It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Quick Q Re: Wearing Multiple Fentanyl Patches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
    lizzybrog80
    (female)

lizzybrog80 HB User
    Quick Q Re: Wearing Multiple Fentanyl Patches

Hope everyone is as pain-free as possible!!!

Because I was switching over to Fentanyl 50 mcg, my doc wrote the script for 25 mcg so that I could use one patch first, then two. So now I saw him today, relayed that the 50 mcg really isn't doing anything for me, so he said we could up it to 75 mcg (especially in light of the fact that I will be starting PT in 2 weeks). So he wrote me a new script for 8 more patches to get me through the month, wrote a note on there to the pharmacy that we're switching the dosage so they won't freak out, and I'm good to go. Except now instead of TWO patches, I'm going to be putting THREE patches on at a time. A little annoying. Anyone else do this? One pharmacist I asked told me to put them in different places, and not use the same place for a week. That's tough with three patches? Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences?

Another question. The labeling only suggests three or four places to put the patches (upper arm, "flank", back, chest). Can you really put them anywhere, and those are just the most suggested places? Or are you asking for trouble (lack of absorption) if you put them anywhere else?
    End. Discectomy - July 2007 (L4/5)
    3-level Foraminal Inj. - Jan. 2008 (L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1)
    IDET - 1/25/08 (L3/4)

Last edited by lizzybrog80; 02-21-2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Add additional question

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User
    Re: Quick Q Re: Wearing Multiple Fentanyl Patches

I've had to wear three patches before, and you're right - it's hard to find places for them.

You can wear them in other places like abdomen, thigh, forehead, etc. It's best if the location has a bit of a fat pad, but that's not absolutely essential.

Your pharmacist is correct about the rotation, which is all about avoiding having to put patches on places where the skin is irritated (from previous use). Using a patch on irritated skin can cause much quicker absorption which can be dangerous.

After these are used up can you get him to prescribe the 75mcg patch, or at least one 50 and one 25mcg patch, so you don't have to deal with three patches?

steve

Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lizzybrog80 View Post
    Hope everyone is as pain-free as possible!!!

Another question. The labeling only suggests three or four places to put the patches (upper arm, "flank", back, chest). Can you really put them anywhere, and those are just the most suggested places? Or are you asking for trouble (lack of absorption) if you put them anywhere else?
    I think that I responded to this question a couple of days ago but I will reiterate. I think as long as you wait 2 or 3 days you can put them back in the same location. I actually rotate from upper arm to left abdomen to right abdomen. I don't use my chest since I would have to cut my hair. It says to not shave an area where you put them and to cut the hair. I was putting them on my back when i first started but I no longer have a girlfriend to help me do that so I had to improvise.

I think that I remember you said you are on the Mylan brand. When you get a RX for the 75mcg, make sure you get DURAGESIC (BRAND) OR SANDOZ (GENERIC). Hope that info helps

Brian

Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
    Nu2patch
    (female)

Nu2patch HB User

I agree with everyone. I use the 25 but sometimes have 2 wear 2 of them. I switch them around on my upper arm. I usually use Sandoz but since the recall I had to get mylan today. I cant beleive how small they r and it doesnt look like there is anything in them. From what i read on here everyone prefers the sandoz which makes me scared on using these mylan. i called all around but none carried the sandoz till they start making new batches i guess.

Nu2patch(not so nu2patch no more! )

Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
    Nu2patch
    (female)

Nu2patch HB User

I agree with everyone. I use the 25 but sometimes have 2 wear 2 of them. I switch them around on my upper arm. I usually use Sandoz but since the recall I had to get mylan today. I cant beleive how small they r and it doesnt look like there is anything in them. From what i read on here everyone prefers the sandoz which makes me scared on using these mylan. i called all around but none carried the sandoz till they start making new batches i guess.

Nu2patch(not so nu2patch no more! )

Old 02-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Hi Lizzy,
    I had to call the Duragesic People today and while I had them on the phone I asked them all the places the patches could be put. And here is what they said:

Lower back, Upper Back, Sides of back, Middle Back, Lower Lumbar area of Back, Upper arms, Shoulder Blade area, Stomach, Breast (but not on nipples), under breasts, Either side, Either thigh, Over Shoulder (where Bra strap goes).
    Lower abdomen (kidney area).

I hope this helps,
    Sandollar

Old 02-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandollar View Post
    Hi Lizzy,
    I had to call the Duragesic People today and while I had them on the phone I asked them all the places the patches could be put. And here is what they said:

Lower back, Upper Back, Sides of back, Middle Back, Lower Lumbar area of Back, Upper arms, Shoulder Blade area, Stomach, Breast (but not on nipples), under breasts, Either side, Either thigh, Over Shoulder (where Bra strap goes).Lower abdomen (kidney area).
    It has been said before that putting the patch under the breast is not a good idea because there is additional heat there and it could cause to much of the fentanyl to be released into the body. The other places are fine just not here.

Brian

Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
    lizzybrog80
    (female)

lizzybrog80 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandollar View Post
    Hi Lizzy,

Lower back, Upper Back, Sides of back, Middle Back, Lower Lumbar area of Back, Upper arms, Shoulder Blade area, Stomach, Breast (but not on nipples), under breasts, Either side, Either thigh, Over Shoulder (where Bra strap goes).
    Lower abdomen (kidney area).

I hope this helps,
    Sandollar
    Thank you so much! That was so kind of you to ask for me. That really helps things (as I'm wearing 3 patches now - but only until Monday). Thanks again!
    End. Discectomy - July 2007 (L4/5)
    3-level Foraminal Inj. - Jan. 2008 (L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1)
    IDET - 1/25/08 (L3/4)

Closed Thread