It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• is generic Oxycontin still available, which generic works the best.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
    jayboy
    (male)

jayboy HB User
    is generic Oxycontin still available, which generic works the best.

I heard they might take it off the market. It could have been a rumor but i wanted to make sure.

I am switching from morphine to oxy but wanted to make sure generic was available still since my new job will force me to go a few months without insurance.

also, i heard generic oxycontin does not work as well. Is there a certain company whose product seems to work better. I have heard the generic brand off oxy can be questionable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User
    Re: is generic Oxycontin still available, which generic works the best.

Here are is my personal opinion on generic oxycontin
    Watson - best generic and works almost as well as brand name for me
    Mallinkroft(sp?) - okay but can notice it does not work quite as well for me
    Teva - notice a big difference in pain control and length of time medicine
    works for me - inferior product that I do not use

of course, everything works differently with everyone sooo good luck Aver

Old 01-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
    jayboy
    (male)

jayboy HB User

Do certain pharmacies or drug stores carry Watson Generic exclusively. Walgreens which I usually use has TEVA which I have alos heard does not work as well.

Any suggestions on which major pharmacies to use. Im in Houston but maybe certain pharmacies carry the same generic all of the time. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by M08; 01-21-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Changed text to lower case - Upper case difficult to read.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
    Chris333
    (male)

Chris333 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayboy View Post
    Do certain pharmacies or drug stores carry Watson Generic exclusively. Walgreens which I usually use has TEVA which I have alos heard does not work as well.

Any suggestions on which major pharmacies to use. Im in Houston but maybe certain pharmacies carry the same generic all of the time. Any suggestions. Thanks.
    I am taking Teva they tell me but it says Tevau on bottle. They are 80 mg. They don't work that well at all compared to Brand. They are supposed to last 12 hr. but last between 5 1/2 and 6 hours. And it takes about 3 hours to feel any slight relief. The other choice where I go (Sav-On) is a generic named 'Dava' which I never heard of and have a hard time finding anything about it on the Web. The Dava brand is even worse.
    Through personal experience and comments on the Internet my conclusion is this: In my opinion NONE of the Oxycontin generics work anywhere near as well as the Brand name, with the exception of the ones made by Watson. But in my area no one carries Watson.

I don't know how the FDA lets these companies make generics which last half the time they are supposed to and are only about 65% as effective as Brand (Purdue). Though my experience could be somewhat subjective; there are literally several hundreds of complaints on the net corroborating what I am saying. If I had the money I'd have a lab check to see how much of the active ingredient is actually in my Teva pills. OH, and I have heard that the FDA allows these drug companies 20% leeway with regard to active ingredient content. Logic dictates that these profit hungry companies making generics would automatically only use 80% of the active ingredient as a matter of standard procedure, when they can do so legally. And they may not stop there.

Last edited by Chris333; 02-08-2008 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Lost reply because I was not logged in. When I went to look at it before submitting I lost everything

Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Jayboy Each pharmacy is different in what brands they carry. we can't tell you that a specific pharmacy will have watson or teva. you have to make the calls and find out on your own.

I use Teva and have not had any problems with it. I also use the name brand product and it also works well. I thought you were going to start taking methadone? what happened to that? I know you were also taking Subutex, at one point and than you were off all pain meds......are you off morphine now? I thought for sure you were trying methadone as you asked everyone about it? did it not work for you?

SS

Old 02-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
    JoJo921
    (male)

JoJo921 HB User

As of July this year generic oxycontin will be coming off the market and they are adding 3 new strengths as well. They are adding 30, 60 and 90 mg pills. Good News for all of us!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
    Chris333
    (male)

Chris333 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris333 View Post
    I am taking Teva they tell me but it says Tevau on bottle. They are 80 mg. They don't work that well at all compared to Brand. They are supposed to last 12 hr. but last between 5 1/2 and 6 hours. And it takes about 3 hours to feel any slight relief. The other choice where I go (Sav-On) is a generic named 'Dava' which I never heard of and have a hard time finding anything about it on the Web. The Dava brand is even worse.
    Through personal experience and comments on the Internet my conclusion is this: In my opinion NONE of the Oxycontin generics work anywhere near as well as the Brand name, with the exception of the ones made by Watson. But in my area no one carries Watson.

I don't know how the FDA lets these companies make generics which last half the time they are supposed to and are only about 65% as effective as Brand (Purdue). Though my experience could be somewhat subjective; there are literally several hundreds of complaints on the net corroborating what I am saying. If I had the money I'd have a lab check to see how much of the active ingredient is actually in my Teva pills. OH, and I have heard that the FDA allows these drug companies 20% leeway with regard to active ingredient content. Logic dictates that these profit hungry companies making generics would automatically only use 80% of the active ingredient as a matter of standard procedure, when they can do so legally. And they may not stop there.
    ===================
    WHEN I READ THIS POST I HAD TO CHECK TO SEE IF I HAD WRITTEN IT AND FORGOTTEN. WHAT YOU SAY HERE IS NEARLY WORD FOR WORD WHAT I WAS TELLING SOMEONE YESTERDAY.

Last edited by Chris333; 05-28-2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: IT SAYS I WROTE ORIGINAL POST I DID NOT

Old 05-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Since Purdue won their lawsuit, there are no longer any generics being made. The DEA has allowed all pharmacies to dispense their remaining supplies of generics, but after they are gone, only brand will be available.

Hope this helps. CMP

Old 05-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I have recently had to pay for brand name when local pharmacies did not have the generic. This was for 10mg oxy. Now I am on the 40mg, and have had no problems finding generic. I am happy there are going to be new strengths, but the cost of brand is too high for me. I have tried many generics and find that they work as well as the brand name for me. It certainly isn't enough of a difference to pay the price difference in my opinion.

I have never taken the oxycontin generic made by Watson. I certainly would if I could find it, as I will only use the Watson brand for my percocet. The differnce in percocet generics is huge to me.

I think when oxy goes brand only, there are going to be many of us that cannot afford it, myself included. My co-pay will go from $10.00 to $50.00 and that is with insurance. I can't imagine someone without insurance eating this cost! Just my 2 cents!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 05-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
    FLGIRLINPAIN
    (female)

FLGIRLINPAIN HB User
    Smile Re: is generic Oxycontin still available, which generic works the best.

Hello Fellow CP's!!

Regarding the new dosages for Oxycontin, they were made available on 1/29/08. The dosages are 15mg, 30mg and 60mgs.

I am on 60mgs x 3 per day with Roxicodone 30mgs for breakthrough pain. However, until the end of the year I am pre-approved with my insurance company to continue receiving 40mgs and 20mgs to equal 60mgs per day (one co-pay) and I like it this way. I haven't had a chance to try the 60mgs Oxycontin, if anyone out there has tried the 60mg pills, how are they?

Wishing Everyone a LOW pain day!
    FLGIRL

Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
    trowftd3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

trowftd3 HB User

You're lucky. I take the 20's and 40's and pay two co pays. I hope we have access to the 60's soon.~Mush

Old 05-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #12
    FLGIRLINPAIN
    (female)

FLGIRLINPAIN HB User

Hi Mush!

The new dosages have been available since 1/29/08. I called the manufacturer of Oxycontin (Purdue) and was told that the pharmacy may have to special order the new dosage because a lot of pharmacist don't even know that is available.

Most stores here (FL) have had this on stock for several months now. Have you asked your pharmacist about this?

Purdue also informed me there was a special coupon you can print from their website, I think it was for like $50.00 or something. Check it out!

Take care

Old 05-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
    trowftd3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

trowftd3 HB User

Thanks for the info!

Closed Thread