It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Need help answering a Oxycodone pill question?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
    whosit
    (male)

whosit HB User
    Need help answering a Oxycodone pill question?

I am on Oxycontin and use percocet 10/325 for BT pain as needed. i have found that the oxcodone alone pills without the tylenol works better for me at the same doses works better for me than the same strength pills with the APAP added to them. My doctor said this was common and that for some ppl the comdo with apap will work better than that of the same amount of mg pill of oxycodone alone for some ppl. I find that the oxycodone alone works better for me and That 10mg is about right for a BT dose I suppose because the 10mg percocet pills do not work very well for me even when i take take one and a half for BT pain wich is what is released from the 10mg and 20mg Oxycontin pills I take for long acting pain. When the first 15mg's of Oxycontin releases I feel adaquate pain relief but when I take 15mg of percocet( one and a half pills) for a rescue dose it does not provide the same relief. This does suggest that a 15mg Roxicodone pill would be right for a BT pain med but my doc said that 10mg was about what he was willing to prescribe for BT pain and not more. He mentioned we could go to Oxy alone for BT but i am having trouble finding a 10mg dose of instant release oxycodone ALONE with no APAP or anything else in it. Is there anything out there that you guys know of that is avail? Or would I have to get a RX for Oxy IR 5mg tablets and double up on them to equal 10mg? Or should I just talk to him and try to get the Roxicodone 15mg tablet. I have also requested that he raise the Oxycontin dose from 30mg BID(1 10mg tab and 1 20mg tab BID) to a single 40mg tablet to reduce the amount of BT meds taken and to eliminate having to pay 2 co-pays for two RX's of brand name Oxycontin which will save money.

What do you guys think about all this and what should I do? some of you know my history and some dont. If you need my history then look through my past posts to find it. someone please tell me there is a 10mg tablet of just oxycodone alone out there as well?

thanks alot guys!

Whosit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User
    Re: Need help answering a Oxycodone pill question?

I don't know about 10mg tabs, but I do know about OxyDose, which is an oral liquid solution of oxycodone with nothing else in it.

I use the OxyDose 20mg/ml concentrated solution which comes with a dropper, and the doc allows me to take either one or two droppers (20mg or 40mg) every 6 hours for BT pain. The dropper comes with 5mg increments and one dropper full is equal to 20mg (1ml). So with this you could easily take any dose prescribed.

As for your suggested OxyContin dose, it sounds reasonable, but only you know how your doc may react to the request. My doc is usually open to these kind of requests if I can demonstrate how it will increase functionality or level of activity (quality of life stuff).

Best of Luck!

steve

Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
    icehouse3z
    Veteran
    (male)

icehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB User
    Re: Need help answering a Oxycodone pill question?

hey i was in the same boat, i was on 30mg of oxycontin BID, also having to pay 2 copays, i explained that to my doc and he agreed to bump me up to the single 40 mg tab which is perfect, im also on 10mg percocet for breakthrough but thinking of asking to get switched to the 15mg roxicodone, i would for sure mention the copay , tell him your struggling financially and any reduction in co pay cost would help, keep us posted!

Closed Thread