It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• I got placed on a "pain med HOLIDAY"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #61
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: I got placed on a "pain med HOLIDAY"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbreeze27 View Post
    I went to my PCP and he said NO right away, I begged and cried for him to reconsider. . . He wouldn't budge. I walked out, got my medicine from the pharmacy. . . and before leaving the building. . . I thought, I am going to complain about how I am being treated to the facility manager. . . I met with this very nice women. . . who actually cared about my situation. . . My Mom ended up calling me and I handed the phone over to this women and they spoke for a while. . within four hours. . my dose was bumped up to 20mg every 12 hours. . . I can't give out too much information. But I am soooooo happy. I will soon be able to move off the couch once again and be with my friends. . . Not dread going to work because of the pain all day. Oh, I do have an appointment with a pain doctor, but he is not able to get me in until June 27
    I must be dumb, but I don't get it....How could your script get doubled when the Doc said NO. Also, why would you complain to someone at the pharmacy...They didn't do anything except fill the script.

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #62
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Ex: This was how I understood it. I believe Tony belongs to a staff model type HMO, where all the providers and even the pharmacy are under one roof.I think when he left the doc's office, he went to the pharmacy to fill the Cymbalta. While in the pharmacy, he noticed there was a Patient Rep type of person there in the building, so he went to see her and told her of his ordeal with the doc.While he was with the Patient Rep, his mother called him on his cell and she ended up speaking to the Rep as well.* At this point, it looks like the Rep got involved, and the doc was convinced to write the script for the 20mg. oxy, at least until Tony can get in to see the PM.I hope this is right. If not, Tony, please correct me.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #63
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Thanks Cmpgirl...I have NO idea how these HMOs work....Never been to one, know nothing about them....What you say makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

Ex

Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #64
    tbreeze27
    (male)

tbreeze27 HB User

You are correct All the doctors have their own room and the pharmacy is within the building as well. After my doctor ordered my medication. . . I walked over to the pharmacy to pick it up. . . . After picking up the medication. . . I thought.. . . I need to talk to the clinic manager before I leave because I was super upset. . .I spoke with her. . . During our conversation my cell phone rang. . . It was my Mother. . . They spoke for a while. . . I soon left after the women said she would look into my situation . ..Within four hours. . . my prescription was bumped up.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #65
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbreeze27 View Post
    I need to talk to the clinic manager before I leave because I was super upset. . .I spoke with her. . . During our conversation my cell phone rang. . . It was my Mother. . . They spoke for a while. . . I soon left after the women said she would look into my situation . ..Within four hours. . . my prescription was bumped up.
    I must say that I am very impressed....Either your mom did one heck of a sales job, the clinic manager has some high wielding power....Or both! I guess I've always thought the Doc was THE decision maker. I don't think I've ever heard of a story where someone's meds where changed AFTER they left and WITHOUT talking to the patient. Are you sure it wasn't a pharmacy mistake? Could happen, you know.

Regardless, I'm very happy you got your pain resolved. I hope the PM clinic will be a big step in the right direction...You won't have to deal with this quack anymore.

Ex

Old 04-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #66
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I have a similiar HMO set up and suspect we may even have the same one. Whenever you complain, they respond quickly. If you make a valid complaint, it is acted on quickly.

I am so glad that you got the response you deserve and pray that this gives you some relief.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #67
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Truly an amazing story...One for the better....For a change! Too often, we hear of things going the other way. I have ZERO experience with HMOs, so this is all virgin territory for me. Thanks for sharing....I learned something!

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 04-25-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #68
    JR44
    Inactive
    (male)

JR44 HB User

IMHO nothing good can come of an ER visit.

You will have notes made about you, an overzealous ER Dr. will feel his oats and call your Dr (and get right through where you have to wait) The meds they gave to you probably didn't help so not only are you not getting what you need, but you left there with negative notes about you.

If you do need to go the ER again, try recording the interaction on your phone. (make sure your state is a one party recording state) and keep that recording. Then if you need to file a complaint against the Dr. or more importantly bring it up to the hospital board (they really don't like that) then there you have the entire incident on your phone ready to be played back.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #69
    Madison104
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

OMG, I just came across this thread and my jaw is still on the floor. Honest to GOD what is wrong with this world that we live in. Why cannot a patient's voice be heard. This is just the most tragic story I have read...or at least darn close to the worse one. I am going to kiss my doctor when I see him next time. Surely he will ask what for (on the cheek) and seeing I have known him for over 30 years, I will just say "for ALWAYS treating me like a human being!

It really makes me appreciate my doctor...even MORE. There were times through-out my treatment that I had to go UP on my meds. I would ASK and get what I needed. Then later when I felt better, I even took myself off oxy. I am in chronic pain all of the time now unfortunately....but my doctor listens intently to what I say.

Sometimes STILL, I want to come off my meds and see how I "may" feel....as my doctor is going to retire soon......

Anyway...this is about you Tony and all I can say is GOD BLESS YOUR HEART!!

Madison

Old 05-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #70
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I live in Australia, where we have 2 paralell drug enforcement agencies - the dangerous drugs branch of the health department, that looks after medicaly prescribed narcotics (and has to issue permits for prolonged treatment of narcotics) but is staffed by doctors and pharmacists, and is patient oriented, and police drug squads that police illigal drugs.

The idea of having a police force (The DEA) involved in medical treatment seems amazingly wrong to me.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #71
    Madison104
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

I agree john. Whatever happened to the privacy OF and the personal relationship between patient and doctor? I just don't understand some laws. Naturally we need to protect people from drug dealers and the problems associated with addiction...BUT to enmesh THAT with legitimate pain treatment is just wrong to me too....

Old 05-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #72
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Dont get me wrong, it isnt a free for all in Australia - the health department does keep a close eye on narcotic prescribing, and if a doctor wants to treat a patient with morphine type drugs long term, he has to notify the health department. BUT the monitoring is done by doctors and pharmacists, and if they think a particular doctor is over prescribing, he will be visited by a doctor or pharmacist from the dangerous drugs branch, who will help him to change his ways, educate him on propper prescribing of these druhs. As a last resort, a doctor can be banned from prescribing narcotics.

The police play no part in any of this - they only deal with street drugs and dealers.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #73
    mikey1979
    (male)

mikey1979 HB User

I am new to the forum but I just got through reading this whole thread and was curious as to what ever became of the original poster?

Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 AM   #74
    guy484
    (male)

guy484 HB Userguy484 HB User

It is impossible for someone to be "addicted" to the new Oxycontin.

The new formula has a waxy substance over the medicine and the body no longer absorbs the narcotics. The majority of it now passes thru the body and is not metabolized.

Oxycontin is a dead drug. It should be removed from the market. There is a law here banning placebo narcotics. A group of us are thinking of using that law against Purdue Pharma's new Oxycontin formula to get it removed from our market.

It's now a placebo. Doctors and Pharmacists know it. The FDA knows it. The Federal Government forced it's formula to be changed and I'd like to see the clinical trial paperwork that was supposed to be done on the new Oxycontin formulation prior to it being put on the market.

I bet there is NONE. Maybe a lawsuit will bring out the truth.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #75
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

i think you may be right. since they changed the formula i started to experience zero pain relief but severe anxiety. i was prescribed 3 60 mg oxycontin and it was really helping me-until they changed the formula-but i continued to take it anyway, i finally decide it had to be the oxycontin because these anxiety symptoms got worse and worse as long as i kept taking the oxycontin and iw as miserable in pain-like i was taking nothing-i began to rely on my bbt med 15 mg roxycodone-finally i toold my pm dr yesterday and he said purdue is not saying exactly what they did to the new oxycontin and changed me to opana 40 2 a day-and already i am doig much much better-pain is decreased significantly and i only just took my 3rd dose of it; 2 yesterday and 1 this am

Closed Thread