It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Fentanyl patch - feel sick

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
    Fentanyl patch - feel sick

Hi to all of you and hope your day will be less painful!
    My PM DR changed the dose for me from 25 mcg to 50 mcg of Fentanyl patch and yesterday i put the new one first time.

I am very nauses today, i got such a horroble head ache... feel not good at all. I put it on at 8 pm last night and got head ache about 3 am. Could it get to me so fast? What shell I do at this point?
    Should i wait and see what happens? Maybe my body need time to adust or i shell report it to my PM?

What a nasty side effect, really!
    Thank you in advance for your input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
    Re: Fentanyl patch - feel sick

Yes it does sound like a reaction to the higher dose but I guess the bigger question would it be ..did it help the pain? I am sure you took off the first patch yes? Soooo I would just wait and see if nausea and headache go away. Take some Excedrin or whatever you take for headaches and see how the day goes.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Moldova...If it gets too be too much, peel the patch back a little bit. It helps.
    My doc told me to do this,, when that happened to me my first day. You can retape it or just lv it that way for the next 2 days. That is, IF you feel comfortable doing it. Certainly call your doc if its too strong, and take it off if you have to. Im sure it will mellow out for you.
    xoxoxoxo,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 03-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
    ihavtwins
    (female)

ihavtwins HB User

I got sooo sick from this patch. My doc recommended taking an anti-nausea med along with it till I got used to it, but I chose to get off it right away. I was actually throwing up with this patch. Maybe your doc will call you in an anti-nausea?

Hope you feel better!
    Jen

Old 03-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
    Round1
    Inactive
    (female)

Round1 HB User

Moldova, when I was on the patch the first dosage of the patch was fine, then it went up and I had just as you described. I found the low dosage did nothing yet the next step up had be feeling awfull and not functioning.

I spoke to my Dr. and also the chemist, they phoned the pharmaceutical company and many enquires later I was told I could cut the patch and seal it, now I know you will get loads of replies saying no, no, dont do this, I am not advising it, I would suggest like below in the post peel it back, but I was told I could half the patch.

Moldova, just sharing that with you but please seek some more advice on it as i didnt half it I just ripped the whole thing off as I was so sick, and gave them up.

Round 1

Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

When I was on the 50's my doc upped me to the 75, and i was living in "Toon Town." I hated it, and went back down 2 days later. Also be VERY careful with Phenergan with the patch. It can cause way more sedation than normal.
    I was scared to take it. And my doc gave me some homeopathic tabs. you can get them with a prescription at any pharmacy. Its called: hyosctamine tabs.
    xoxoxo,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 03-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Round1 View Post
    I was told I could cut the patch and seal it, now I know you will get loads of replies saying no, no, dont do this, I am not advising it, I would suggest like below in the post peel it back,
    NEVER EVER EVER CUT THE PATCH. This can release a HUGE amount of fentanyl which could cause overdose and even death. Please do not ever do this. I am sure you might remember my story about when I went up the 50mcg patch from 25mcg and got DEATHLY ILL. Obviously I did not die but I felt like it. Remember that the 25mcg patch is equal to about 9 (5/500 Percocets) so essentially you went from taking 9 Percocets to 18 Percocet in a short matter of time so you can see how this can effect you. Alot of people think I just went up from 25 to 50 and it is not that big of a thing but it really is a big thing consider you DOUBLED THE DOSE. I awoke on the 3rd day after doubling the dose (to 50mcg) and was severly nauseated, dizzy, lightheaded, severly sedated and then throwing up uncontrollably. If you get to this point and can hardly stay awake, rip the patch off IMMEDIATLY and have someone call your doctor and possibly even go to Urgent Care. Fentanyl is very, very strong and it can cause very severe symptoms.

I had to weigh all of my options and decided to not take 50mcg but to only take 37mcg by adding a (25mcg & 12mcg) which I did much better on. I was seriously thinking about stopping it for good but I did get some pain control on the 25mcg and knew I might do better by just adding a 12mcg. I would seriously consider this if you can't tolerate the side effects of the 50mcg.

You can take Motion Sickness medication like dramamine OTC or any other OTC nausea medication. Of course you could call your doctor and ask for a presciption anti-nausea medication. I just like to try OTC meds before I go through the hassle of calling the doctor and getting him to call in a RX. Please keep us posted. Just know that I was in a very similar situation. I also had to endure 3 weeks of adjusting to the higher dose (37mcg).

brian

p.s. just to let you know after 1 month on the 37mcg dose I did go back up to the 50mcg dose and was able to tolerate it. Trust me, I was scared to death to go back up to the 50cmg dose but that is what I am currently on. As an anology think of it like drinking 5 beers where you might tolerate it and do alright but if you dran 10 beers in one night you probably would get very sick until your body gets used to it

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-27-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Moldova. The two times I tried the patch I threw up on the third day. The first time it happened the doctor said to try it again. So I did and the same thing happened. Nobody told me that it would probably go away if I just left the stupid thing on.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

[QUOTE=IZZY'SMOM;3505222]Also be VERY careful with Phenergan with the patch. It can cause way more sedation than normal[./QUOTE]

That is correct Izzy's mom. Heck, phenergan caused me alot of drowsiness before I was even on the patch. That is why I would highly recommend the non-drowsy OTC motion sickness medication (similar to dramamine) but it is actually something else, just can't remember off the top of my head

Old 03-29-2008, 05:42 AM   #10
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Thank you all for your responds, means a lot for me.

This was not a case just sick, this was severely sick. My PM Dr called 911 for Car and in 10 minutes I was on a way to the Hospital. First time in my life i had seizures and so many severe symptoms.
    I was told I never -ever be able to try Fentanyl again.
    I was literally between life and death. If a DR in a Hospital was not a family friend I probably still be there. But he took responsibilites watching me at home and I was able to sign papers and leave next day.
    I hate the idea to stay there for the weekend, Drs are not there anyway.

I am still very sick; not as the first 2 days, but very sick. I never had such symptoms and such hight severity. I couldn't talk or open my eyes, i was in and out, did not respond to their questions not knowing this. My husband and son were there and cried that is how scared they were.
    I went through a lot in my life, but my family never saw me this way.

Every Dr I talked to when I got sick - first thing: take patch immideately off and take a shower. We release meds through our pores and it's a good idea to take a shower. They put me on IV fluids, charcoal IV, PK IVa and some kind of med which suppose to clean the blood asap.

This is my experience with this patch. I guess my body did not "like it".
    What is good for some people, obviously wasn't good for me. I do feel bad; each time i go to see my DR, pay for app., I get hope "O, this one may help my pain" and here you are at square one again.
    Since I am on strong PK for 4 years already, and my Arachnoidities condition due to spinal fusions and treatments (it gets progressively worse) vefy hard to find something which can help with pain. And here you are - another failier with Fentanyl this time.

Best wishes to all of you and thank you again.

Closed Thread