It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• How addicting is darvocet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2008, 05:45 AM   #1
    ihavtwins
    (female)

ihavtwins HB User
    How addicting is darvocet?

I just weaned off of long term percocet. It took me a few months to do it but I did manage to get off. The last two step downs included replacing the dose with darvocet, since i had a ton of these in my medicine cabinet. Saw pain doc on Friday and he said it was a good idea. I have been taking two darvocet a day. Is my body going to now get dependant on these? He said eventually replace the darvocet with tylenol, then go to nothing.

My question is how fast should I go about this? Is it ok to stay on it for a while or should i get off these asap also??

Thanks for your input!
    Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: How addicting is darvocet?

You're at the lowest drug on the ladder now.....Try cutting them in half or even fourths in you can. Take your time and let your body tell you how fast to go. As you've learned, a slow taper is best. However, don't spend any more time than you need to as the Darvocets are technically narcotic, albeit a very low dose.

Good luck and hope things go well. You should go to the addiction board as there are some great stories / threads over there.

Ex

Old 03-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
    ARANGER
    Veteran
    (male)

ARANGER HB User

Jen,

Executor is right. The darvocet is about the lowest you can go. And if you came down from percocet, you should have little or no problem going off darvocet.

Like Executor said, darvocet is still a narcotic med so there is always the risk of dependency. But our bodies can become dependent to a lot of different meds that we take.

You may want to talk to your doctor for a final taper. Like Ex said, the addiction board has a lot of good advice on it for tapers, etc.

Good luck

Old 03-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
    shannonjord08
    (female)

shannonjord08 HB User

I took Darvacet once and would never take it again. I was given 3 per day, but only took one and went to bed. The next day, I woke up and had bad withdrawls just from one. I threw the rest of them away. I hope you don't have the same problem that I did.
    Good luck.
    Shannon

Old 03-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

I believe you felt ill, but it's not possible to withdraw from a single dose.

Withdrawal requires dependency, which requires regular consumption for at least 5-10 days. With something as impotent as darvon, it would probably take longer. Darvon can tend to make folks feel sick, however (nasty metabolites).

steve

Old 03-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I agree about going extremely slow even with the Darvocet. It is still a narcotic medication. You might want to use the Addiction board that is on Healthboards here. Do you think that you were ever addicted to any of the narcotic medications (like taking more than the doctor allowed or taking them for the "high") I was just curious since I am a recovering addict. Let us know how you are doing. Can you tell us what dose of the Darvocet you have and how you are supposed to be taking it so we might be able to tell you how to taper better.

Brian

Old 03-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
    ihavtwins
    (female)

ihavtwins HB User

Thanks for all of your responses. I am weaning per docs orders to go at my own pace to wean off pain meds. I have been on them for 2 years + and am deemed "fixed" by my surgeon. I am motivated to get off the meds as well, since they stopped having an effect and I kept having to take more. It was a miserable cycle of ups and downs.

I never took too many or enjoyed them, but found that they are so hard to come by and a lot of docs don't believe you are in pain. It makes you feel awful for asking, and I hate being at their mercy. So, I try , hardest I can to get off these things. That and I am really stubborn.

I noticed that when I got off the meds (percocet), the pain was bearable but the process of getting there is awful, I did have to endure increased pain and relax a lot more than I normally would have.

I stopped the percocet by replacing it with the darvocet I had here at home since I had a ton of it. I had been down to (2) 2.5 mg of percocet a day. I know you are laughing at the 2.5 mg, but I did request these from doc to help get me off. It did help, and then I was down to those 2, I was afraid to just quit, afraid of the horrible side effects of going off meds. I am still afraid to taper these darvocets.

Its not that I am addicted , it is more of a dependence. The med Im taking now is a 100 mg/ 650 apap. I am taking two a day, one in the am, one in the afternoon. I am actually afraid to go off completely, so I keep slowly getting there. I dont know how just to stop, too afraid which is dumb. It is my routine over the last few years.

Due to the pain, the doc had to put me on lunesta since I can not fall asleep due to the pain when I lay there at night. It is unbearable to get comfortable to sleep. My sciatic pain is awful, and the neurontin barely helps.

They have had me on so many meds, I have a cupboard full of this and that, and nothing that really helps. I have to use a pill organizer for all the stuff I have to take plus vitamins etc.

He gave me nortriptyline and told me Friday to up it to two of those per day (anti depressant) and its giving me severe cottonmouth. I think I will go back to one!

He was not real specific about what to do, he said I could play around and go off one drug or up the other to find a combination to work.

I am currently taking, nortryptiline, 100mg/day, neurontin 400 mg, darvocet 100 mg -2x per day and lunesta 2mg.

Thanks for Listening, and if you celebrate, Happy Easter!
    Jen

Old 03-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Jennifer,
    You are doing an amazing job at going off the Percocet. You are definitely not stupid or too afraid. It is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to stop taking narcotic medications even if you are only dependent on them which it sounds like you are. I would try taking 1 darvocet (1/2 in am and 1/2 in pm) for 1 week, then cut it down to 1/2 per day for a week and then STOP. Trust me, I know how severe the withdrawal symptoms can be.

I would suggest that you try Lyrica(pregabalin) for the sciataca pain. This may just work better than the Neurontin and the nortrptiline. I had the same side effect of severe dry mouth with the nortriptyline, which never went away. I stopped taking it after a couple of months. There are ALOT of non-narcotic medication that can be taken for sciataca and nerve pain. We are here for you and will provide as much support as possible. It is VERY SCARY to imagine not taking any narcotic medications any more. You might actually have to stay them. I wanted to let you know somethin else which is REBOUND PAIN which occurs when you stop taking narcotic medications. It essentially means that the pain will be worse for about 1-2 weeks after completely stopping all narcotic medications and then it should start to get better. One other medication that you might want to try if you have not tried it yet is Ultram(tramadol) which is very effective for treating nerve pain. Any other questions feel free to ask and someone will be hear for you. I am proud of you that you are trying to get off the narcotic medications. I titrated down off Oxycontin & Percocet and went completely off in a 1-2 week time period and I survived so you can do it

brian

P.S. you may need something to help with the withdrawal symptoms especially for the insomnia. I believe you said you started Lunesta. Is it helping? You might need to try Ambien or even Clondine which helps with the withdrawal symptoms. I would also suggest benadryl & melatonin. The melatonin replaces what your body is lacking due to the long period of using narcotic medications. You might also want to go to the addiction & recovery board for help. You don't need to be an addict to post there. They definitely understand stopping & withdrawal. Keep posting here and let us know how you are doing ok?

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-23-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Sounds like you have a very understanding Doc...One that really cares and is compassionate. If your supply is plentiful and you're not pressed by a dwindling supply, I'd take my time and do the following:

I'd cut one of the Darvocets in half...Either AM or PM for a couple of weeks. Probably the AM would be best to cut that way you'd get the full dose in the PM and won't affect your sleep. Then, once you feel stabilized, I'd cut the other dose in half.

Once you feel your are ready (at this point you'll be on two 1/2 tabs), I'd cut one of the two doses to 1/4s....Then the other, just like you did above. Then, cut one out, then cut the other and you'll be done!

Hope this helps.

Ex

Old 03-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Yuk! I was on darvon compound for a few months. It made me feel like crap. I got dependant on it and stopped them cold turkey. they didnt do crap, anyway, and I got to where I thought I couldnt get out of bed without one.
    Also they jacked me up and made me feel all buzzy. I think its crap medicine.
    But thats just my opinion. That was back when I had a doctor who should have been a carnival ride worker.
    xoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #11
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Jen, It is not dumb to be afraid, I would & will be the same.
    Before I had surgery on Jan-31 I went over the meds & that with my doc. & she did not feel I was mentally addicted but as anyone, physically so.
    After surgery my dose was raised & now I do feel different. I am worried for different reasons, I am still in alot of pain & the surgeon will start decreasing the dose soon. I am worried like you, I have had days where I try to put off a dose just to see if I can handle the pain & I feel really strange when I do that. I did not feel like that before surgery. I was confident I would be albe to come off the perc. fine, but I am not as sure now.
    Like you I can't wait till I don't need anything, I know that is not now, but I look forward & hope that time comes. So let me assure you I will feel the same, & I hope I am not stupid. I start new meds the same, if they can be broken safely I try it, I am fearful of meds & try to make sure they are safe, I hated being given the ones I could not break, I was afraid of taking them.
    good luck & I am glad you put this thread up. Sammy

Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #12
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just a thought here for you,since you mentioned you are just 'used to the routine'? once you 'feel" you are up to it,just try replacing the darvocet with something else,like a 325 tylenol and see if your body has any problems with that,you know what i mean? it is that routine of just "expecting to take something' that really does tend to get ingrained into our brains over time. it sounds like from what you have mentioned here that you are doing okay with just the darvocet,with very widely spaced doses so replacing the darv with even a 500 mg(only becasue your body is used to the higher 650 dose)may actually work well for you. it would be worth a try at this pint anyways. just see how that goes.

the way you are taking the darvocet right now, i really wouldn;t expect any heavy or even possibly any real WDs from it. you do go thru a good part of your day without them,you know? just try replacing your night time dose first and see how you feel in the morning.

despite the darvocet being such a low amount of narcotic,this med was the very one that started off my addiction way back when. it DID get me and once i dicovered hydro,it was all over for me. this IS still a narcotric with the very same possibility of addiction as any other. it all depends on how it makes you feel and not the actual strength of a narcotic,you know what i mean? its the actual "feeling' any drug gives you that actually starts the addiction process. when you don;t get that 'feeling' from a drug but are just used to having it everyday,that is dependance,a totally different ballgame than true addiction. you would fall into the "dependant" side not the addiction side with what you have described here.

i really don;t think,physically,that you would have much of a problem going off at this point,but everyone is different. you are just on a very low widely spaced dose amount right now,so it would be less of an impact on your brain. its just getting rid of that 'used to taking something' crap that you just need to try replacing for awhile with tylenol or advil or something non narcotic. just see how that goes. if you can do that you shouldn;t have any real issues discontinuing this all together.

if you are still dealing with certain pain issues,there are other options besides getting back onto any narcotic that are really helpful. if you need some help with that,just ask,we all have our own little 'tools' we use for PM that do not have a narcotic aspect to them.

i do wish you luck with this. i really think you can do this switch and be off these things pretty soon,its all mostly mindset at this point. just take it one step at a time. please let us know how you aredoing with this,marcia

Old 03-31-2008, 11:22 PM   #13
    Lou1
    (male)

Lou1 HB User

I will have to disagree with the majority of folks who say that darvocet is such a weak narcotic that withdrawals should be minimal. I am speaking from personal experience. I had a serious dependency to darvocet a year ago and went though a nightmare getting off of them. I was taking 6 a day, which is quite a bit more than you are on. The withdrawals were severe and lasted for more than 2 weeks. I clearly remember that, at the 13-day clean point, I went to the ER because I was such an emotional and physical wreck.
    If you read up on the internet about darvocet, you will find that it is a synthetic narcotic, very similar in chemical compound to methadone.
    I did the same as you...ie...was prescribed percocet after spinal surgery, then stepped down to darvocet.

Good luck... I think you have done great and will most likely have less trouble than I did, since your daseage is much less

Lou

Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #14
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lou1 View Post
    I clearly remember that, at the 13-day clean point, I went to the ER because I was such an emotional and physical wreck.
    If you read up on the internet about darvocet, you will find that it is a synthetic narcotic, very similar in chemical compound to methadone.
    I think that you do make a very good point Lou. Most of us do not realize that these narcotic medications do affect every aspect of of our being physically, mentally, and emotionally. Of course for an addict it is going to be MUCH, MUCH worse but everyone will have this to some degree when trying to stop taking them. You really just need to be prepared and ready to experience life without a narcotic medication and sometimes it is not easy. You might want to use the addiction & recovery board and even try out a NA(narcotics anonymous) meeting. I am not saying that you are an addict but these people know exactly where you are coming from and they can support you emotionally & mentally. Most people only look at the physical aspect of stopping but forget about the emotional/mental/psychological aspect. It is such a great thing to go to a meeting, get a hug, talk about how you are feeling, see what people did in your situation, find people that legitimately care about you and your well being. I know that it has helped me immensely. I don't want to preach NA hear but just offer it as an option. Alot of the meeting are OPEN meeting meaning that you don't have to be an addict to attend. I hope that you are able to get off of them and I realize just how difficult it is to do. Keep us posted and know that we are here for you and care about you. I just can't physically give you a hug.

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-31-2008 at 11:40 PM.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #15
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

great info brian.marcia

Closed Thread