It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Very rough mornings...Anyone else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
    sharonn
    (female)

sharonn HB User
    Very rough mornings...Anyone else?

Since I have been on opiates I feel SO bad in the morning. I take oxycodone.elavil at bedtime and xanax. Besides the drugged feeling until my coffee..I just dread morning. I hurt all over and have this weird feeling of doom. An hour later after meds and coffee I am fine. Just wondering if anyone else has changed in this way. BTW...I was never a "morning" person but now I wake up feeling like hell. Thanks everone...Sharonn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User
    Re: Very rough mornings...Anyone else?

Hi Sharon,

I always hated mornings, Most days I would have to reach for my meds and then lay huddled under the blankets until I could move enough to get up.

I recently started on a long acting med for the first time (Methadone) and for me the biggest improvement by far is waking up in the morning not in pain, with my meds still working, It seems so weird to me to wake up and get right out of bed and not be in agony.

Although I am not a morning person either, lol and I may still growl at anyone trying to talk to me before I have my coffee.

Have you thought about trying a long acting med? I dont know if your situation is that you will probably be needing the meds in some form for the rest of your life, which is where I am at, but if so, I highly recommend them.

HTH, and I am sure others will be along with more advice for you soon.

~Fabby

Old 02-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
    lizzybrog80
    (female)

lizzybrog80 HB User

Hey Sharonn,

I'm lucky to not be able to relate to you. My mornings have always been OK. It's about the middle of the morning when my pain starts coming on hard. But, the first reply is right - long acting meds are the way to go if you are going to need them for a while. But the best way to probably have a chance to get them is to see a pain mgt doc. I was under the care of my orthopedist for 2.5 years and all I got from him during that time was vicodin & percocet. Toward the end, they started not working. When I told him this, he said, "Well, there's not anything else we can do." Then he referred me to a pain mgt doc, and the first thing he said was "we need to get you on a long-acting pain medicine." So, if you've been taking short-acting for some time, you may want to see a pain mgt doc & see about getting on long-acting. It would definitely help your mornings

-Beth
    End. Discectomy - July 2007 (L4/5)
    3-level Foraminal Inj. - Jan. 2008 (L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1)
    IDET - 1/25/08 (L3/4)

Old 02-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
    gorgee
    Inactive
    (female)

gorgee HB User

HI all, I have rough mornings. Sometimes at 4 am, I would wake up in agony, because of mouth pain/jaw pain, and then from body/joint pain and moving, like down stairs. It takes me about an hour to get moving. I was taking vicoprofen but it was not enough, and I was taking too much ibuprofen. My doctor just moved me to oxycontin, and I take it at 7 am and 7 pm. I am still in pain in the morning, but once I take the o.c. the pain gets better and I can get going. I also take the vicoprofen for breakthrough pain as needed. Today, I have had a painful day. It could be because of weather or stress. I have had 3 doses, today, every 4-6 hours of vicoprofen. But the others days, I have only had to take 1 dose of vicoprofen. If feels good not to be tied down to taking pills all day, and the long dose of medicine. Good luck. Thats what works for me right now.

Last edited by gorgee; 02-09-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling, and adding more

Old 02-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
    JoJo921
    (male)

JoJo921 HB User

I feel ya!! Sometimes I hurt so bad in the mornings I actually have tears in my eyes as Im coming down the steps. I used to be able to jump out of bed, into the shower and off to work. Not anymore it takes me at least an hour to an hour and a half to get to the point where I can start getting ready. I take oxycontin and roxicodone and until i get a full dose in me I am worth nothing.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
    babyboomer6
    (female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User

What are you being treated for? This may have something to do with that. (The syndrome or disease rather than the drugs.) I have fibromyalgia plus degenerative disc disease and I take a crap load of pain meds plus other things.(methadone, oxycontin,oxycodone,flexeral,neurontin,l orazapam,prozac,) and I am on high blood pressure meds. You wouldn't think I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY BLOOD-PRESSURE! I have TERRIBLE mornings too. But I think that is part of fibro. Although you'd think with the long acting drugs that I take would carry over to the morning, wouldn't you? Also I used to take Elivil, and it seemed to help me with morning pain. But that was a long time ago. I gained a lot of weight on it, so I stopped taking it. I KNOW THAT IT COULD BE WE ARE HAVING A DRUG HANGOVER. BUT I DON'T KNOW WHY I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH DRUGS IN ME TO COUNTERACT THAT. I ALSO HATE THE THOUGHT OF MORNINGS. I am supoose to take two long acting oxicontins before bedtime to help my mornings. So far it isn't helping. I'm not much help. But I feel for you!! boomer

Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

I dislike mornings too, but it's because of the pain, not the meds. I take my first dose of meds upon rising and then wait for the meds to work.

Getting up for the first time each day is so painful. I limp and moan ad nauseum. But I try to keep it to myself as no one else wants to hear me do that.

steve

Old 02-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I am not good with morning either. I think it mainly has to do with my sleep meds. I take melatonin and benadryl and Trileptal at night as well. I wake up feeling with a little bit of drug "hangover". Somtimes I take my Lyrica and either Lortab or Ultram and doze back off for an hour or two. Then I will get up and start making the coffee. No one wants to bother me until I get some coffee in me. I use coffee to counteract the drowsyness, somnolence, tiredness of the meds.

Brian

Old 02-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Fab has hit the nail on the head. Most of us who have really bad mornings is the result of your plasma blood levels dropping overnight while you sleep and not taking your narcotics (i.e withdrawal). It's very typical for PM patients to eventually go on some long acting "base" med such as Methodone, Oxycontin, or the Duragesic patch. These long acting meds deliver meds into your system 24/7 and thus, stabilize you. Then, you can taking something else for breakthrough pain or flare ups as I call it. The long acting meds also help avoid the "ups and downs" of narcotics.

The VERY unfortunate think for PM patients is that not only do they have to fight the daily constant pain in their lives, but also the side effects and the physical dependance of the meds.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
    whitfield
    (male)

whitfield HB User

I had always been a "morning person"--loved getting up and ready to go--the kind of person many others find irritating in the morning. However. for the last several years, I have hated getting up--not sure what it is--I am on a long acting pain med (fentanyl patch)--I do take a .5mg Xanax at bedtime, so that may have something to do with it, not sure--probably, like the other poster wrote, it has something to do with your actual medical problem--just my 2 cents--whit

Old 02-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Hi Whitfield....Yes, these meds have all sorts of effects on people....Especially hangovers & etc. Even though you're on a long acting med, you probably have less in you at night because you go 8-10 hrs without any break through meds, so your plasma levels drop. Also, I'll bet the cocktail effect of the patch and Xanax produces your not so desired results. It's tough, I know first hand. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #12
    jayne53
    (female)

jayne53 HB User

i have so much to do in the mornings, like alot of people i'm sure. it is the only time i can get things done. by the afternoon the pain is too intense.i am changing meds through the idaho pain center, going from methadone to the fentanyl patch and i hope it helps in the mornings. has anyone done that med. change. i am really scared that the real intense pain will return.

Last edited by jayne53; 02-13-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Jayne:
    I know other people on the board have switched from Methadone to the patch but I would suggest starting a new post to ask this.

Brian

Old 02-14-2008, 06:22 AM   #14
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Mornings are killing me! Here in the Deep South, where we really don't experience Winter, the weather has been is the 30's. Now while some of you think this would be a heat wave right now, for us down here, it's downright cold. Since having the fusion with the rods, I can't bear anything under 40, as the "cold" goes right through to my rods. I guess it's all relative, right?? Bring on the SPRING!!!

It doesn't help any that I was rear-ended on my home from work on Tues afternoon as one of these "cold-fronts" came roaring through with 70mph winds, tornadoes, hail, and overall just NASTY weather! I had just gotten the issues of the switch from fentynal patch/Percoct for BT over to Avenza under control when out of the blue, this lady just didn't stop at a red light!!! Hopefully, we only have about a month more of the "cold" weather, and from there it's mostly uphill! I say bring it on!!

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Sharon:

I'm brand new to these boards, but an old-timer in terms of chronic pain. My experience, through friends, family members and pain management groups is that for almost all sufferers of chronic pain, with just about any dx, morning is usually the worst time of day for everyone. The previous posts are all right to a certain extent. I believe it is a combination of many factors. All the posters who advised long acting or time released meds were right on the mark. If you have a pain management doc who you are happy with and who you feel listens to you, you should absolutely request oxycontin or something like it. There is always "breakthrough pain" with these types of meds, so a moderately dosed instant released opiate is generally prescribed as well. I can definitely say that oxy-c has made a huge difference in my life. My mornings are still difficult sometimes, but not remotely as bad as before. Just remember...some docs and some states have harsher restrictions on meds like oxy-c. (thank you Rush Limbaugh!!!) but if you don't have a doc who is willing to listen to you and who understands the benefits of narcotic pain meds, ask around the medical community and or check with local pain management groups if available. Hope I was helpful!

Closed Thread