It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• I got placed on a "pain med HOLIDAY"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #76
    vlaud
    (female)

vlaud HB User
    Re: I got placed on a "pain med HOLIDAY"

Ialso tried the generic oxycontin with no pain relief after thy changed the tab it was not the same. I am now taking the non- generic formual and find that it works completely different.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #77
    guy484
    (male)

guy484 HB Userguy484 HB User

It was September 2010 when I went in and picked up my monthly narcotic from my doc. The pill wasn't doing anything for me and after a couple of days of grueling pain/hips red hot/inability to sleep I went back and told them the pill isn't working anymore.

They probably thought I was nutz, in their minds I was on NARCOTICS. They sent me away. I went to the Emergency Room and they put me on MS Contin. That drug made me worse, it constricts your blood flow and my tinker felt like it was going to fall off it hurt so bad! I went to a private doctor and it was actually a local pharmacy that knew about Oxycontin no longer working due to the formula change. So the private doctor put me on something else. Vicodin and some other drugs. It's all I can get now.

There's no other drug since the Federal Government forced Purdue Pharma to change Oxycontin. Vicodin doesn't do much for me. I wish there was an alternative to Oxycontin.

[DELETED]

Supposedly Oxycontin was changed because "4 million Americans were illegally getting it and chopping it up and snorting it". Why didn't they go after those 4 million people illegally getting it? Why did they have to punish the people needing pain relief?!!!!!!

Last edited by Mo-S4; 07-31-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment removed.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #78
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

There are plenty of alternatives to oxycontin..... MS Contin, Opana, methadone, levolorphanol, the new ER Hydromorphone pills, the fentanyl patch

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #79
    havefaithinyou
    (female)

havefaithinyou HB User

Hi Jonnstar - may I ask you or our fellow members a medication question? Long story short, I have Fibromyalgia & a bone spur pressing on a nerve in my lower back. As well as severe arthritis in my lower back. I don't understand why arthritis in my back would hurt so terribly bad. Anyway, my pm dr had me on ms contin 15 mg twice a day. I tried that for two weeks, to no avail.

Then he changed it to 30 mg three times a day. He stated that if this is not helping that he may switch me to methadone (if I spelled that right) or the Fentanyl patch.

Can you tell me why dr's would so easily jump to methadone? I also have an emg & a lumbar fusion coming up. But I wondered about y'alls opinion on the possible med change.

Thanks and I would like to wish everybody a blessed and pain free weekend.

Last edited by havefaithinyou; 03-13-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #80
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

People hear the word "methadone" and they get instantly worried and scared because of it's conotation with Drug abuse clinics and the fact that it's used as an anti-abuse drug. In all truth Methadone has been used as a pain medication for a very long time, and it is very effective. Just because it is used for other things doesn't mean that anything bad is going to happen, or you're dr. things you're a drug addict. If you look through history many meds that are created and marketed for one thing are used to control various conditions.

So, try not to worry, this is a pretty common med used for pain mangement.

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
    havefaithinyou (03-14-2011)
    Closed Thread