It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• In alot of pain after swimming

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
    Round1
    Inactive
    (female)

Round1 HB User
    In alot of pain after swimming

Hi there, all along I was told swim, swim, by my physio who really didnt understand my limits and how i couldnt really go swimming as I had a child to look after and be there when he arrrived in from school, meals etc....... and the fact I cant stay up all day anyhow.

So today I had the day to myself and off I went for a swim.......... boy am I sore...... I just ache all over by body, I know it is possibly just a muscle spasm as those arms etc havent moved in awhile, but I feel I have taken 50 steps backwards. My question to you is when you go to the pool what do you do. Today I walked for a few minutes and then did about 6 lenghts of the pool (normall before back problems I used to 50 -60 lenghts 4 times a week). I cant believe how sore I am. I just want to know what exercises do you do....... do you just float for awhile, hang at the deep-end of the pool, are did I just over do it....... I am going mad as I had a reasonable good few days, after coming out of a bad 3 weeks !
    thanks round1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User
    Re: In alot of pain after swimming

Hi Round1: On the one hand, I'm sorry you are so sore and achy, but on the other hand I'm glad you are giving the pool a try. It always hurts a little right after, but like most exercise, that is normal. I think you might have overdone a little. I would say don't expect to be able to do what you could before. You have to start slow. Even if you spend most of your time floating or lightly treading water, in the first few trips to the pool. You'll find you can slowly work your way up to more vigorous activity.

The beauty of being in the water is the bouyancy, it takes the pressure off. But it can lull you into a bit of a false sense of security and make you feel like you can do more. I hope you don't give up, it can be such a good therapy. I know with your mom responsibilities, you don't have the luxury of being able to go often, but when you can get time, it would be so worth it.

Hang in there, my friend and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. God Bless, cmpgirl

Old 03-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I think you over did it. When I had water therapy, we did stretching, then we walked the length of the pool back and forth. Then we walked and lifted our knees up high, like high stepping...but THAT WAS IT! We only walked the length 6 times after warming up. you can also do some arm exercises.

IF you scale back I think you will find the pool more enjoyable.....

Old 03-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I agree you overdid it. Next time try a little less swimming, like about a tenth of what you did this time.
    Fred

Old 03-26-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
    sherry1
    Inactive
    (female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi

I was told swimming would be good for my back problem.
    They said just floating on my back an gently moving my arms and legs.
    BIG NO NO!!
    Severe spasms and pain shooting down my back making my feet and toes numb.
    I did try to swim forward but the pain was excruciating.

When i looked up about swimming and back problems on the internet they advised using a float which fits round the waist and keeps you upright in the water so u can just move the legs and arms.

I did get a belt but am dubious about going again without someone being with me.

It just goes to show that what works for one doesnt for another.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
    Round1
    Inactive
    (female)

Round1 HB User

Thanks for your replies folks, today I am not right yet, but did venture out and saw the queue for coffee and just left, I cant stand for long, but that was ever before the swimming. The only reason I did the swimming was to get the physio of my back, but had told her I'd been doing it.....

I just feel the more I move my body the worse it gets...........I really and truely am so fed up with this. I am now 10 months post fusion. I know what you are saying about the floating but I just get so cold in the water doing that and my muscles go into a spasm with the cold..... even getting out of the pool and into the changing rooms I am shivering and need to get to the hot shower fast.

I know I havent done any damage to my back, just a set back for a few days, but it is those days I cant handle................ I have my pain management appointment this week so please god he will have so meds to help with the pain and get me thru the day with a manageable level. Is that too much to ask in life?
    Round1

Old 03-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Round1: I didn't really think about the temp of the water and the air at the pool you went to. I use the YMCA pool and they keep the water and the air temp quite warm. With the myofascial pain, shivering is not a pleasant experience. I think it's one of the main reasons I don't go out as much in the winter. We get some pretty cold weather here and I just can't take the shivering. It does set everything off, so to speak.

Have you checked into the myofascial release therapy that I mentioned a while ago? In case I didn't mention it then, some RPT's (Registered Physical Therapist) do it and are good at it, but I've found in my area, a LMT (Liscensed Massage Therapist) is the better of the 2. It's a pretty specialized type of therapy and has to be done correctly in order to help, but if you find someone who really knows how, it can be a great help for the spasms.

God Bless and I am sorry you are still struggling. Please hang in there and know that I am sending you my very best thoughts always, cmpgirl

Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
    shannonjord08
    (female)

shannonjord08 HB User

cmpgirl,
    You talk about myofascial pain. I'm guessing it's TMJ. I've had TMJ for over 13 years. I went to see an orthodontist and was fitted for a mouth piece. The worst grand I've ever spent. Needless to say, I tossed it and just delt with the pain. Went to a neuurologist for awhile and was given every known pain medicine under the sun for pain, including an anti-depressant that's used for pain. Well, nothing worked and have been living with it since.
    Ever since I've been having back problems, I haven't noticed the pain in my jaw very much. I guess the back pain overpowers the jaw pain. I'm now on 2 different kinds of pain meds, Fentanyl patch and percocets for BT pain. They seem to work pretty well on keeping the jaw pain at bay and very well for my back pain. I sometimes have to take a few ibuprofen for the jaw pain, which seems to help.
    I would like to hear more of what you're going through with your jaw pain.
    Thank you.
    Shannon

Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Shannon: Chronic Myofascial Pain is many times coupled with TMJ, but is a different disease altogether. It affects the entire body. If you look in the Sub Board at the top of the page, where it says Share Your Pain Story, you'll see a better description of what it is.

Many people who have had long-term TMJ end up with some form of CMP, because TMJ is so hard to treat properly. I, personally have never had issues with TMJ. My CMP started froma trauma to my back many years ago.

I wish you well and if I can answer any other questions about CMP let me know. cmpgirl

Old 03-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Round1, how are you doing today? Are you any better? Personally, I use the pool and spa all the time but the key is that I do not swim. The couple times that I have tried to swim across the pool have seriously set me back.

What you need to purchase is one of those lumbar belts and then go into the deep end of the pool and walk in the water. I highly recommend you have a stop watch or set some type of alarm for 5 minutes max. Do this for a week. If you need to If you are using an indoor pool that has a spa, use the spa before getting into the pool to warm up those muscles, do your 10 minutes in the pool, and then go back into the spa to relax your muscles. This should take you no more than 1/2 hour. Week 2 if you are doing well, you can stretch it to 10 minutes.

A couple other things you can do in the deep end is the jumping jack movements with you legs but in slow motion. You can do the bicycle or as you become more flexible you can start pulling one leg up to the top of the water - don't bring it out of the water - then bring it back down.

Truthfully, I love the pool and spa - it is my savior. Right now my pool is closed because its winter but I use my spa year round. This past week I have used my spa at least 4 times daily.

Good luck and I hope this works out for you. Enjoy!!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #11
    Round1
    Inactive
    (female)

Round1 HB User

Hi there and thanks for the replies.

cmpgirl, I did look up myofascial release therapy and could only find one way up the country and couldnt even travel there, but you are the only one that has suggest this myofascial, so I am going to bring it up with the pain management doctor. It is only today that I feel noraml(ish) from tuesday, how are you doing and the blood pressure? and of course the pain.......

diet thank you for the exercise tips, unfortunately the pool that I joined is a small gym as it is the only one that has a walk into the pool, and no spa.
    I could have joined the others with the spa etc but again the pools had ladders to get into and the same with the spa. I was thinking of hopping into the sauna after the pool, (nearly get dressed in there !!!) but again it is the cold that sets me off leaving the sauna and into the changing rooms which are freezing ! I read your post about your hot tub and was there thinking how nice........... I could put it in the patio area, which is totally overlooked by houses !!!!!!!.

I plan to go again at the weekend and just walk in the pool and try and stay warm !!. How are you doing after your fall? has the pain of the fall died down abit? I didnt start the lexapro yet, was going to do it this week but then when I have the pain management guy I didnt want to start and he suggest something else. I just sat yesterday and cried for the life I feel I have lost, But today I got up, went out for my breakfast and said just get busy living or get busy moaning, so I did the moaning yesterday !!!!
    let me know how you are doing.
    Round1

Old 03-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shannonjord08 View Post
    I guess the back pain overpowers the jaw pain. I'm now on 2 different kinds of pain meds, Fentanyl patch and percocets for BT pain. They seem to work pretty well on keeping the jaw pain at bay and very well for my back pain.
    I think sometimes one pain does overrid or overpower the other pain as well. I think your brain tends to focus on the area of the body with the most pain or whichever area's pain signal's are getting through better. I don't know if you are aware but I have been having constant tooth/jaw pain since last November. Amazingly it has subsided since I started taking the Percocet for BT pain. Now, does this mean that it is necessarily gone, I doubt it. Do I really care at the moment as long as I am not feeling the pain in my jaw, not really. Can you tell I'm a little irritable and non-caring at the moment??
    I think that I may have TMJ or chronic myofacial pain but I really don't even want to think about it. Nope no more diseases, no more new pain, blah, blah, blah. It just starts to get overwhelming. I just wanted to let you know that it continues to be ongoing and I am following the endodontist orders of brushing 2x/day, flossing at least once/day, using hydrogen peroxide rinse, using listerine. The only thing that I really have not been keeping up with is the mouthguard. I really hate waking up with a mouth dryer than a desert.

brian

Old 03-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Round1 View Post
    I did look up myofascial release therapy
    now if someone develops life-release therapy let me know?

brian

Old 03-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #14
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

You can build a structure around your spa so that no one can see.

I am doing better, still sore, but tis to be expected. I am just thankful that nothing broke hardware wise. The sound of the pop still freaks my hubby out and you should see him --- he has almost been smothering me when he is home. Overprotective -- I guess he loves me.

Closed Thread