It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Do Not Take Tramadol!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
    SDFRTYJJJ
    (male)

SDFRTYJJJ HB User
    Do Not Take Tramadol!!!

I took it for my back for 30 days, the withdrawal is horrible and i only took the prescribed amount, I mean HORRIBLE!!! I dont sleep, twitch, sweat , emotional, for 4 days now! dont take this drug lightly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User
    Re: Do Not Take Tramadol!!!

I've been through the withdrawals but I would not recommend that others stay away from tramadol. I think it has its place like all the other meds.

But I do totally sympathize with you and the terrible experience you are going through. I took 400mg/day for over a year and stopped cold turkey. That was an awful experience. I laid in bed kicking, thrashing, sneezing, sweating and going to the can constantly for days. No one told me this would happen. This was back when it was a brand new drug and even my doc told me it was not a narcotic and stopping shouldn't be a problem. I learned otherwise that weekend.

I'm beginning to look at tramadol in similar manner to the way I think about methadone. I do not believe doctors understand either medication all that well. And I don't think they are explained well to patients either. I believe tramadol is prescribed without taking proper account of other meds currently being taken, like antidepressants and such. In addition, I don't think docs are taking a patient's profile into account when prescribing this med. If a patient has depression in the family, then I think it should be prescribed very cautiously, it at all. I believe that when one stops this med, that this can bring on depression since serotonin levels can drop significantly.

If it were up to me I would place tramadol into Schedule III and add a black box warning in the prescribing information warning doctors and pharmacists about the complexities of this medication.

I hope you feel better real soon. There is life after tramadol I assure you.

steve

Old 02-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I know just how bad the withdrawal from tramadol is just as I know how bad the withdrawal from oxycontin/percocet is as well. The withdrawals from any narcotic medications can seem like hell. The key is to slowly, and I mean slowly wean yourself off the medications which make the withdrawal symptoms minimal. I can tell you that I have had just as bad of withdrawal from stopping cold turkey an anti-depressant as a narcotic medication. Any doctor that even says that there should be no withdrawal symptoms from tramadol should be made to take it for a length of time themselves and stop cold turkey. Trust me, they would be telling their patients different. If you really can not withstand the withdrawal effects then the best thing is to go, first contact your doctor and tell them. Second, go back on a low dose of the mediction. Third, have a specific scheule of how you are going to wean yourself off the medication and stick to it. I had to go on an anti-depressant to cut way down on the tramadol from 400mg/day to 100mg/day. You may want to discuss this with your doctor and also check out the addiction message board. Good luck.

Brian

Old 02-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I took it for months and had no withdrawal at all. But I did go right to Oxycodone so maybe I didn't notice any withdrawal symptons.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

When I was on methadone and was hospitalized, I stopped tramadol altogether and felt no withdrawals. So I think being on another narcotic makes a big difference.

steve

Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #6
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

sorry you had such bad luck with tramadol. DID YOU Taper off it or just go cold turkey how did you stop it? If you just quit taking it that is why you got so ill, most people don't get THAT sick from stopping it, they will notice W/D symptoms but not to the exctent you had them. Tramadol is a very good pain med for some people. it doesn't really hlep me out but millions of folks use it and it works well for them so I wouldn't say that people should avoid it. A LOT of people that visit this board take Tramadol and love it. Most people know how hard it is to get off tramadol so this isn't something I have not heard before. Its really no harder than coming off any other pain med in my opinion.

SS

Old 02-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
    sunshine12
    Inactive
    (female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Well now I am very concerned! I just picked up a bottle of Tramadol this am instead of taking Diclofonac. The new Doc asked me if I had ever tried it and I said no, she said it was more of an antiinflamatory so I thought well maybe it will work because at this point I am in angony even with the Diclonfonac.

But I just read this and now I am worried. They are only 50mg but I don't need any more problems. I have osteo arthritis in my hips bad.
    No one said anything about this being a problem to get off of....grrrrrrrr

I know everyone is different but still now I am worried about this. Any suggestions?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

By all means go ahead and use the tramadol.

You just need to understand that like many, many other medications there are trade-offs to consider.

One is that with extended use it is very important to come off it slowly when the time comes. Brian has written all about his experience and it would be good for you to search here and read his recommendations.

But this is a great drug, and I use it daily for my osteoarthritis. However, I wouldn't say it's an anti-inflammatory. It's more like an opioid/anti-depressant is how it's formulated. You can take it along with your diclofenac and they should work very well together.

Use them both and I bet you'll see decreased levels of pain.

steve

Old 02-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
    sunshine12
    Inactive
    (female)

Steve
    Thank you for the enlightment, I will hunt an search here. This is what makes these boards The Best!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

I believe brian goes by brianpain33, but I get confused about this sometimes. Senior moments I guess.

steve

Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Yeah Steve, my screen name is brianpain33. Just so you know I do still take it but I did cut way down and tried going cold turkey from taking 100mg/day to nothing and ended up not being able to drive or go to work because of being so dizzy and nauseas. So the key is NEVER GO COLD TURKEY OFF TRAMADOL. I went from 400mg/day to 100mg/day over about a 2 month period. I stayed on a strict schedule and realized just how much it was helping my depression, which I had before even going on it. So now I had to add in a low dose anti-depressant. You can search my screen name and tramadol. Hope all goes well.

Brian

Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
    ladybumblebee
    (female)

ladybumblebee HB User

Hiya,

I've been on tramadol now for 6 years and can honestly say that it has really helped me. There were some days (in the dim and distant past) where I was almost pain free and forgot to take it for a few days and can honestly say I've never had withdrawal symptoms from it.

The only side effects I have had have been constipation (nice) and excessive sweating but mainly my neck and face rather than anywhere else. If I vacuum or do lots of housework I really notice it - or if I'm anywhere really hot but the trade off is it's an opiate that actually does it's job. It isn't an anti inflammatory so you should have something with it. The worst drug for me was diclofenac and I ended up with a drug to protect my stomach lining whilst taking it.

I'm still on it and am now on Fentanyl as well (hurrah). Just follow docs advice if you need to stop it and you'll be fine.

My advice is give it a go.

LBB

Old 02-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
    sunshine12
    Inactive
    (female)

Ok Brian, Steve and lady bumble bee, Thank you so much. Now I am kind of excited to try it. I mean oh just a minute without pain would be wonderful!
    And I did search Brian's posts and Tramadol, looks like more happy people then not and my dosage is pretty low so.
    Well as soon as I take it and for a few days I will post a new post about it on the boards here. Thank you thank you.

Closed Thread