It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Alternatives to Soma?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
    Alternatives to Soma?

I am currently taking generic Soma (carisoprodol) for muscle spasms after my surgery. I am returning to work on Friday, and I usually have to take at least one of these during the day, sometimes two. The problem is, the Soma really makes me "dopey" even after using it for a couple months. I don't want to get this side effect while I am at work. I really need to be pretty sharp while at work. Has anyone used any other muscle relaxants that have helped without the dopey feeling? I have tried Flexeril and it doesn't work for me. My insurance won't approve Skelexin (sp?). My doctor has given me diazepam in the past, but I'm not sure if he will give me a new script. Ironically, I don't get the dopey feeling from the diazepam, so even though that is more controlled than the Soma <removed>, I think it would be better for me than the Soma. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks...

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-29-2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
    kayci38
    (female)

kayci38 HB User
    Re: Alternatives to Soma?

Hi Toon,I also have bad muscles spasms and was on soma and valium then my doctor gave me zanaflex and just taking it before bed helped without taking it during the day because its strong and makes me sleepy.Maybe it would help you to take it before bed without having to take anything during the day for the spasms.Good luck finding something that works for you.

Last edited by kayci38; 03-26-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelles it wrong(zanaflex)

Old 03-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

I've probably taken them all over the last 8 years and the only 2 that actually help with my spasms are the Soma and the Flexeril. It seemed to me that the ones that don't make you as drowsey, just didn't help.

Unfortunately, because you work it's an issue for you. The zanaflex and the skelaxin were a little better for me than some of the other less drowsy formulas, but since everyone is different, you might have really good results.

Good luck and I hope you can find one that helps, cmpgirl

Old 03-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I have taken Robaxin while working and there are at least two different mg. dosages - don't know off the top of my head - I took the lessor mg. and did not have that fuzzy feeling. You might try it and see if it works. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Have you tried breaking soma in half? THere isn't a release mechanism that would be damaged like a long acting med, you would simply be takng a smaller dose, less side effects, and hopefully still get enough relief.
    Dave

Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 AM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I have tried skelaxin in the past, although it did not work for me it did not make me tired. I took small doses of diazepam to that worked at times but I know alot of doctors don't like to keep you on it. Good luck, muscle spasms can be so darn painful. Sammy

Old 03-27-2008, 07:07 AM   #7
    badoldback
    (male)

badoldback HB User

I take Zanaflex during the day now instead of Soma because it made me less sleepy. Baclophen is another possibility, although it did not work well for me.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toonces1 View Post
    than the Soma (which you can buy online w/o a script),
    Are you sure about this??? I thought is was a prescription drug

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-27-2008 at 05:22 PM.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:57 AM   #9
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I split my soma in 1/2 alot. I did not even think of that when I responded to your post. Good luck.

Closed Thread