It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Radiofrequency Ablation is Over but need Pain Management?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User
    Radiofrequency Ablation is Over but need Pain Management?

Hi,
    I put in a call to my PM but he is out until Monday and so far I don't know who else to turn to for Pain Management.
    As for the Precedure, I got to my appt and they told me they were going to use the same stuff they used before (Ketamine) only more of it because this procedure was alot more painful and alot longer.
    He gave me something and I fell asleep, the next thing I know the room was spinning and I didn't know where I was or what was going on. I felt them lift the sheet with me on it and put me on the gurney in the or, I don't know how I got on my stomach, I think that was one of the dizzy, room spinning parts.
    But then I woke up and everything was back to normal! Then I had a searing pain in my back (he just started) I screamed about the pain, he said where where? In the back or the legs, and each time for 45 minutes I would tell him were the pain was and then he would yank the nerve and burn it. OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWCHHHHHHHHHH
    One right after the other, after the other. And they told me earlier I wouldn't remember anything, WRONG!!
    I REMEMBER E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-N-I-G!!!!!!! and in great detail. I even read about it online and people are sedated and DO NOT feel any pain and do not remember the procedure. I am going to ask him about it. Since I was put out, he must of though I was still out during the procedure.
    I don't even think He knows I was awake. Because he didn't do a Local either. I looked at the Anestesolist, but she wasn't looking at me. Then instead of 45 minutes in recovery, I was there maybe 10 or 15, then they put me in a HARD chair and informed me my daughter wouldn't answer her phone!
    I called from my cell, no answer, They checked the waiting room, no answer.I called my son in law, he said he would try to find her, I called her again and she finally answered, I told her the Nurses and I had been waiting 45 minutes,
    She said OH WELL, she was in the waiting room the whole time, NOT! they went out there Several times and the waiting room only had about 4 people in it and she was NOT one of them!!!
    I told the Nurses I had to stand, The pain was getting to bad,they let me stand 5 minutes and made me sit back down.
    I'm home now and have been trying to call PM, but all I keep getting from everyone, is they won't be in until Monday sometime and I don't know what to do. Some meds cause bleeding, so I would rather take nothing, than take the wrong thing.
    I just remembered it's only Friday, I am going to try to call the Doctor who did the Procedure, He may not be able to help with Pain Managemnet, or maybe he can. It's worth a try. I'm terrible at this Pain Management stuff.
    Sandollar

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
    Re: Radiofrequency Ablation is Over but need Pain Management?

Sanddollar:

Just want you to know I'm thinking of you and praying you get some relief soon. My last ESI, the Versed did not put me totally out, and I kept telling the Doc I could feel what he was doing. I heard him tell the Anestheologist, "Push more Versed" and after that, I don't remember anything.

Perhaps it was because I had been taking narcotics for so long, I don't know. It kinda scares me, because I know those of us who do take a heavy regime of opiates are harder to sedate for surgery. There have been some horror stories about surgeries and dental surgeries because of this.

Again, good luck, and I'm praying for ya.

Blessings,

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 02-29-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

The last esi he did for me 3 weeks ago he used 4 vials of Ketamine, (a general Anestesia) with Fentanyl, He told me he would be using ALOT more this time due to it being alot longer and alot more painful. But I only recieved ONE injection in the IV and I fell asleep. They never gave me anymore after that. I even kept looking at the Anestesiaolist and can tell you about her nicely manicured fingernails and her pretty ring, but she wouldn't look at me!
    They knew it would take more than that for me. It took 4 vials for a esi! They should of checked. His office opens in 20 minutes and i want to talk to him if I can. I can repeat word for word what he was saying in the OR.
    When I kept asking for something for pain after it was over they looked at me and said: You've had enough!
    I think I really need to let him know this. I HEARD him tell them to give me more this time. and they didn't. I know there is nothing he can do now. But maybe he can call something in, I don't know, but I can't stay like this the entire weekend.
    I know his patients in his home office don't get sedation, but they DO GET A LOCAL, I didn't.
    It didn't have anything to do with us and our pain meds, really. He was prepared and told them what to give me, They just didn't do it.
    I just Pray he comes in his office today and i get a chance to talk to him.
    Sandollar

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-03-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: color edit, difficult to read

Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #4
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Wow...

Good luck. I hope you get to talk to him. And I hope he can RIP the Anestiologist a "new one" for not following orders.

I pray he is there, and can give you relief so you can have a comfortable weekend!!

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Hi,
    I did get a call from the Surgery center, asking me how I was doing ?hummmmm, Good question, THEY ASKED FOR IT!
    So I told them, and they contradicted everything I said. So I just said: Have a nice day and I'll see you soon AND the records that prove me wrong.
    She got really quiet and said, that will NEVER happen again. They guerentee I will be comfortable the next time!

I also got ahold of the Doctor's office and his Nurse, She is very upset and said she will make sure he calls me ASAP, they close @ noon today, but he WILL call me, even if it is tonight from his home.

I guess she was there, Her name is Susan, but not in on the procedure and had ask someone afterwards why was I hyperventalating? They told her I was like that during the procedure and crying really hard. And when I came out to Post-op still crying and hyperventilyling, I wasn't able to talk. They didn't know why, they just told me to stop crying, there was no reason for it!

Susan went back to the main office and later mention it to my Doctor. She she said she was sorry, but he WILL be calling me today!!

Thank the Dear Lord for witness's
    Sandollar

While our Forums offer an array of colors to post with please keep in mind that some colors, particularly light ones and those in the green tonal region are actually difficult for many individuals to read. I changed your post back to black for ease in reading.
    Thank you - HBMod07

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-02-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Difficult to read color

Old 03-01-2008, 02:20 AM   #6
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I am going for a consultation for this on Friday. From what little they told me, they said they give you something to lessen the pain a little but not knock you out. They said you need to be awake. They will hit a nerve and you have to tell them it hurts. Then they burn the ending. You have to be able to tell them when it hurts. If not, they may burn the wrong nerve ending and you will have more trouble. I thought I had that done in 2001 but did not know what it was called. I remember then hitting the nerve and I almost jumped off the table. Of course they tell you not to move. That dr. never explained anything to me. So I think it is normal to be awake and feel some pain. They are suppose to make it easier with the pain though with a little anesthesia. It does make sense. If they went in and burned all the nerve endings then you would be in trouble. Not sure if any of this makes sense or if I got it right. Hope you are feeling better.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Yes, it makes sense, the little pain med they gave me (in PRE-OP)wore off COMPLETELY before he even began, He didn't do a local He thought I was sedated and the pain was so horrible I was Hyperventating and could not speak for myself, I was crying to hard, I kept looking at the Anest girl and she wouldn't look at me or the monitor which would of told her I was hyperventalting.
    I tryed so hard to talk, but I didn 't have a voice.

Then on top of all that, I did talk to Susan and finally got through to her that I needed to talk to the Doctor and about what happened, (I never mentioned any pain meds to her), I just told her I really needed to let him know I was WIDE AWAKE and hyperventatating and in severe pain and not sedated at ALL! She said she would have him call me right back.
    He didn't call, or at least I thought he didn't, I must of dosed off. When I woke up I checked my Answering machine and Susan was on it and said she explained my PAIN to the Doctor and he called in some LORTABS for me!

OH GOD, NO!
    I never asked her to do that. I hurried and called the Pharmacy to cancel it.
    IT was too late, The Parmacy told the Doctor I have a PM who does my Pain meds and he cancelled it immediatly and called my other PM and told him I was trying to get Meds from another Doctor!!
    NOW WHAT?
    Monday I have EXACTLY 1 1/2 hours to talk to this Doctor and Susan BEFORE my PM opens his office and has asked me to come in to help me with this pain.
    I don't want to mess it up. I need Susan to fix this and let the Doctor who did the Procedure know I wanted to talk to HIM! about the procedure (she took the rest into her own hands knowing I was in so much pain.)
    And then How do I let my PM know this Monday Morning when he opens???
    I am always honest with him. But it never makes it any less scary.
    I REALLY NEED SOME PM ADVICE HERE.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH,
    Sandollar

Old 03-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

PS, I never had a consultation. Just what the Surgery Center told me would happen step by step is all. They also said 3 times, I WOULD NOT rememeber anything and I WOULD NOT feel any pain.
    Sandollar

Last edited by sandollar; 03-01-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Added Text

Old 03-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Thank God Tomorrow is Monday, I hate waiting weekends to fix a problem. So at 8:30am I am going to talk to Susan and remind her I only asked to speak to the Doctor and try to clear this up, Being his PA I am sure she will remember our conversation. The Pharmacy I had been going to for 15 years said there shouldn't be a problem, Since I never ASKED for pain meds and never went to pick them up.
    I also called my Pain Management Doctor before they closed Friday and I was asked a series of Questions. For me: They were very easy to answer, But if I had been lying, I would of had to stop and think about each one. After the Questions, they said to call on Monday as planned and come in and pick up a new script like they told me too previously (since I needed more Percocet that 1 every 12 hours, he told me to take what I needed, Like every 4 hours or so) and Monday he is going to write a script to make up the difference so I can make it to my appt on the 12th.
    So I think everything is ok, I just need to fix it with the Surgeon and Remind Susan of our Conversation (which had NOTHING to do with pain meds). And everything to do with what happened during the procedure.
    Wish me luck,
    Sandollar

Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Hi All,
    Everything worked out great, I was able to talk to both Doctors and they know it was a misunderstanding, as the PA explained it, When I called to talk to the Surgeon I was in Severe Pain and hard to Understand, but she does recall me wanting to speak with the Doctor, And that it was just a Mis- communication.
    Pm gave me enough Percocets to last. I took my meds with me and showed him I had taken 16 "for those 4 days of severe pain day & night."(Appox every 6 hours or so=with his permission!) So he wrote me a script of 20 to make sure I make it till the 12th next week for my appt.
    I hate weekends. When your in pain, things are mis-communicated, and there is nothing you can do till Monday.
    I usually take a med vacation for a week, but due to the Radio Frequency Ablation I was in severe pain, (not sure if I EVER want to do that again).
    Sandollar

Old 03-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I guess I am lucky. After my second set of three shots they told me my next visit will be a consultation with the dr. for the radio frequency. I am glad. You barely get to talk to them for a minute when getting the shots. So I will see what he says.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #12
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Good Luck,
    I hope he answers all your questions.
    I only had 2 ESI injections and they worked good, so he went straight to the Radio Frequency thing without seeing me. I had never heard of it before.
    I do get to talk to him in a followup the end of March at least. It's about time!
    Sandollar

Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #13
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Hi Hessie28 & SpinalMalady,

I hope you get to read this,
    I got a very surprising phone call tonight. It was from the head of Anesthesiology, When the Surgery Center had sent me the letter to fill out about how I liked my stay, I told them what Happened and said I did not understand and was confused. They faxed it to the Dr who always does my Anesthesia over there. I didn't know he was the Head of Anesthesia in a Hospital North of here. But he told me he remembered me and was there for just a little bit this time and got called away, so he turned my case over to the girl I mentioned. He told her what to give me.

He had my record when he called and she originally gave me too much Ketamine and Fentanyl is why I fell asleep so fast, but knowing my case, he always gives it too me in 10 minute intervals until I fall asleep, but he also gives me VERSED (which I knew I wasn't given), he said according to the records, she never gave me any Versed at all. I said: If she would of looked at the monitor she would of known I was Hyperventilating and could not breathe, he said: she looked at the monitor "shortly" and my Oxygen level "seemed" ok. I said, I guess It would since I was screaming in pain and Hyperventilating, but I wasn't able to talk, I couldn't tell her i was awake or get her attention or the girl on the stool by the wall.,

Finally after several times I just put my head down and cryed, not lightly, but flat out bawling, between the pain, not being able to breathe and not getting their attention. And when she put her hand on my wrist I tried one last time to get her attention, but I couldn't get her to look at me.

He talked for several hours and apologized several times, he asked me what about the Doctor, I told him there was nothing he could do, the draping was too high for him to see me. He is calling a meeting in the morning with the girl and Doctor and putting a notation in all my charts what I am supposed to have in case he is not there. and he wants to know :FROM THE PEOPLE IN THE ROOM: WHY-Nobody could see I was in distress. What- were they doing that was so important that of all the people, not one person noticed all my attempts for help.

The Doctor will just be Notified and in the Room with him, Everyone else will be in the HOT SEAT I guess. He also said, in that 45 minutes she should of asked me "How I was doing?" and I could of shook my head no. That is standard procedure. Using Versed for this is also Standard Procedure and I was denied both. Sitting beside or behind your subject is Standard Procedure, not standing so I could not get her attention and she couldn't see me. He also said, the Doctor DID NOT use a local, because he thought I was sedated.

He hoped that incident did not scare me away, he said thats very rare and he is putting my case in all the charts as he mentioned in case he is not there again. Although he always has been except this time. And it would NEVER EVER happen again.. He asked if I had another appt yet and i told him no, think that was the last unless I needed another nerve burned. In which case I will see a tremendous difference when I return, and not to be afraid of it happening again because he can guarantee it won't!

Thank God thats over and Pm's fixed.

THANK YOU FOR WRITING, YOUR THE ONLY ONES WHO CARED ENOUGH TO ANSWER, BEING AWAKE DURING A-N-Y SURGERY IS TRAUMATIZING ENOUGH. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CARING!!

HESSIE, I hope I didn't scare you away from your procedure. From mine, I did learn Fentanyl, Ketamine (general anesthsia) & Versed among others ARE used during this procedure and NO, your NOT supposed to remember anything or be in any pain. Mine just messed up.

Sandollar

Last edited by sandollar; 03-06-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Added Text

Old 03-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #14
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandollar View Post
    HESSIE, I hope I didn't scare you away from your procedure. From mine, I did learn Fentanyl, Ketamine (general anesthsia) & Versed among others ARE used during this procedure and NO, your NOT supposed to remember anything or be in any pain. Mine just messed up.

Sandollar
    Hi, I am in so much pain from my neck, stomach, elbow, back and leg that I am surrendering. I will see what he says. The nurse told me after my last shot that they don't knock you out completely because you need to be able to tell them if they are in the right spot. Who knows. Will let you know how the consultation goes. Thanks for sharing your story.

Closed Thread