It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Terrible Pharmacy Experience This Evening

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
    scrappinmaniac
    (female)

scrappinmaniac HB User
    Terrible Pharmacy Experience This Evening

Hello Everyone.

I am FURIOUS about my experience at the pharmacy this evening.

Let me explain what happened. My PM doctor increased my oxy dose last Thursday but my current oxy and percocet scripts weren't scheduled to run out until 12.21.2007. When I saw him last Thursay he gave me new scripts with a note stapled on each script saying to fill the new scripts today, 12.19.2007.

When I dropped off the scripts tonight the pharmacist said b/c a few times in the last 3 or 4 mths I've gotten my scripts filled a day or 2 early that next mth I couldn't fill my new scripts until the day I actually run out of pain meds. I know he didn't tell me this b/c my insurance company had a problem with me filling my scripts a day or 2 early b/c he said this to me 30 seconds after I handed him the new scripts. He obviously knows me by name and what, thought, he'd teach me a lesson, b/c I must be a druggie b/c of what I take????

Who does he think he is? So, he's saying I have to wake up in severe pain on the day I no longer have any pain meds, make myself look presentable enough to go out in public, get my toddler up, feed him, dress him, get him somehow in the car (even though I don't do that now at all b/c my pain is too severe with pain meds) and drive to the pharmacy?

The pharmacist working tonight must be new because I don't know him but this is where me and my husband have had all our scripts filled at for years now. They know us so well now they no longer ask our name when we drop off or pick up scripts. I can only assume the pharmacist thought I was filling my scripts a day or 2 early b/c I am a "druggie". He acted very arrogant and was very obviously talking down to me, "the poor, pitiful druggie", whatever, I am so fed up with people placing that label on those of us that are just truly dealing with severe, chronic pain. I cannot let this arrogant man get away with this. I want something done about this but I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions? I would appreciate any advice.

Since my spinal discs/severe chronic pain problems began I feel like I'm constantly at war with someone - doctors, insurance companies, hospitals, pharmacies - does it ever end? I want peace, not war .

Please give me some advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: Terrible Pharmacy Experience This Evening

I am sorry this happened to you and just wanted to let you know that I understand your feelling that you are constantly at war with someone since you began having spinal problems. I feel the same way especially when it comes to meds. Believe me I would be off them in a heart beat if I could and be out there living life to the fullest. It just isn't happening unfortunately....
    ((((Hugs))))) and prayers are sent your way.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
    painaway
    Veteran
    (female)

painaway HB User
    Angry Re: Terrible Pharmacy Experience This Evening

OH MY GOODNESS...That makes me SO mad, I could just SPIT (at him, LOL)!!!! Ok, if I were you, I'd talk to the owner (if it's a family-owned pharm), or I'd talk to the manager or district manager (if it's a chain pharm). That is just terrible, and WILL NOT be tolerated!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think he has that kind of power, but maybe I'm wrong. What a loser. He must be feeling pretty insecure today, so he thought he'd bully somebody to make himself feel important!! Ugh, I'm just fuming!!

After I made a stink, I'd probably think about going elsewhere. Pharmacies like that DON'T DESERVE YOUR BUSINESS!

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. He said that because he thought you, the submissive pain patient, would not want to make waves and would just take it quietly! Well, girl, MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!! Make him wish he'd offered to fill it earlier than usual!

Please let us know what you decide to do. Don't let him do this. If you do, he'll do it to the next guy...and the next, and you again one day.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: painaway
    mgm55 (02-15-2011)
    Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
    scrappinmaniac
    (female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Thanks Diet.

I appreciate your hugs and prayers.

I feel better since I've posted. Talking to people that have been there and truly understand how I feel certainly helps.

Before I turn in for the night I'll pray and give the situation to God and let Him handle it. He does such a better job than I do .

Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User

Dear scrappinmaniac,

Are you sure you didn't jump over the counter and come close to destroying this guy--in spite of your seriously restricting physical problems?

Seriously...I was not aware that a pharmacist was allowed or granted the kind of authority to make these kinds of decisions. Although I want to make my stupidity and general lack of knowledge clear--it doesn't make sense for a pharmacist to pass this kind of judgment when a doctor writes the Rx. Since there were notes attached to your Rx's concerning the fact that you were not to get them filled until today, doesn't that indicate your physician is well-aware of the timeframe involved with your previous fill-dates?

F U R T H E R M O R E...I am sure many, if not ALL, of us pick up Rx's a day or so early. In fact, I would go out on a limb and suggest that many of us have physicians who give us the very small leeway of using extra medicine--ONLY ON THE MOST LIMITED BASIS.

As you asked, who does this guy think he is? As well, I understand your frustration. What I don't understand is how you've maintained contraint. I applaud you, however, for not losing it! Frankly, I've had to read, read, and re-read your post because I simply don't understand what you've "done" to provoke this pharmacist/pharmacy.

Please keep us informed because we could all be in this situation. We need to know how to effectively handle it! Again, I am at a complete loss concerning your supposed "indiscretion".

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Old 12-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
    BabyOwensMama
    (female)

BabyOwensMama HB User

I second Painaway! Make some noise!! Call your doc's office tomorrow and explain the situation (to the doc him/herself or nurse NOT a receptionist!) ask them to call the pharmacy, I am sure they would like to know that some random pill jockey decided he knew better than your doctor. UNBELIEVEABLE!!! I send my prayers out to you, no one has the right to treat you this way. If that pharmacist wanted to be in charge of your dosage,and fill times he should have been a doctor. I hope this works out for you and I am all for kicking up a fuss and letting it be known that you WILL NOT stand for this. It kills me that some doctors/pharmacists make patients wait until they are out of meds to get refills. HEL-LO! These are STRONG PAIN MEDICATIONS, if we could function without them we wouldn't be on them!!

Old 12-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

I had a negative experience with our regular pharmacy as well. We've been getting our prescriptions filled there for about 10 years, another national chain. Anyway, after my first fusion surgery , I was put on Oxycontin, and got my scripts every 30 days , just like clockwork, dropped them off and got them filled. They hired a new pharmacist ( just got out of school in fact), and despite my being at the same dose, from the same doctor, for over a year at that point, decided that she did not want to fill the script. She called my doctor and told him that it was the extended release formula, therefore she would not fill it because he was dosing me every 8 hours which was the only way it worked decently in managing the constant 7-8 pain levels. Then she questioned the dosage of Lyrica that I was taking which was the maximum daily dose, which also had been prescribed and filled for a year with no problems. Finally my doctor's office called me to find out why the pharmacist was giving him such a hard time. I called the pharmacy, got her on the phone and she denied the whole series of conversations that she had with the doctor's office. Now, why on earth would the doctor lie? Anyway, she ultimately managed each time that I dropped off scripts and she was on duty, they didn't have the Oxycontin, and had to order it.....I found out rather quickly after she pulled that the second time that by waiting until she was off duty, the meds suddenly were there and getting my scripts filled was no problem, whatsoever. I complained to the Head Pharmacist who told me that she could refuse to fill the script if she so chose to. I told him that I could choose to take my business elsewhere and that of my family and every other patient who saw my doctor too. I talked to my doctor and he instructed all of his patients to find another pharmacy. My family's and my prescriptions are now handled by Target pharmacy. And the best part is that the pharmacist there is also a chronic pain patient himself, so he truly understands the roles of narcotics in chronic pain management. He's managed to restore my faith in pharmacists after my experiences with the other national chain....
    Sandi

Old 12-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User

Dear Sandi,

Even though it completely pains me, I guess--reluctantly--I understand that a pharmacist can refuse to fill a prescription. What bothers me the most, however, is the fact that this pharmacist was not truthful. Fine. If the pharmacist doesn't want to fill something, s/he should be upfront and honest to the patient--by telling the real reason. But, stating that the medication is not available and needs to be ordered REALLY IRKS ME since it wasn't the truth in this instance. I wish I was as altruistic as this may seem, but I'm really exhausted with pharmacists and pharmacies from my past.

I am so fortunate that I have had such a willing pharmacy and pharmacist over the last few years (since around 1997)! "Gratitude" doesn't come close to expressing my feelings.

Take care, everyone.
    Jon (Conductor)

Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
    HappyFlower
    (female)

HappyFlower HB User

The sad truth is a phramacist can refuse to fill a script...

However, I think...and you would have to check on this, as I might be wrong...this "rule" is in place for moral reasons (morning after pill) or when a pharmacist really believes somebody is illegally obtaining medications. Which, in your case, since the pharmacist talked to the doctor and no morals are really at stake...neither of those apply. Sounds to me like she was a
    gung-hoo new pharmacist with a power trip. She won't have a job long if she refuses to fill narcotics!! That is for sure...my old pharmacist said at least half of all scripts are for narcotics. She better get used to counting out those pills.

I had my first "kinda bad" pharmacy experience yesterday. My doc wrote my Ultram and Lortab Rx on the same sheet...so I had to turn them in together on Monday. I had just gotten the Ultram filled two weeks earlier, but the Lortab was due. Stupid me, I didn't think it would be a big deal.

WELL...when I went yesterday to pick them up...the cashier/tech looked at me snotty and said my insurance had denied my "narcotic medication"...that it was not due. For a moment, I thought she meant the Lortab, so I was confused and told her it was due. She looked at me and said..."no you can't fill it until the 29th, and Ma'am, you know, they do keep track of this stuff." I just sat there....and finally realized what was going on...she was speaking about the Ultram. So, I explained the situation, about the Rx's being on the same sheet yadda yadda. She just looked at me with this smug look and told me they always use different sheets with narcotics. SO, I then asked the pharmacist to pull up the scan and GLOATED when he produced the white copy with both medications clearly written. I payed, smiled and wished the winch a Merry Christmas.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User

Dear Happy,

I know it's not good to have a 'smug' feeling, but your saga has given me new hope. Maybe I'll change my name to HappyConductor. We'll have to see. OK...I'm glad you posted. Even the first part of your post made you sound like you've been to Law School--where you've learned some skills concerning the art of legal argument! No matter what, your post helped me.

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Old 12-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
    HappyFlower
    (female)

HappyFlower HB User

lol...Happy Conductor...I like it-has a nice ring to it.

No, in this case it was wonderful to see her defeated. Crushed like a little bug...splat!

And, no, I don't have a law degree...just a husband and many children...so I am quite skilled in the art of splitting hairs and asserting my point (and sadly, yes, being defeated in battle by a three year old from time to time....).

Old 12-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
    scrappinmaniac
    (female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by painaway View Post
    OH MY GOODNESS...That makes me SO mad, I could just SPIT (at him, LOL)!!!! Ok, if I were you, I'd talk to the owner (if it's a family-owned pharm), or I'd talk to the manager or district manager (if it's a chain pharm). That is just terrible, and WILL NOT be tolerated!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think he has that kind of power, but maybe I'm wrong. What a loser. He must be feeling pretty insecure today, so he thought he'd bully somebody to make himself feel important!! Ugh, I'm just fuming!!

After I made a stink, I'd probably think about going elsewhere. Pharmacies like that DON'T DESERVE YOUR BUSINESS!

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. He said that because he thought you, the submissive pain patient, would not want to make waves and would just take it quietly! Well, girl, MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!! Make him wish he'd offered to fill it earlier than usual!

Please let us know what you decide to do. Don't let him do this. If you do, he'll do it to the next guy...and the next, and you again one day.
    Hi Painaway. I called the pharmacy today and asked to speak with the head pharmacist and guess what? Yep, Mr. Nice Guy from last night is the head pharmacist...lol. So, I told him I wanted to speak with his boss b/c I didn't appreciate the way he treated me last night when I came in to have my scripts filled. He asked who I was and what happened last night. I refused to rehash the incident with him, telling him since he wasn't concerned last night about upsetting me that I would rather file a complaint with his boss. He gave me the name and phone number of his boss and I'm waiting to hear from him.

I'm not expecting anything to come from this but I do want to file a formal complaint againt this "nice guy". I do intend to change pharmacy's though. At my next PM dr appt I plan to change my pharmacy info on my PM contract.

Gee. I need a vacation from chaos .

Old 12-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

scrappi, Good for you, no they definantly don't deserve your business. I don't get it the people you think would understand the most,doctors, pharmacist, the medical field at times can show the least amount of compassion. I realize they must run into some people who are not on the up & up but that does not give them the right to label everyone. Your right in saying it feels like a constant battle with someone, it makes everything that much tougher. I for one can't wait for the day I can get off these meds, I feel like blurting out to the pharmacist yep I like all the wonderful side effects the stomache aches, moodiness, nausea being tired all the time & so on.... If people don't speak up then changes can't be made, it is darn right hurtful & god knows we all suffer enough. It amazes me the number of stories about pharmacies. Good luck, Sammy

Old 12-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #14
    scrappinmaniac
    (female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Hi Sammy-You're right. The side effects of these meds are terrible. I hate being in pain but I also hate feeling brain dead, being moody, tired, sick to my stomach, constipated...the list is endless.

Oftentimes, these doctors, nurses and pharmacists need to walk a day in our shoes. I think then they would change their tune and show more compassion like all of us pain people need.

I know that I don't have the power to change all pharmacies, but if I can file a complaint when I'm mistreated and that produces positive changes within a pharmacy so the next chronic pain person getting a script filled is treated with respect then it was worth my time and effort and fustration.

Thanks for responding Sammy, I appreciate it.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
    HappyFlower
    (female)

HappyFlower HB User

"Gee, I need a vacation from chaos"

lol...do you mind if I borrow this quote...love it! I SO know how you feel!

After my minor pharmacy episode, I called and asked my NP which pharmacy her other patients had the least complaints with. Right away she told me where to go...and, of course, it was a mom and pop pharmacy. I guess I can just be lazy and like the drive through feature...plus this mom and pop is 20 minutes out of my way. Even so, I decided being treated better than the common dog was worth the 20 minutes and walking inside.

Today I had my son's antibiotic (strep...ugh) filled there. When they called my name, they explained about the medicine, told me to be sure and give him yogurt...just SO nice. Told me to call if I had any issues with side effects, that "after 23 years we have many tricks up our lab coats to help with side effects." AND, even better, they keep ice cream for the little ones with sore throats. She asked my son if his "neck hurt" and he gave her those puppy eyes and said yes. She explained about the ice cream, asked my permission, and gave him a little cup of ice cream. Not much, just a few bites, but my Mommy heart melted! How sweet. Needless to say, he is ready to go back!

They weren't busy at the time, so I explained my situation...that the NP told me to come there...told them what meds I was on and why. It was so refreshing because they were so nice. The lady (I already forgot her name) mentioned that her son in law suffers from CP and that many of their customers are CP patients. The older pharmacist commented on the "big chains" and how they have taken away what a pharmacy is "meant to be"...

So, the entire point of my novella is maybe your Doc can point you in the right direction. Then maybe, you will never have to deal with a pharmacist on a power trip again!

Have a great Christmas...I pray it is pain free...

Closed Thread