It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Anyone with Chronic Myofascial Pain???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User
    Anyone with Chronic Myofascial Pain???

Hi everyone... I'm new to this message board but from what I've read so far, I think this is going to be a great resource. I have suffered from CMP for eight years now and have a fantastic Doc, who has changed my life. I'm sure if there are any others like me out there, you probably went through the same nightmare of trying to find out what was wrong as I did. It's a really horrible thing that so few physicians out there understand things like CMP, RA, Fibromyalgia, Lupus, etc. I was mis-diagnosed so many times and treated like everything from a "head-case" to a drug seeker. When I found my current Doc, through the reccommendation of a friend, I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders. Just a little background on me: I am an advocate of multiple pain management methods, including Phys. Therapy, Self-Meditation/Hypnosis, Reiki and Physician managed narcotic and analgesic treatment. I experienced a physical trauma eight years ago that started my path of CMP. I am a 46 year old wife and moter of a 23 year old daughter. Most importantly, I try to live by the premise that I can live my life, to the best of my abilities, with love, the support of family and friends and a fantastic physician to help me achieve that. I would love to communicate with other CMP patients and/or chronic pain patients in general.
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User
    Re: Anyone with Chronic Myofascial Pain???

Hi, I am new to this also.
    I was diagnosed with myofascial pain last year after many years of wondering what was happening to me. I am 31 now, but when I was 5, I was in a bike accident and life slowly went down hill from there.. started with esphogial spasms, diaphram spasms, juvenile arthritis and the list goes on. I have always been in pain since then and really just learned to live with it, because it seemed when I went to the doctor, they felt that I was making it up or exagerating it. But in Feb 2007, one night my heart began to beat like crazy and it has not really stopped since. I have had a holter monitor, echocardiogram stress test, several chest x-rays among other tests. They say all is fine. In fact, I am going back again next week for another holter monitor. I have been through so many tests, MRI's, Catscan's, ect. I was found to have an elevated ANA level 1:640, but no other side of rhemo disease except that I do have Raynaud's. I was wondering what are all your current and past symptoms and what other things have you been diagnosed with?
    I read on sovern.net that tachycardia can be part of myofascial pain, but it is still very scary, just wondering what your symptoms are?
    Thanks.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
    morgyporgy
    (female)

morgyporgy HB User

I was diagnosed with CMP, Fibro, and Arthritis about 2 yrs. ago. I have found that the weird thing is...All 3 of these need to be treated differently. For example my CMP responds more to heat, the arthritis responds to cold, and stretching works for the Fibro. They all respond well to analgesic/narcotic meds but sometimes on those really bad days you just need other things and these are the things out of my bag of tricks (LOL) that help me.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

How did you get diagnosed with CMP? I was diagnosed with Chronic Pain Syndrome and Fibromyalgai. I do not believe I have FMS really as I have a reason and most of my pain is associated with those areas. I had spinal cord compression C4/5. I have had acdc C4/5 and decom C6/7 and next month with have acdc lf C6/7. In the book I am reading and looking at the trigger points I have them all. Especially th eones in the face and neck area. I have pain in both arms, hands, fingers, neck and shoulders. And often middle back. I have shooting, stabbing, burning, aching and electric shocks. My fingers will bounce when I am in a bad place. My memory is awful and I contribute that to higher doses of Lyrica. And my arms tire like crazy. I have to rest them on the table when I type. I had a pm until WC fired them for me and now we are battling legally. I would love to know what one can do with myofascial pain???? All I have been offered is drugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Backinthesaddle For This Useful Post:
    rayefaye (12-10-2010)
    Old 03-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
    gorgee
    Inactive
    (female)

gorgee HB User

cmpgirl, I would love your help. Here is my background, I was born 2 months premature (I am not sure if this has something to do with it but maybe) and from that I was not formed correctly. My left side of my face and upper body are predominately the stong side. My face is tilted and slides to the left. My nose is crooked and veers to the right also. As the years went on, in childhood when you look at the pictures it was more and more noticeable. In high school I was teased terribly. When I was probaly 7 I started having migraines and I am suffering from chronic migraines about 3-4 a week. I have tmj for 7 years after my mom died tragically and I also got married within the same month. I then suffered major depression and from that grinded my teeth and suffered terrible tmj. I had flare ups throughout the years, and managed them with heat and ibuprofen. They usually last about a week or 2.

In September, my tmj flared up and I still have it. At the same time, I was in so much pain, my marriage started to suffer and stress and extreme anxiety added to it all. My body started in and I was in constant pain throughout my body and face. My hands and fingers are sore and sometimes swollen, my neck and shoulders were in extreme pain and I could not move my neck without shooting pain. Did I mention, I am a stay at home mom to 2 boys, 2 and 4, and I have no help. If I needed help, I was told to hire a babysitter. I saw a surgeon towards the end of October and he suggested arthroscopic surgery for my tmj, is has been called pretty extreme. I have battled my insurance company and it was completely denied last week. I went to another surgeon and he also suggested surgery, and also noticed a growth on the condyle that could be causing the extreme jaw/teeth/facial pain. That was denied as well. I saw another surgeon in my town, who diagnosed me with myofasical pain syndrome, he told me to rest, use heat, and try to get time to myself. By the way, that is very hard to do, almost impossible.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a full blood workup especially to test for rheumatoid arthritis and thyroid, they came back fine. The blood test showed I was anemic. My doctor told my that fibromyalgia is hard to treat, but I have 12 of the trigger points. So here I am now, treating the pain, trying to rest as best I can and do my job of taking care of the kids and the house. Also, a huge factor in my feeling better and stress and anxiety is my husband. He does not believe the pain medications are helping me, yes they help my pain and make a huge difference in what I am able to do, but he believes the are making my pain worse, and my doctor is overprescribing me. It is a daily battle, and I am made worse by this, and my pain goes through the roof when I cry and I am upset.

I love my husband, he lets me stay at home, and financially supports us, but disagrees with my treatment by my pcp. Not to mention some of things I do (days I cannot keep up with the house, or not putting him first) is disrespectful to him and all that he does for me. It is hard. I am hoping you can offer me some advice, and tell me what works for you. Also, should I listen to my husband, and go off medications? I currently am taking 40 mg oxycontin 2xdaily, flexerill and valium for muscle relaxants, and lexapro for anxiety ( I have taken this for 2 years), and I also can take vicoprofen for breakthrough pain. I have taken the o.c. for 1 1/2 months and contemplating stopping cold turkey and trying to manage it with vicoprofen. All this said, with the o.c. I was feeling better and doing more but, it is not worth it. My husband feels I am dependant ( which I am, I have been taking pain medications since September for pain) and he has called me an addict many times (it broke my heart), for I am not. I am extremely responsible and take the medication correctly and for the right reasons. I have a good relationship with my pcp who is my prescibing dr., and he knows the battle I have with my husband and my health.

I know I have written a lengthy post, but I have wanted to write you for awhile. I appreciate any information you can give me. Also, is myofascial pain going to be an issue for me for the rest of my life?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by gorgee; 03-05-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: need to add 1 more thing

Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi mmee and morgyporgy: Well, where do I begin.....First I guess I can address the whole "multiple diagnoses" thing. I have a myriad of things over the years that one doc or the other has diagnosed me with. The first chronic Dx was for PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) If you're not familiar with it, the symptoms include; amennoreah (no periods), anovulation (not ovulating), higher than normal testosterone levels (yes, we do have some testosterone), low levels of estrogen and insulin resistance. There are more, but these are the primary ones. Most women who are Dx'd w/this are going for infertility.

Second, I really did a number on my back in my mid thirties, which resulted in several minor to moderate disc herniations (9, at last MRI) No ruptures, thank God! (I am knocking on every piece of wood I can reach right now...LOL)

About 8 years ago, as I said in my previous post, I had a lower back injury, which went untreated, and this in turn started my journey with CMP.

I haven't had any of the cardio, that can sometimes be associated with CMP, but have experienced pretty much every other symptom there is. As I'm sure you've read or heard, CMP can be confused w/Fibro and some people actually have both. They share many of the same symptoms, but not others. CMP is what is called "referred" pain. This is pain that is triggered in one area of the body, but felt in other areas. Weird, huh? And Fibro is "localized". Both can cause pain from head to toe and everywhere in between.

There is still so little known, that many docs don't have any idea what it is or how to deal with it. Like Fibro, it has been thought of by many docs, as what they call in the medical field "a wastebasket diagnosis". Something to call a patient's symptoms that they can find no logical explaination for. (And with some docs, don't want to know or acknowledge)

The fascia is this web-like structure that covers everyone's entire body. It's the part of our bodies that holds all of our muscles and bones and tissue together. Without the fascia, we would all be kind of like (these are my doc's words) a bag of bones, muscle and tissue, just flopping around.

When a person experiences CMP, the fascia stiffens and/or hardens, which causes compression on all these body parts, causing joints to swell and calcify, muscles to harden and lose their elasticity and tissue/organs to atrophy. Thats why so many of our symptoms mimic other diseases, and many of us are given multiple diagnoses. I learned, recently, that CMP has been upgraded from a syndrome to a disease. This is a good thing, because most conditions that are catagorized as a syndrome are not taken seriously by a large part of the medical community.

I use several modalities to deal with my CMP, as I mentioned in my origional post, and they all have some benefit. Some opinions in the med world see CMP as not degenerative or progressive. My doc and some others do. I am inclined to agree, as in the last 8 years, mine has progressed/worsened.

I know this was darn near a thesis, but wanted to share as much info as I had. And believe me, I'm still learning every day. I hope it was helpful, and I probably left some things out. (I'm menopausal now too!! YIPPEE) If there are any other questions or some of your experiences you'd like to share, please do. I consider this a learning process, every day. God Bless and keep posting, cmpgirl

Old 03-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sorry Kass and Backinthesaddle: Sorry I didn't see your posts, till after I had answered mmee and morgyporgy. If you can give me a few minutes to take care of something, I will come back in about 30 min to answer yours. I promise i will address any of the questions you have as best I can. Be back shortly, cmpgirl

Old 03-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi All:

Backinthesaddle: I was finally diagnosed by my current PM doc. He is a physiatrist (fizzy-at-trist), which is an MD who specializes in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM &R). I was really lucky to find him, because he works out of a well-known teaching hospital in my area, and because he teaches as well as treats patients in his practice, he is always really up-to-date with current medical issues etc.

As I stated in prev posts, I went to so many docs before I found him... Primary, Neurologist, Orthopedic, Endocrineolgist and another Physiatrist in my hometown who was a horrible, mean, bitter man who had no business dealing with other human beings. (does that sound a little bitter? lol) He was the worst. He was the one who really treated me like I was either a hypochondriac or just some bored housewife seeking attention or something. When I found out about my current doc, I had reservations, especially since he is an hour away, but this man changed my life.

It is a very hard thing to diagnose, but after he explained it to me, I knew he was right. Everything "just fit".

As far as the meds go, there is deffinitely more to it than that. Standard methods of Phys. Therapy are not always good, because they tend to aggrivate CMP more than they help, but there are a couple that are really good. 1st is Myofascial Release (kind of like light massage) and another that I love is aqua-therapy (the pool). Heat treatment with ultrasound or electrostimulation can be beneficial too. The meds are, to me, the most important, in that even though they do not take away all pain, they allow me to live at a level (5-7) on the pain scale, that lets me do the things that are important to me, like giving the best care and attention to my home and family that I can. I think any good PM will tell his patients that they have to have a reasonable expectation in terms of pain management. With chronic pain, we all need to come to terms with the fact we will always have it.

Also, as I said in my previous post, CMP and Fibro can sometimes be both present in some patients. I personally have never had the burning type of pain commonly experienced in Fibro. I do have neuropathy, which causes some numbness and pin prickling in my feet/hands. That could also be from my disc problems. I always ahve a lot of joint pain, mostly shoulders/neck, wrists/fingers, hips, knees and feet. (I guess that's pretty much everywhere)

I hope this answers some of your questions....please ask anytime and I will do my best to answer. (shorter, I promise) cmpgirl

Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Kass: I'll try not to go too much into detail with this one as I think the previous posts explain a lot..... but some things I have to add, specific to you would be, I think your battle with TMJ is what initially started your CMP and/or Fibro and I know that once you are on that path, emotional stress and anxiety can add significantly to both of these diagnoses'. Also, repetitive motion, like lifting, vaccuuming (big one) laundry and especially chasing little ones around.

I'm sorry about your lack of support at home as I know this can cause any of us emotional pain and stress. As far as the meds go, if you've seen some of the recent threads here, I think you will see there really is a difference between PM/dependancy and addiction. I believe the meds are a significant part of the treatment. I would not be able to do most of the other modalities without the relief the meds give me.

I hope I've helped explain CMP better for you all and I know I certainly don't have all the answers, but I'll try to help in any way I can. God Bless you all and please know that everyone here on the boards is always in my thoughts and prayers. cmpgirl

Old 03-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
    chrisandylino
    (female)

chrisandylino HB User

Oh my gosh! This is exactly what I have! If you look at my previous posts from the alert at the pharmacy, you will see how I've been treated! I have TMJ and it has now turned into Chronic Myofascial Pain. I have seen dentists, oral surgeons, and doctors. I cant eat food unless it is soft. I wear a guard at night but I grind right thru it. It has gotten so worse this year where I am in pain constantly. Because of this forum, I have now turned to a pain management doc. I see him this Sat. Up till now, I have been passed around from doc to doc, clinic to clinic, and am spending alot of money. I have no insurance and this is a costly problem to have. Well anything chronic is costly. So, I know exactly how you feel. I take Prozac to deal with the depression in dealing with this issue for so long. Im a mom of 5 kids and I finally had to spend the money on me to take care of myself. I just couldnt take it anymore. Pain meds and muscle relaxers seem to be my only relief. Its nice to know Im not alone...chris

Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisandylino View Post
    I take Prozac to deal with the depression in dealing with this issue for so long.
    I don't want to "freak you out" but I was taking Effexor and read something about certain antidepressants can cause something called "bruxism" which means grinding of the teeth. I was floored when i learned this so you might want to do a search on "antidepressant & bruxism" to see what comes up. I do know that they specifically mentioned Effexor as one of the worst. I am now off for 9 days from Effexor not specifically for that reason but it was one of the reasons.

Brian

Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #12
    chrisandylino
    (female)

chrisandylino HB User

You are just a wealth of knowledge arent you! You also told me about the Ambien which I dont take anymore thanx to your information. Thank you so much! That Ambien really messed me up as I was "coming down" from the Lortab! So now I take the doc has me on a true muscle relaxer. That seems to help. I see my first PM doc tomorrow. I hope it goes well. I hope he's a good one. It'll cost me $150 dollars. So, I hope he listens and is compassionate. I need my meds so I hope he gives me something and doesnt just blow me off. But I guess he's a pain doc...so hopefully he will be different from the regular docs. Have you found that to be true? And what should I expect on the first visit?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #13
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

Is there a certain kind of specialist that is best for myofascial pain?

And does anyone know of a good doctor in the state of PA for myofascial pain? Or even in Maryland?

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if you go to the thread that brian started about massage for pain,i mentioned some things in there about the wonders of myofascial realease and also craniosacral therepy(this works on your central nervous system).these two therepies are done at the same time on me by my therepist.the best dang therepies i have ever tried to date,and believe me,there HAVE been many.just look for a therepist who does myofascial release and if you really want to do something even better,find one who actually does both the crano and the myo.these two types of therepies together really work well for muscle pain or myofascial type pain.this therepy just 'releases" the bad areas of the fascia that is a covering in our bodies kind of like a big huge spiderweb thing that litterally runs from the brain down to the toes(it actually covers every single muscle and body organ in one long interconnected sheet).one bad area can affect the entire fascia to some degree.this just gets it all more 'evened out' in a way?i would very highly recommend this type of therepy.Marcia

Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #15
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

mmee:

Feelbad was correct. There is great benefit to myo release. Just be very specific when you check out different providers. In my experience, at least around my area, the liscensed massage therapists, as opposed to the registered physical therapists, know a lot more about it. I'm not saying that PT's don't know what it is, but the MT's are better trained in this modality.

I had one instance with a PT who darn near sent me off the table! She was very heavy handed and that's never good for someone with trigger points! True myo release is very light and gentle. It's really rather relaxing. And since your pain can be in so many different places on your body, they should ask you very specific questions, before they start working on you.

I don't know of any docs in your area, but for CMP, your best bet is to find a physiatrist, like I described in my previous posts. They are specially trained in musculoskeletal conditions and have a much better understanding of the disease. They may be listed as "Physiatrist", but usually they're under the sub-speciality of PM&R (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.) Just make sure to ask if they also do Pain Management. Some do mainly diagnostic work, and others will take you on as a PM patient (as mine does).

Good Luck and keep me posted. cmpgirl

Closed Thread