It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Prescriptions from my surgeon and PM doctor?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
    zach88
    (male)

zach88 HB User
    Prescriptions from my surgeon and PM doctor?

Quick question - my surgeon was taking care of all of my medications before I went to see my PM doctor, and he was prescribing me Norco and Soma at the time. When I initially saw my PM doctor, he told me that his practice did not prescribe Soma, just as a general rule. I went off the Soma that I had been on for several months and onto Zanaflex. I found that Soma was the only muscle relaxer, and one of the only medications, that provided me any relief. It enabled me to move around freer and easier without being so tense and anticipating my pain.

Before my next PM appt., I saw my surgeon and asked him about it, and he wrote me a prescription for Soma, that I did not fill until I saw my PM doctor again. I asked him about it, and he told me that the practice simply did not prescribe it because they have found better results with the majority of their patients using other medications. But he gave me his absolute permission to get my Soma prescription filled from my surgeon if it was helping me. He just told me he wouldn't write it.

I've been taking the Soma for three weeks again now, and it is helpful. I did just read on here though that it's NOT a good idea to fill prescriptions from more than one doctor. If I have approval from both doctors, and both of them are privy to the entire situation, is it ok for me to fill all of my prescriptions but one from my PM doctor, and then just the Soma from my surgeon?

Thanks,

Zach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
    badoldback
    (male)

badoldback HB User
    Re: Prescriptions from my surgeon and PM doctor?

Hey zach,
    If your doctor does not object there is no problem.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
    HappyFlower
    (female)

HappyFlower HB User

hey zach!

If your doctor said it was ok, then there won't be a problem.

I find it really strange that your doctors pratice refuses to write Soma. Different medicines work for different people. It is crazy of them to assume Zanaflex or Flexeril will work for everyone. Is that the only reason he gave you? I mean you tried the Zanaflex and it didn't work (I have a Rx for zanaflex...stuff knocks me out....I hate it!!) you would think he would Rx what works...especially if he told you it is OK to get it from another doc?? I am sorry you have to deal with this, it would be nice to just get your scripts from one doctor instead of having to go to two...but I am glad you were able to get relief. Does your PMs practice have any objections to other medicines?

Last edited by HappyFlower; 01-07-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
    zach88
    (male)

zach88 HB User

Thanks guys, I'm a little more at ease now.

My PM doctor and surgeon are both really good at what they do, and they both are so great in treating me with care. My surgeon prescribed me essentially whatever we both decided on before and after my surgery. We would discuss it at lengths. I didn't want so much tylenol in Vicodin, so I suggested Norco and he happily prescribed it. Same thing with Percocet. He's also had no problem writing me Soma prescriptions for the six months I've been seeing him. God knows how many Soma pills I've gone through, but it has given me adequate relief for a muscle relaxer.

Before I was prescribed Soma, I tried Flexeril and Skelaxin. Flexeril knocked me out and Skelaxin did nothing. My doctor at school in LA actually introduced me to Soma, and it's been working well ever since.

The first time I saw my PM doctor in Novemeber, he told me he "didn't like" Soma because it metabolized into Miltown, which he called a "psychadellic." I wasn't too happy about this, but he was really agreeable about everything else, and I was eager to try Zanaflex and Lyrica, two medications I had never tried before.

When the Zanaflex didn't work, I asked my surgeon about my Soma situation, and he had no problem writing me the scripts. I saw my PM doctor a week later, and he had no problem with this either. He completely understood that it worked for me, but he said he just was not allowed to prescribe it. He works out of a big PM group that operated all over Long Island, and I guess they have certain policies about certain medications. Along with Soma, I know they won't prescribe sleeping pills or benzos. I guess it's just their policy.

So, as long as both doctors agree and are in the know, I'll be confident that I'm fine and not going to be pinned for getting medications from two different doctors. Hope I cleared some things up.

Thanks,

Zach

Old 01-10-2008, 05:32 AM   #5
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

Like it was already mentioned,if your PM gave you the ok ,then it should be no problem . There has to be more to the soma thing. Your PM said there office did not prescribe it because they have found better results with the majority of their patients using other medications.When a doctor flat out refuses to write a certain medication,it not because they have found better results with the majority of their patients using other medications.Theres more to it than that.

Closed Thread