It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Difference between Oxycodone and Oxycotin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
    enigma2013
    (female)

enigma2013 HB User
    Difference between Oxycodone and Oxycotin?

Hello all,
    I am new to this site. I have a general question about the difference between Oxycodone and Oxycontin for anyone that knows. I always look up a new drug when my Dr gives it to me- I was under the impression that he was giving me Oxycodone 5 mg, but when I looked up the pill itself by the imprint, it is describing it as being Oxycontin. I thought those were two different things, are they in fact one in the same or is the information I found on it incorrect?

On an unrelated note, is (3) 5/500 hydrocodones per day considered a lot? I feel as if my back pain is becoming manageble now, and am not sure if switching to the oxycodone is necessary since from what I understand it is a stronger medication. If anything maybe I should be weening off of the hydro since it does seem as if my back pain is lessening (I have been increasing the dose from 1 to 3 per day over the last 6 months). I am thinking of not starting on the Oxycodone- and since there are only a couple of the hydros left maybe just quitting altogether and seek alternate forms of pain management (OTC, difference exercise, etc.) but I am obviously concerned about w/d effects. I also take Xanax for anxiety- does that have the potential to help aleviate some of the w/d? Anyone who has thoughts, opinions, advice, you are appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
    Re: Difference between Oxycodone and Oxycotin?

Hi enigma:

I just want to welcome you to the boards. Sorry to hear you have back issues, but at the same time, it's great to hear that your problems are leveling out.

Let me see if I can help with your question. Please understand that I am not a doc, and I'm sure many others with MUCH more knowledge will be by to offer some advice. Myself, I've never taken oxycontin, but I have taken oxycodone.

Oxycodone is a SA or short acting medication that has tylenol, or apap in it. It's effects will be felt in about 40 minutes to one hour, and depending on how long you have been on it, and how much you take, it will provide relief anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. Generally, I believe, it is recommended to take it every 4-6 hours. The brand name that I took was Percocet, but there are some other brands out there, and I'm sure others will be by to tell you what they are.

Oxycontin is a LA or long acting medication that has NO apap in it. It is a continuous release medication. This means that (someone correct me if I am wrong please) half of the medication is released when you first take it, and the other half is released at the 8 hour mark. It is prescribed generally to be taken every 12 hours, but many will tell you that it often does not provide relief for that duration, and their PM docs prescribe it to be taken every 8 hours or 3X per day. You should NEVER crush or chew this medication as it will release all of the medication at one time, and it could be fatal.

That's about all the information I have. I hope it was helpful. If I am wrong about anything, others will come in and post their thoughts. Good luck to you, and once again, welcome aboard.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

to my knowledge,and i do also take both oxycontin and oxycodone(oxy IR),they do not actually even MAKE a 5mg dose of actual oxycontin. it wouldn't really be much of a help at all at only 5 mgs. you would only be getting half of that 5mg at one hour and the other half at six(that is how this actually releases spinal m). it would really make a dent in anyones pain at all really. if this is indeed the very small pill,he could have actually Rxed you a med that i take,oxy IR or roxicodone. now THAT i know comes in 5mgs and it is very small similar to oxycontin in size. if it actually contained any tylenol,that pill would be a much larger tab.

like i said,to even really bother to actually create only a 5mg dose of oxycontin really would't be worth their money when just regular dosing of the 5mg roxi or IR would do a much better job,you know what i mean? i really do think that what you have there is not really oxycontin but the roxi or IR. just what does that pill actually look like and any markings that are on it? marcia

Old 03-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinalMalady View Post
    Oxycodone is a SA or short acting medication that has tylenol, or apap in it.
    This is not quite accurate concerning oxycodone. Oxycodone is an ingredient in both Percocet and Oxycontin. Maybe I could clear things up a little bit.

Percocet = Oxycodone + Acetaminophen (APAP)

Oxycontin(brand name) = Oxycodone

Now this is where it gets confusing. There are 2 different forms of Oxycodone. There is a SA (short acting) or IR(immediate release)form which last a couple of hours and then there is the LA (long acting) or (SR)sustained release form which lasts between 8-12 hours

There used to be generic forms of Oxycodone (sustained release) but now I believe there is only the brand name which is Oxycontin. I hope this clears things up a little bit.

Brian

P.S. I forgot about your other question. If you think that you can get by with just the hydrocodone then I would take that. However, if you think you can control your pain without medication then you could SLOWLY TITRATE DOWN on your meds and go off of them. I HIGHLY doubt that you will be able to handle the pain without meds but you don't know unless you actually go med free. Keep us posted

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-13-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: clarification

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

From everything you wrote, my recommendation is to either stay with the hydrocodone or try a drug holiday.

You genuinely seem to be uncertain as to whether you actually need these meds any more. And that's an honorable self examination.

If you can avoid going to the harder stuff, and avoid any further dependence that would be fantastic for you. Really. If you could manage your life with an on and off again use of hydrocodone once in a while when it gets bad - that would be perfect. I sure wish I could be that way.

If you look at the Addiction board they have posts on ways to safely and, as comfortably as possible, detox off these meds. You are currently on a minor narcotic compared to others and I think that if you could get another supply of hydrocodone and taper off a little at a time, using the suggestions on the addiction board as well, that would be super.

At least consider this please. I would give anything to not be dependent on opioids (that is if I could do without them for the pain). Try to give that gift to yourself. I guarantee that later in life you'll be happy with this decision. Just think, if you need surgery you won't have any worries that pain management might be difficult. You won't have to go through the hassle of getting a new Rx every month. You won't have to get urine tests. You won't have to suffer the prejudice CP patients experience on a regular basis at doctors offices and pharmacies. The list goes on and on.

Cheers!

steve

Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

I knew someone would come along and correct me if I was wrong. Sorry about the misinformation there. My bad. Thanks Brian. We can always count on you!

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Closed Thread