my adopted sister!
    Fred, if your wife has passed please accept my condolences and if not keep up the good fight and enjoy every minute. Take care~Mush

Is there any sort of sensitivity training in pharmacy school? Or is it all numbers and drug interactions?

Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #25
    jodom1979
    Inactive
    (male)

jodom1979 HB User

I wanted to comment on the sensetivity training. I live in a college town and my pharmacy gets flooded with intern students and they all act as though they have had some sort of training. Really polite and talkative... Its kinda like they are reading from a script or something. Its not just at my pharmacy The mrs. has her filled at another pharmacy and they are almost identical in manner there.. Kinda freaky LOL! I am so used to being treated like the next jerk in line.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #26
    HappyFlower
    (female)

HappyFlower HB User

...maybe since they are interns they have not been around long enough to become jaded and judgemental...it is still fresh in their heads what a pharmacist is designed to be...a part of a healthcare team. Not an almighty judge with a corn-cob stuck up his/her booty.

Closed Thread