It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• The Darvocet was crap just like you all said!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
    Luvmypugs
    (female)

Luvmypugs HB User
    The Darvocet was crap just like you all said!

Hi everyone,

Well I tried the Darvocet that the ortho doc gave me and NO it did not work! It probably didn't even work as well as the Ultram (Tramadol). I called today and my ortho doc is on call but he hasn't called me back....I guess my knee pain isn't important enough for him to call me back .

Even taking two 50mg Ultram at the same time doesn't do a whole lot in the pain department. Does anyone have any other suggestions? This is the doctor that prescribed the Esgic Plus (Fiorcet no codeine) for this when the Ultram wasn't doing its job. I had injections in the knee Wednesday but another surgery is inevitable. I do not see any other doctors except for my OBGYN so I have no one else to go to. All over the counter meds are basically useless to me so I guess I'll just sit here with my ice packs and sulk .

Take care all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
    Re: The Darvocet was crap just like you all said!

Hi Lumypugs - This doctor sounds like he is out of touch with what's going on in modern medicine!! Prescribing Fiorecet for knee pain almost sounds like an "off label" use of the drug. I can see having it prescribed for whiplash - neck pain with headache, but knee pain?? As far as the Darvocet goes....I really don't know why they continue to manufacture that drug!! There are so many over the counter medications that give better relief than prescription Darvon or Darvocet. Is your doctor a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon?? If I were in your position I think I'd find myself another doctor first thing Monday morning. His post op care doesn't sound kosher to me. Memere

Old 01-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Im with Kathy on this one, that darvon isnt even a good anti inflammatory, you would have been better off on 800 mg ibuphropins.

For years I was on 400-500 mgs of Ultram (tramadol) WITH 7.5 lortabs 3 times a day, and baclofen and the 800 mg advils as well.

You either need a new doctor or one that will stop wasting your time, imho.

HTH, Fabby

Old 01-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

Your doc sounds like a complete jerk to give you nothing but darvocet for post op pain - Fabby and K'mac seem to know a lot more about what is going on than me but just because he cut on you does not mean he cannot be fired-the best support I have gotten in my life was when I was on this board and using another name and it was not to let these docs push me around and I got that advice from Fabby and K'mac - I am always polite but I do not suffer in silence unnecessarily - I pay big bucks for the help I get from my doctors, so I expect them to take care of me CALL now and get something else so you can sleep tonight Love and Peace Aver

Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User

Let's just face it, you all...Darvocet is the pits.

Also, if there is a thread where both Fabrashamx (Fabby) and Memere (K'Mac) post agreeing ideas--we are doing well!! I've been watching them both over time now, and they both have significant experience to support what they say. Furthermore, they are friendly in their manners, which helps many of us when we're in a serious time of need! Thanks, Fabby and K'Mac (uhh, Memere)! Seriously, we greatly appreciate people like you who are helpful and well-meaning.

Aver00 makes a good point about not suffering in silence unnecessarily--even though you want to be polite. I felt the same way years ago when a doctor told me I was too young to receive opiate treatment for my pain. I did take the politeness part out of the factor--just briefly--and made it clear that if I was old enough to feel the pain and have it diagnosed, I was old enough to utilize standard types of treatment. I walked out of that same physician's office with legitimate pain medicine Rx's that day--with referrals of this course of treatment to my Primary Care Physician and my Internal Medicine Physician.

So, Luvmypugs, you must find another physician if at all possible. Prescribing Esgic Plus for Post-op knee pain makes most of us on this board shake in reaction. Darvocet receives the same. Try to take our support with you and realize that you are worth the entire workload that goes with finding appropriate treatment and--NICELY--claiming it as your own! You deserve appropriate and adequate pain relief, Luvmypugs!

We'll keep checking back to see what you are doing for yourself and how you are doing!

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Old 01-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Thanks so much for the kind words, Jon, I have nothing but the greatest respect for both your opinion and Kathys.

I hate to be cynical, but imho.when a doc has tried you on a few meds. and then wants you to try darvocet. tylenol 3's. or naproxin. its like being on a 3rd date and being told. hey. you remind me of my brother/sister/cousin, deffinatly a 'kiss off' and time to look for someone new.

Thanks again Jon, I always look for your posts, as well as Daves, Kathys, Marcias, peppers. and many others, I coulndnt begin to tell you how many times this board has saved me from doing somthing stupid, haha!

Wishing you all as pain free week as possible, and please let us know how it all works out for you. Pugs!

Hugs, Fabby

Old 01-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #7
    Fibbles
    (male)

Fibbles HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Memere View Post
    Hi Lumypugs - This doctor sounds like he is out of touch with what's going on in modern medicine!! Prescribing Fiorecet for knee pain almost sounds like an "off label" use of the drug. I can see having it prescribed for whiplash - neck pain with headache, but knee pain?? As far as the Darvocet goes....I really don't know why they continue to manufacture that drug!! There are so many over the counter medications that give better relief than prescription Darvon or Darvocet. Is your doctor a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon?? If I were in your position I think I'd find myself another doctor first thing Monday morning. His post op care doesn't sound kosher to me. Memere
    He actually seems pretty close to the Ortho I last saw His big ideas involve lots of unnecessary, and possibly damaging, surgeries with little to no pain control afterward.

My big issue is that my bones aren't shaped right and don't fit together the way they should (for example my shoulders rotate forward, my knees don't straighten all the way and my neck curves the wrong way; I don't think I have a single "normal" shaped or functioning bone). This (board certified) Orthro thinks that the best way to fix my vertical talus issues (on both feet) is to fuse my ankle(s), but placing my feet in a "correct & natural" position will throw the rest of me out of alignment (and he would prefer to operate first and see what happens instead of being overly cautious)!!!! He also thinks the next best thing to do is prescribe Phrenilln (which is the same stuff as Fioricet more or less) and Darvocet for the pain. My PM doctor told me that I need to find someone willing to think outside the box, because some solutions are not one-size-fits-all!

Nice name Pugs! Do you have Pugs (dogs)? I've got one myself (he's a 5 year old Fawn named Boo and unfortunately he's a tad on the chubby side!)

Last edited by Fibbles; 01-06-2008 at 04:01 AM.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
    Luvmypugs
    (female)

Luvmypugs HB User

Hi Fibbles, yes I have 4 pugs, two of which are lying on the couch beside of me snoring if you can imagine . They are the best little dogs if you don't count the hair ha ha.

Back to my knee and the Darvocet. I actually had surgery, will be 2 years in March. I have done everything this ortho doc has asked me to do. He is really a nice man and did take care of me pain wise after the surgery but now seems to be extremely hesitant to give me anything stronger than Ultram, Fiorcet or Darvocet. I am also on Lyrica for nerve pain in the back of that same knee and calf of my leg. This doc has asked me to get another MRI for about 6 months and I was hesitant because my last one cost $600 out of my pocket. Now, it's a new year, new deductibles, you all get it right! I guess I'll go ahead and schedule the MRI.

Needless to say he did not return my phone call yesterday and I'm not calling his service back. I will just wait until tomorrow and call his coordinator who is a sweetheart. Why would an ortho doc who knows how much pain you are in and who told me almost two years ago after surgery that the knee had so much arthritis and inflammation in it that it would have to be totally replaced in 3-5 years not give me something stronger for pain?

I have a child in kindergarten and before all this knee crap, I was so active. I walked 3 miles a day (rain, sleet, snow), road stand up jet skis, played tennis, showed dogs. Now, I don't do any of that and hate it.

Oh well, I've written enough to bore you all . Take care and hope you all have a good day!

Old 01-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

One of the questions that I ask my docs is at what number on the pain scale
    is it acceptable to call the doctor during off hours - most of my docs say that from 6-8 they would not have a problem with - I do feel that not calling you back is unacceptable at any time!!!!! if he feels you abuse this practice he should discuss it with you but to not call a patient back is unacceptable - so when you speak to him I would question him as to why your call was not returned - he is in a service industry and is paid well - I have worked in the medical field for 30 years and I am telling you "it just ain't right" good luck Aver

Old 01-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

You may have cute pugs but I have a yorkie that weight 1lb4oz and a chiahuahua(sp) that weighs 9lbs - the vet says her ideal wt would be around 4lbs - she is a little porker but they are great medicine
    good luck Aver

Old 01-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
    music47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

music47 HB User

Luv
    I'm sorry you are suffering and the doc won't prescribe strong enough meds to help your pain. I take Percocet for my knee pain and it helps. I agree with the others, I would find a new doctor. Take care and my prayers are with you.

Nadine

Old 01-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #12
    jenjen73
    (female)

jenjen73 HB User

Hi pugs... I love my Labs. But I have a question for you. What is this Lyrica that you are talking about for nerve pain in your leg? I have spinal stenosis and 2 herniated discs that injections have not helped at all. Been thru the Ultram + Darvocet, and now am being prescribed the hydrocodone w/ advil. But NOTHING seems to work for the nerve pain. The Docs are saying only surgery will work now but if Lyrica is an option I'd rather try that first. Good luck with your knee, my knees are shot too. I too am an active person who goes crazy when I have to stop for pain.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
    Sandra62
    (female)

Sandra62 HB User

I just had a parathyroid adenoma removed thursday and my surgeon put me on those garbage pills after I told him the oxycodone made me loopy..now Im not loopy but have pain!
    I told his nurse that vicodin worked good for my broken ankle a year ago but that was ignored...so much for compassion!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I just wanted to add that along with most surgeons, Radiologists, Orthos, and Podiatrists have the worse rep for under medicating their patients with pain.

A friend of mine had stage 4 colon cancer, you dont get much more sicker or in pain than that, and for some reason her radiologist was prescribing for her, oxycontins, when she called a month later for a refill, his nurse told her 'Oh thats such a bad drug, you dont want to get started on that' she called me an I blew a fuse. Came straight to the boards, to the cancer boards, and within an hour had the answer I needed and expected,and was sitting with her in her oncologists waiting room. He squeezed her in, she was crying, in pain, and I was LIVID. he asked for that nurses name, and said from now on call him for her scripts, gave her more and stronger than what she asked for along with vistaril (like valuim)

She called me the next day and said she was playing monopoly with her daughter, and wanted me to know, she would have let that woman and the doctor she worked for rob her of that, just gone to bed in a dark room in pain, because she didnt know any better! grrrr. I think that nurse was fired, that or she hid in the bathroom when we came, because I never saw her again, and I wanted to give her a piece of my mind, just as well, I have so little to spare, ha ha ha!

Good luck and hang in there!
    Fabby

Old 01-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #15
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

JenJen, it is true that narcotics do not help with nerve pain. There are nerve medications since as lyrica, topomax (used for migraines and weighloss too), neurotin, cymbalta, elavil, palemor, etc.

I have tried all but topomax and unfortunately have had reactions. Right now I am on cymbalta and am only experiencing joint pain but what a difference I have noticed in my nerve pain. Unbelievable!!

You might want to ask you doctor about them and good luck. Nerve pain is the pits.

Closed Thread