It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Mild "buzz" on Percocet normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Mild "buzz" on Percocet normal?

Well, my doctor started me on Percocet 5/325 today and I took the first one around 1pm today. After about an hour I started to feel a little "buzz", spaced out, and amazingly alertness and energy at the same time. I am sure you guys will know the feeling I am talking about. My question though is how concerned should I be? I will tell you that my pain level went from a 4 to a 2 maybe. I just forgot what it felt like and of course the last time I was on this I was not on all the other meds (patch, ultram, lyrica). I just want to make sure I don't set my "disease" of addiction off. I am trying so hard to do the right thing.

Brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-14-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: meant 5/325

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
    ARANGER
    Veteran
    (male)

ARANGER HB User
    Re: Mild "buzz" on Percocet normal?

Hey Brian,

I haven't heard of percocet 3/325. I know there is 2.5, 5, 7.5 and 10. Anyway, I don't know your history, but you mentioned addiction in the past. Euphoria is a common effect especially from meds like Oxycodone (percocet). Luckily it is one of the first things to diminish with time. However, if you find you are "chasing" euphoria, then that can be a problem. With the same dose over an extended time, the euphoria will go away. I would be concerned if you are looking for the euphoria vs. pain management.

Addiction and tolerance are two completely different things. If you find you are running out early, or dr. shopping etc, then addiction is a major concern. However, your body becomes used to the meds and increases are needed for analgesic is tolerance and is normal. Unfortunantly, Oxycodone is one of the drugs that your body will build a tolerance to rather quickly.

Try not to associate the euphoria for analgesia. Thats when things can become a problem. But tolerance to a med is common for CP. I would just do a self check frequently to make sure your meds are for pain vs euphoria. You should find that it will go away quickly with the same dose. Just always make sure to follow your Dr's orders and if you find you are going outside of that, then it is time to re-evaluate what is going on.

Good luck. Take care

Old 03-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I agree with Aranger in that any euphoria will be short lived....Especially, since you've been on opiates for a while.

Brian- I'm assuming your Doc increased your BT meds from Lortab to percs?

Ex

Old 03-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Executor View Post
    Brian- I'm assuming your Doc increased your BT meds from Lortab to percs?
    Ex
    Yes he did but he also wants me to stop the Ultram. I told him no I will not just stop taking the Ultram but I will titrate down and go off. I reminded him of the anti-depressant effects.

Brian

Old 03-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
    lizzybrog80
    (female)

lizzybrog80 HB User

I haven't heard of percocet 3/325. I know there is 2.5, 5, 7.5 and 10

Percocet 5/325 is the most prescribed dose - it's been around for quite a while

Brian, I am certain that the euphoria will go away shortly. But you got some good advice above about not chasing that feeling instead of the pain. I'm so jealous you got down to a 2! That's so great! Congrats! Best of luck to you!
    End. Discectomy - July 2007 (L4/5)
    3-level Foraminal Inj. - Jan. 2008 (L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1)
    IDET - 1/25/08 (L3/4)

Old 03-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OK everyone it is the 5/325mg Percocet. Maybe they are affecting me more than I realize or merely a typo. Anyway I am also tired from not sleeping well and let's just say that I have a distraction in my bed now I'm trying to get my natural endorphins going. But yes he wants me on just the Percocet instead of the Lortab & Ultram together for BT meds.

So it works out 5/325 Percocet x 4/daily instead of 5/500 Lortab x 4/daily and 100mg Ultram

Hope that clears things up even though I am thinking a little foggy at the moment

Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

As I said earlier this week, I think it's a great move. The lortab just weren't strong enough to knock out any pain that the patch didn't get. The patch & Oxy combo will be much better combination. I think you may find that you'll take less of the Oxy (than the Lortabs). Good luck.

Ex

Old 03-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #8
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Brian,

I have a concern, so I'll play a little Devil's Advocate.

I'd love to be at a 4, even after BT meds. I consider my BT meds to be used when I hit 6-7 or more. My doc would not be happy with me to learn I was taking my med at a 4. Our agreement is that she promises to try to keep me at a 5, whenever possible. That was my idea If I'm at a 6 or less I do nothing for quite some time in hopes it will come down on its own. If a 6 drags on for too long, then I'll relent, but quite often my LA med will win. Anything 7 or more and I'm using the OxyDose. I hope this makes sense.

With so much addiction in my family I put addiction on a par with any other big-time disease, like CP, so I give equal weight to both recovery and pain management. So, for me (if I were an addict) I'd consider taking BT meds at a 4 as a mild warning sign.

I know this might sound brutal to lots of folks, but if they'd seen what I've seen addiction do to a loved one, they would understand.

I hope you understand Brian that I am really trying to help.

Best Wishes,

steve

Old 03-15-2008, 02:51 AM   #9
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Hey Brian:

I thought very long and hard before replying and almost decided against replying. My post may come across as harsh to you, and half of me is cringing inside because of that, and the other half is livid.

First off, I'm just really scared for you right now Brian. I am afriad you are rationalizing your "need" to walk down that slippery slope BACK into using, except this time it won't be street drugs. You have mentioned over and over again that your DOC was "street drugs".

In my minds eye, a "mild buzz" is not a good thing. I totally understand the too much apap concern, etc. But all this time, when I have read your posts, I have thought that your pain was "out there" like a 6, 7, or higher. My doc won't even consider a medication change below a six. It's not practical in his eyes. It doesn't mean he's right and you and your doc is wrong, it's just how he does things.

But a 4 to a 2??? Many of us wish we could get to a 4 much less a 2.

I'm just afraid that with all of the other things going on in your life, and the life choices you are making right now that (as you have previously yourself stated caused you some guilt) will lead you into misusing or tricking your brain into thinking the pain is worse than it is, because that is how the disease works. So, soon the "mild buzz" is gone, the pain receptors kick in, and tell you that you have more pain than you really do, and you tell the doc, we need to "kick it up a notch". See what I mean? And though it's not "street drugs", and you are getting them legally, etc. what happens, when and if your doc gets tired of you asking to keep upping your meds?? To whom will you turn??

You continue to work, with little time off, (no finger pointing, so do I) and I'm just thinking why not combat the increase in pain with some hydro therapy, biofeedback, or some additional walking to strenghten that foot. See what I'm saying?

I'm not trying to put you down, just to make you really look deep within yourself. If you choose to be angry at me, I'll understand. But then again, if you do, I'd have to ask myself, did I hit a nerve??

You offer so much to the folks on this board. You are compassionate, and giving of yourself. I just would hate to see what happened to one of my dear friends, happen to our beloved Brian. That's all I'm trying to get across. Love me, hate me, whatever, just hear my concern...that's all I ask. If I'm wrong, then Thank you Jesus!

((((Brian))))

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 03-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #10
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

I guess I'm a little confused.........

Just a few days ago on March 11th, there was a long thread started by Brian titled "I'm about to break"......I would encourage people to go back an re-read it if you have some time.

In that thread, he states that his pain is averaging a 6-7 and how the Lortabs aren't working well.....Myself and others talked about how the patch/Lortab combination just wasn't working anymore.

Now, just yesterday, he reports his pain dropping from a 4 to a 2....I've got to think that either it's a typo or a one day anomaly. In general, that post didn't sound like the same situation as a couple of days ago. I'm sure there is a logical explanation. Let's get some more info.

Ex

Old 03-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey brian,everything that SM just told you,ditto. i honestly was thinking the very same thing here really. having been down that road myself,that little "buzz" along with the enrgized feeling are kind of little red flags there for us. this is the exact feeling i get from hydro,that is why i will never ever touch that crap again.it WOULD set me off.

hopefully this will go away for soon,but honestly brian,if it doesn't,you really DO need to speak up to the Rxing doc and tell him for your own sake hon. this 'could' potentially set off and reactivate the addiction. we are very different than others who have not gone thru the cycle of addiction and really really have to be extra careful in what we chose to do or take for our pain. the thing is,its the addictive personality mind set that will suck us in. your "brain' obviously liked this and that feeling did scare you to a certain degree too or you wouldn't have posted it here,you know what i mean?

for me,like i said,hydro gave me this very same buzzed energized feeling and i was flippin supermom while i was taking it. it also had this amazing ability to actually lift my depression. this was a huge recipe for disaster and it happened that way for me too. considering what has been going on with you lately hon,what you stated in that post really did scare me,alot. i would really hate to see you go down that road again,and i know you don't want to go there again either.

i would see how things go the next few days and if that feeling and everything else that is coming along for the ride doesn't go away for you,you really really need to do some soul searching here and see what other options are availiable to you. this just is not a good situation for you. its the choices we make that put us in that good place or back into that bad place. only you really know where you are at with this and what that 'good' choice actually is. i do wish you lots of luck with this brian. just take that reality check of yourself and see where it takes you. if you have a sponser,you really do need to have a chat,it could help you to really see things a bit more clearly right now. please keep us all posted,Marcia

Old 03-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #12
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Brian-
    I've seen you talk about making sure meds do not give you that euphoric feeling, and that if you get that euphoria it's not a good thing and that it means your medications are more than needed to help your pain. If I'm not mistaken, you even spoke about keeping a certain level of pain when taking your meds specifically so you don't get that euphoria.

I know you want to stay on the straight and narrow, but I want to remind you of your own words about the effects of medication and the dangers of an old bad habit sneaking up on you.

If your pain was only at a 4, then you were already well ahead of the game, so why the need to take a BT medication? Please, please be very careful here because you may be treading on very thin ice.

Please take care and know that the things said here on the boards are said in the spirit of care and concern for one of our friends/family members, ok, not in a harsh or judgemental spirit. We are all here to support each other and try and look out for each other's best intrests. Keep us posted.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #13
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Y'all can't EVEN know how scared I was to bring this up. I debated and debated, but decided to go out on a limb.

Brian, everything I said, I did so because I CARE ABOUT YOU. Please know that. If you are angry at me, I can understand, but please know that I did it with no malice in my heart.

((((Brian))))

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 03-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Executor View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused.........

Just a few days ago on March 11th, there was a long thread started by Brian titled "I'm about to break"......I would encourage people to go back an re-read it if you have some time.

In that thread, he states that his pain is averaging a 6-7 and how the Lortabs aren't working well.....

Now, just yesterday, he reports his pain dropping from a 4 to a 2....I've got to think that either it's a typo or a one day anomaly. In general, that post didn't sound like the same situation as a couple of days ago. I'm sure there is a logical explanation. Let's get some more info.

Ex
    Ex,

Even w/o this post (this thread starter), the replies of urgent concern need to be said "now." You need to understand that none of these dear posters wanted to post like this, including myself. But it's been coming for some time now. This issue of the percocets and using a BT med at a 4 was just "the final" straw so to speak (at least for me it was). If you don't have personal experience with addiction, or haven't had your life permanently altered by someone else's addiction, then you need to know that this expression of concern is exactly what's needed right now.

Brian,

I'm really hurting buddy, and there's no med that I can take for it. So the tears just have to flow. Brian, you are a shining light here to light the path of those who may be crossing the fine line into trouble. You have so many posts to your credit that have been right on, and so needed by the folks who may not know what they're getting into with their meds. And in so doing, you have been both gentle and tough depending on the situation. Each time I have applauded your insights and words of admonishment and of help. Now I sit here with tears trying to be a "Brian" for you.

Look at these words you have written in this post alone:
    Quote:
    "OK everyone it is the 5/325mg Percocet. Maybe they are affecting me more than I realize or merely a typo. Anyway I am also tired from not sleeping well and let's just say that I have a distraction in my bed now I'm trying to get my natural endorphins going. But yes he wants me on just the Percocet instead of the Lortab & Ultram together for BT meds.

So it works out 5/325 Percocet x 4/daily instead of 5/500 Lortab x 4/daily and 100mg Ultram

Hope that clears things up even though I am thinking a little foggy at the moment..."
    I firmly believe you know the gravity of the situation Brian. I know you're hearing that "still small voice" crying at the top of its lungs. Please listen to it, because there are others of us here that are hearing the cries loud and clear. I won't go into detail as to the posts that are hurting so badly. You know where they are.

Brian, what I love about you is that you're an open book. I bet you've hidden nothing from us. You are so transparent, and you admit this because you want us to know everything, in order to be of the most help. You've even written this. [this is so hard Brian - I have never written these kind of words in front of other people - but we don't have the ability to chat or email one another so how else am I to say these painful things?]

Brian, you have set yourself up as an example to others. In your posts you tell of how you are handling things so as to avoid never going back... All in hopes to get through to those posters you believe are crossing the line. Here's your chance to make good on that. Right now you can begin to fix wrong choices and continue to move forward rather than the alternative.

I love you Brian. That's why this hurts so bad. But don't change anything for me, do it for yourself. I could go into specifics about what actions to take, what to stop, what to get out of your life, what to make right, but that's for you and your sponsor, and your God.

Please don't feel you must stop posting or being so transparent. If you want to ignore me I'll understand. If you want to strike out at me I'll understand that too. But please don't go quiet. I need you and so does everyone else here. We all love you Brian.

With Love,

steve

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-15-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: quote fix

Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OK everyone let's slow down a minute. First of all I am really feeling "attacked" at the moment. I thought very long and hard about going back on the Percocet. Yes, yesterday did happen to be an anomaly. Plus, I don't think the Lortab was completely out of my system before I took the Percocet. Then I was extremely tired from not sleeping well. I think that was why I was feeling so weird having some of the hydrocodone, Ultram, and then Percocet in my system. Today is much different with no Lortab and I am slowly decreasing the Ultram. My pain is back up to a 6 right now as it has been the last couple of weeks. The other reason it had gone down was the weather was better yesterday, I had rested my foot the last couple of days, and then the combo of the meds all in my system.

Today is completely different. I do realize that the feeling from the Percocet is different than the feeling from the Lortab. I do realize that it is stronger. I really struggled whether to increase the patch which I really do not want to do at the moment, or increase my BT meds. I prayed, came to you guys for advice, and really did some searching on just how active I am going to be. I have been going through alot and I am still going through withdrawal from the Effexor. My psychiatrist is putting me on Clonidine to see if that helps. I looked at the pamphlet for Strattera and I meet all the conditions of ADD but she didn't think so. My bi-polar and anxiety are out of control and needs to be treated appropriately as well. It wasn't like the other poster where I might have went from 5/500 Lortabs to 40mg Oxycontin. I am trying not to get mad but I felt like I was being "harshly" judged. I will keep you all posted.

Brian

Closed Thread