It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Replacing Medications With Generic Brands

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
    randy71
    (male)

randy71 HB User
    Replacing Medications With Generic Brands

Does Anyone know if there are generic medications whose actions are similar to the following meds. I am going to have to begin to pay for my meds and I am unable to afford the brands that I am presently on. I don't want to have to worry about withdrawl. The pain I'm in is enough plus the strain being a chronic pain patient puts on your marriage of 30 years. The brand name meds are:
    Avinza 90mg
    Xodol
    Zanaflex
    Cymbalta
    Lexapro
    Lynesta
    Any info would be greatly appreciated...as I'm petrified

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Re: Replacing Medications With Generic Brands

Randy:
    I don't know what kind of stores are around you but I live here in Ohio and there are several that offer $4 generic medications. I know of Target, Krogers, Giant Eagle, and Walmart. You can go their web sites and look at the list of medications by category usually. Hopefully this will give you a start.

Brian

Old 02-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
    lizzybrog80
    (female)

lizzybrog80 HB User

I know that there is no generic to Avinza. Hope that helps.
    End. Discectomy - July 2007 (L4/5)
    3-level Foraminal Inj. - Jan. 2008 (L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1)
    IDET - 1/25/08 (L3/4)

Old 02-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by randy71 View Post
    Does Anyone know if there are generic medications whose actions are similar to the following meds. Avinza 90mg
    Xodol
    Zanaflex
    Cymbalta
    Lexapro
    Lynesta
    Any info would be greatly appreciated...as I'm petrified
    I know with the "mental health" medication that your doctor can possibly give you samples especially if you can not afford them. Or you can check with the drug manufacturer and sign up for their assistance program. As for the Lunesta I highly doubt you will get that one for a discount since their is no generic. I would suggest maybe trying something OTC like maybe Melatonin and possibly adding benadryl (otc sleeping aid).

As for the Avinza, you might need to switch to something cheaper, maybe even a low dose of Methadone. Methadone is a very effective pain reliever and is very cheap as well. Those are a few suggestions and hopefully others will chime in.

Brian

Old 02-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User

Dear randy71,

Certainly, I don't have answers for any of your medications--just suggestions. So, who knows how they'll fit into your entire set of meds!

When my Mom couldn't find Avinza to be economically practical (meaning the expense was far, far beyond acceptable), her physician moved her to MS Contin (the generic). She has received significant pain relief with this medication. She uses MS Contin 60 mg 3 times a day and does pretty well. Of course, these both are Schedule II medications.

Lunesta (the sleep medicine) doesn't offer much relief from what I've read. My Mom and I both use the generic form of ProSom 2 mg, which is estazolam. This medication is a benzodiazepine (the same class as Xanax, Valium, etc.). I'm not sure about Lunesta, but the benzodiazepines are Schedule IV meds.

Although I am--for most purposes--unfamiliar with Cymbalta, I use generic Elavil (amitriptyline) 50 mg for help with nerve pain--as well as additional help with restful sleep. So, Elavil (amitriptyline) plus ProSom (estazolam) help me in several ways. Again, I am not sure what Cymbalta does, but I have the feeling that it helps with nerve pain and, perhaps, rest. Please, you guys, correct my errors!!

The only item I can offer concerning Zanaflex (tizanidine) is that the many posts concerning this medication usually give it high praise. I am positive that others can enlighten us concerning what this medication actually does! I don't think Zanaflex (tizanidine) is a controlled substance, but I may be absolutely incorrect.

Simply, I don't know anything about Xodol or Lexapro! I'm positive that some of the others on this forum can help with these.

I wish you well!

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Hi Randy...I can fill you in on the Lexapro. I take it also, 20 mg per day. I don't know about the cost, but it is available in brand name only. I get mine through our insurance mail service for maintenance medications and I pay $60 for a 90 day supply.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #7
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Hi Randy:

Sorry I haven't chimed in before now. Busy and all!

Anyhow, my PM just changed me from Fentynal to Avinza last month. There is no brand for it, but he DID give me an "AViNZA Co-Pay Assistnace Card" which is good up to $50 per month for six months. He must have gotten it from the Pharm. Reps. On my way to get my Prescription filled, I thought to myself, "self, this can't be good, a card for up to $50 off, it's gonna cost a FORTUNE!!" LOL. You can use the card in addition to your insurance, but I think you said that you don't have insurance. What it meant for me was that the Avinza was FREE. I didn't pay a penny for it!!!!

deleted

My Pharmacy didn't question a thing. I didn't have any problems using it, and will be able to use it 5 more times.

Deleted

Also, Randy you may want to check out Montel Williams PPA program that is advertised on television. Do some research online, you will know within seconds if you qualify. I HAVE insurance, but it wouldn't pay for Chantix when I stopped smoking, and the PPA program paid for it. (It's EXPENSIVE! )

Good luck to you Randy, I hope that has helped.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Last edited by Administrator; 10-27-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Closed Thread