It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Medication Vacation/holiday/time Out/??????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
    zach016
    (male)

zach016 HB User
    Medication Vacation/holiday/time Out/??????

Hi everyone,

I've read some threads on medication vacations in various places that viewed them ALL in a negative light.

Among the comments were the terrible time people had during the time that they spent without any meds. but with terrible pain. The fact that generally within 4-8 weeks people seemed to be back to the same dose that they were at prior to going through this seeming hell and all in all, I don't remember reading anything good about them.

What I don't understand then is why Dr.'s (not all, but many) still want their patients to try a medication vacation.

My question then is, is there ANYBODY out there that has had a good experience, or heard of a good experience taking a medication vacation?

Many thanks!!

Zach016

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
    macdog
    (male)

macdog HB User
    Re: Medication Vacation/holiday/time Out/??????

I wouldn't say that doing a vacation is a good experience but it does what it is designed for. I have been a chronic pain patient for almost 5 years due to thoracic/lumbar disk problems. During that time I have had to do two "vacations" and each time I was able to reset my system back to a very low level of narcotics.

It is not fun but if you have reached the max that your doctor feels comfortable prescribing and are still in pain, what else are you going to do. For me, swapping to a different med and back generally hasn't worked so this is my only way of resetting. I feel that it is a small price to pay in order to have good pain control for a couple of years although I wish my body could process the meds differently.

Closed Thread