HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Just prescribed Neurontin 300mg (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/591222-just-prescribed-neurontin-300mg.html)

WarEagle2008 03-25-2008 06:04 PM

Just prescribed Neurontin 300mg

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, so please be kind. :) I have horrible pain in my right shoulder, and have been diagnosed with just about everything from bursitis to a torn ligament. Anyway, my doctor prescribed me Neurontin, and I know NOTHING about this drug except what I read on the internet. It's used to treat epilepsy, but can be used to treat nerve pain, correct? Is it addictive, and how does it make you feel? I'm leary about it. Also, he said if it didn't work he would possibly try mepergan fortis. What is this? Thanks everybody in advance for your support and answers!

brianpain33 03-25-2008 06:44 PM

Re: Just prescribed Neurontin 300mg

wareagle:
Welcome to the painboards. I will tell you that Neurontin is used to treat nerve pain like you have already learned. I was presribed it several years ago and it did not work well for me. I am currently take Lyrica which is like the next generation of Neurontin or more like it's cousin. If your pain is not nerve pain, I highly doubt it will well at all. You are also being started out low and will be titrated up, as long as you can tolerate the side effects. I am just wondering why exactly your doctor picked neurontin especially for your conditions. Have you tried any of the prescription anti-inflammatories like Celebrex or higher doses of ibuprofen? I would think the anti-inflammatories would work better for your condition. What kind of doctor are you seeing, is it a family doctor or PM (pain management) doctor.

If the Neurontin is going to work, I doubt you will see much of an effect until you are taking 600-900mg per day. Oh, and just to let you know Neurontin is not a narcotic, not addictive at all, but can cause some dependence since some people may experience some withdrawal symptoms after taking it at high doses for a long period of time. I know this to be true becuase I was taking 3600mg/day and my doctor told me to stop taking it and I did go through some withdrawal symptoms.

I really don't know alot about the other drug you mentioned mepergan fortis except that it is a narcotic medication mixed with an anti-nausea medication. I would think your doc would try vicoden first before this. Keep us posted

brian

sherry1 03-26-2008 06:52 AM

Re: Just prescribed Neurontin 300mg

Hi

I have been on Neurontin for a year and am slowly coming off them.
When i first went on them i did have some rather weird side effects like being unable to concentrate,tiredness,disorientation....

I am coming off them now as there is no meds that will help my problem so theres no point taking them anymore.
I am sure they are not addictive but i do know you have to come off them very slowly.

Best wishes