It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• **Is my Methadone right??**

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
    Pain2004
    (male)

Pain2004 HB User
    **Is my Methadone right??**

I had posted a thread earlier, but thought this needed a new thread because it is focused on a different area. I had my apointment today with PM doc and they switched me to Methadone. I did not read about this concern before getting script filled. After getting home, I have been reading more posts and came across something that may end up bothering me. The script was filled with the Mallinckrodt brand. Someone said this is Methadose, not Methadone and did not have good results with this brand. I think it was the Roxane brand that was recommended.

Is there any need for concern here? If so, could I go back to pharm and request changing the remaining tablets?

What do I do?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
    ARANGER
    Veteran
    (male)

ARANGER HB User
    Re: **Is my Methadone right??**

Pain2004,

There have been a lot of people that have complained about mallikrodt brand. Roxanne is the original maker of methadone but also makes their own generic.

Pharmacies generally not take scripts back. You could ask your doctor and maybe turn your script in for him to destroy if he was willing to write you another for DAW (dispense as writen).

However, everyone responds differently and the Methadose may work fine for you. I specifically ask for certain brands at the pharmacy. But some only carry a certain brand. And mallikrodt being one of largest pharmaceutical companies around, you will find their product at many pharmacies.

Good luck. And you never know. The methadose may work fine for you as well. But in the future, I would ask the doc to write for brand or as the pharmacy for Roxanne brand.

Take Care

Old 03-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Nearly all pharmacies WILL NOT TAKE BACK PRESCRIPTIONS even if you have not taken a single pill. I would start on it and see how it does. If it does not work well you can always ask the doctor for an increase and then after 1 month you could request the brand. However, you should contact the pharmacy that you got them filled at at least a week before hand and see if they carry any other brands in stock. If not, could they possibly order a different brand. We, as CP patients, need to be very aware of all concerns especially concerning certain brands. For example, I used to go to CVS to get my patches filled. They always carried the Sandoz brand. However, before giving them the script each month I would ask: Do you have enough in stock to fill it? Is it going to be the Sandoz brand? The last time I tried to get my script filled, the pharmacist said, "we are carrying the Mylan brand". I said no thanks and switched to a different pharmacy instead of dealing with the hassle of ordering them. They actually told me I would need to give them the script 1 week ahead of time for them to order the Sandoz brand. This is just an example of the hassle we have to deal with to get the medications that we want and deserve. Ok, I will get off my soapbox now.

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-25-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
    Pain2004
    (male)

Pain2004 HB User

Ok..thanks. Wish I would of known that beforehand, but maybe they will work.
    So far though, after one dose, it isn't helping any at all. Gonna give it two or three does before making a judgement on it.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

It's against federal law for pharmacies to take back meds, unless there are directions per a re-call. If they do take care any meds, the pharmacy will destroy them and eat the loss. They cannot be re-sold under any circumstances once you leave the store.

Now....Maybe.....Just maybe.....If you use an independent pharmacy and you have a great relationship with the pharmacist, he/she may take them back and destroy them and give you the different brand. However, this is technically filling two scripts and he/she would have to do some creative accounting to account for the missing meds (one script, yet two fills and one destroyed). I seriously doubt it would happen, but is possible.

Your best option is to call the Doc and ask for a new script and ask if you could bring in the old meds to his office to be destroyed. The Doc will probably tell you that they will exchange the script for the meds....Because in their files, they'll have to explain why they gave you two scripts for the same drug in one month (DEA oversight). An understanding Doc would probably help. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the next month, unfortunately. If you pick this route, you'll need to really stress how they don't work. And, of course, insurance probably won't pay so you'll need to pay "cash."

Hope this helps.

Ex

Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I agree with what everyone has said so far. I did want to add one thing. If you have NEVER taken methadone before and the first time you deal with it you are using the Malenkrodt brand, it might not be a problem at all for you. Although the Malindrodt brand (methadose) has less active ingredient in it than the Roxan brand, if your body isn't used to a higher dose, it won't know what it is missing. The problem is that once you start on the methadose you will need to stay on it unless you want to have dosing issues in the future. If you took it for a month and then switched to the Roxan brand of methadone, you would be taking in more of the active ingredient than you are accustomed to. If you switch to the Roxan brand for a few months and then switch back to the Malenkrodt brand, you most likely will have mild withdrawal symptoms because you'd be switching back to something with less medicine in it. Hope this hasn't confused you even more. Bottom line: Whatever you start with you need to stick with - going back and forth between brands will be troublesome. Good luck - Memere (K'Mac)

Old 03-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
    Pain2004
    (male)

Pain2004 HB User

All sounds like good advice. Thanks

Old 03-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

I'm the first person to promote anything other than the Mallinckrodt brand, as I started on Methadone by Roxane and then was given the Methadose, and there definitely is a difference. The brand name for Methadone is Dolophine, but Roxane's generic Methadone is just as good.

When I was given the Methadose the second time at my pharmacy I told them I wanted only the Roxane brand of Methadone. They have since been ordering only Methadone and keep it in stock for my fill. I use to give them a call a few days prior to going in for my fill, but the Head Pharmacist told me it wasn't necessary, they always keep enough on hand to take care of it. I have been getting it from the same pharmacy for five years now.

If you stay with only Methadose you would most likely by ok, but if for some reason as Kathy Mac (Memere) pointed out, you have some fills of Methadone, you will notice the inferior difference if you were to go back to the Mallinckrodt Methadose. I would ask my doc to write DAW on my script, if I were you.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Director View Post
    The brand name for Methadone is Dolophine
    don't you mean the generic name for Methadone is dolophine?

brian

Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
    grizzk62
    Veteran
    (male)

grizzk62 HB User

Ok here goes. I have heard this from alot of others about there being a difference in strength between the two. Even from pharmacist. However I'm one of those few people that have taken both quite a few times over the last 7yrs and have never noticed a difference. I do know that I'm difinately in the minority on this. Maybe because of the dose that I'm at 180mgs a day or because of the BT meds and thier dosages Oxyfast 20mgs and Dilaudid 16mgs depending on the pain I'm in, and no I don't have more pain when I'm taking the methadose brand. My pharmacy carries both brands and they fill my script with what they have on hand at the time. Sometimes being a mixture of both brands. My advice is to try the methadose first. Since you haven't taken it before you should have no problem. Just another opinion. Are you totally confused now LOL. I hope not. Never be afraid to ask for help tho.

Matt

Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

For brianpain....No, Dolophine is the brand name for Methadone. I can't give you the link to look it up, but I think you know where to go.

Closed Thread