It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Been sick, one step forward two steps back

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Been sick, one step forward two steps back

Hi all, I have caught some virus that is going around, I have even had family members in two other states who have had or have it. Anyway congested really bad & the cough seems to be aggravating my shoulder & back. In between the shoulder blades hurts like mad. I was starting to have alittle more control with the pain & then caught this virus. Bad enough that my other shoulder has been really painful in the mornings but this cough & congestion is really intensifying the pain. I was was wondering how much all this coughing is going to set me back. Anyone else experiance anything like this. With all the existing pain we all have when get sick on top of that how much does it increase your pain level. Sounds kind of stupid but trying to figure out what the actual pain level is from the shoulder & added pain by the virus (all the coughing) is tough, as I said I was just starting to get some decent days in. To say the least I am really frustrated at it all. Surgeon appointment today have to note any questions down or sure enough I will forget what the heck I wanted to ask him. One step forward & two steps back, that is how I feel & sure enough I know he is going to add PT to it all. Wish me luck. Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: Been sick, one step forward two steps back

Hi Sammy.....Hope you are doing ok. I didn't catch what you describe, but last week, I came down with some type of stomach virus....And, I thought I was going to die....literally. I vomited a few times, but had the worst headache ever....Felt like I had been kicked by a mule. The cramping was awful.

These type of episodes in life are bad enough, but when PM patients get them, they are magnified that much more. The primary reason is because PM patients are less pain tolerant overall...Meds can actually can cause more sensitivity to pain / suffering. Add in one's everyday pain from his/her respective condition, and you usually have one big mess. I couldn't get out of bed for 2 days...But, I had my laptop and health boards (lol)!!

Hope you're feeling better.

Ex

Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Hey Sammy. I've been very lucky so far. Even though that bug is going around this side of the state too I haven't caught it. In my opinion, unless you cough hard enough to rip a stitch or something, this shouldn't set you back at all. Like EX said we are more sensitive to pain so when we get a bug everything goes to heck. The bad thing I've experienced with all the meds is what to take for a cold? It would be a shame to go through all this crap to just check out because a cold medicine reacts with a pain med.
    Get feeling better, now!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi Sammy!
    Hubby came home from a golf trip in AZ, with a nasty bronchial virus, and none of us got it, THEN we went on a week long trip for spring break to golf with another family, and their son stayed with my son in their suite, and gave it to all of us! Ive been so ill...
    Ive been so sick that I forgot to call my pharmacy to order my patches, and my dear doc today called me in some extra meds for a week until I could get them. Thats pretty bad when you forget to order your meds. I keep telling hubs that "Im only one stromach flu away from my ideal weight."
    Feel better!!!
    xoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 03-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Sammy: Just wanted to say a little "hang in there". My hubby is definitely coming down with something respiratory. I've been "air kissing" him for the last 2 days!

Coughing is the worst for CP patients (next to vomiting, that is). It makes even non pain infiltrated places hurt like He**.

I'll be sending you good thoughts for a quick recovery, cmpgirl

Old 03-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

sammy:
    I was going to suggest maybe asking your doctor for a prescription for cough medication. I received some codeine/phenergan cough syrup back in december when I thought I was getting pneumonia again. This stuff really helped get the cough down but it knocked me the heck out. If you want to sleep well just take some of this, wow. I did take it as prescribed and actually have 1/3 of a bottle left. I will be praying for you sammy. It couldn't hurt to ask the doc for some or something with some hydrocodone in it (acts as a cough suppresant).

Brian

Old 03-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IZZY'SMOM View Post
    Hi Sammy!
    Hubby came home from a golf trip in AZ, IZZY'SMOM
    Hey there Izzy's mom. Can I ask how in the world you are able to play golf. I would probably make it half way through the course and have to ride the golf cart back. I can probably tolerate 2-3 hours on my feet and then that is it. But of course it has to be a good pain day too. I was just curious how you are able to do it.

Brina

Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks everyone, I swear I was healthier when I got out more. There is so much going around. I have barely been out.
    Ex, my friends husband has the good old stomach virus, I'll take the cough.
    The doc. ordered me a tablet Tessalon perles, have never heard of it. & when I read the side effects I thought ok I will try the mucinex for afew days & see how it goes, along with all the old remadies. Tired of all these meds.
    I can't believe all the viruses out there. Went to see the surgeon today & he wants to try me on another anti inflammatory, so don't want to take all this at once, still on the percocet up to four times aday. I am really congested, weird one minute I feel like I am getting better next I feel exhausted, chilled & just sick. This can last more then two weeks. stay well you guys, keep your hand washed.
    Fred my friend, put a post up on the new med. & in it I mentioned that the nurse told me it could take up to a year to really to recover from this shoulder surgey, I remember you had went through the decompression so how did it go with you? Boy this is more then I bargianed for, to boot my other shoulder is really bothering me. I am to young for this. I want to get better so I can act like I am 21 for awhile since I have been feeling like I am 100. So you recall how long it took for you to fully recover?

Thanks everyone, you are all the best. Next I will be posting on how to heal a raw nose, I am going to buy the ones with lotion in them, all you can see is a big red nose coming & It does not have anything to do with leading Santas sleigh! Sammy

Old 03-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IZZY'SMOM View Post
    Ive been so sick that I forgot to call my pharmacy to order my patches, and my dear doc today called me in some extra meds for a week until I could get them.

It's it refreshing to have a great Doc? I feel very fortunate for mine!

Ex

Old 03-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy, So sorry to hear you are under the weather. I could not imagine coughing with your shoulder. It must be unbearable. I have been prescribed Tessalon perles and it is awesome for coughs. It does not make you fuzzy headed or sleepy. It is amazing that after the first dose you will see a major difference. Good luck and I pray that you will be better soon.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:10 AM   #11
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Pepper, that was really sweet of you to assure me. I am abit paranoid when it comes to meds, but it is good to know that they work well. I want you to know Pepper I think of you often, you are such a sweetheart. In fact I was thinking about you while in the surgeons office, there was the big diagram of the spine up, I guess you were one of the first I got to know on the boards & it has been such a long road for you, so I always wonder how you are doing. You have always struck me a stong women who has alot of faith & that inspires me after all you have been though. I am glad you are here for others. Sammy

Old 03-18-2008, 04:55 AM   #12
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi Sammy,

I am so sorry your not feeling well. As if you have not been through enough already!

About your good shoulder hurting...I wonder if it is from over-use??!! When I had all the problems with my left arm and all the surgeries, there were times were I was thinking that the right dominant arm was just going to give. I would get pain and all the docs said it was probably because the right arm was alwasy compensating for the left not being able to be use much. Just a thought.

I will say some prayers that the virus will pass quickly. I also have tried the Tessalon perles and they worked well for me too. It has been a long time since I was sick like that though. Drink lots of water and bump up the Vitamin C, and get some rest

Chrissy

Old 03-19-2008, 04:12 AM   #13
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

chrissy, I hope the problem is overuse, It is really bothering me, especially in the scapula area. With both of them hurting it really gets tough.
    I don't know how to avoid that, I cant simply do nothing.
    As for this virus it is a doozy. With the weather here there are so many people sick you can't avoid it. I am to call PT today & I am a little nervous. I will take Freds advice & if it makes matters worse I will call the surgeon. I can't afford to let it get out of control. I hope all goes well with you, I truely do. you deserve a break here. When it rains it pours, Hopefully we are getting all the hard stuff over with for along time to come. Take care my friend. Sammy

Closed Thread