It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• DMSO side effects-Please Help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
    gnolefan
    (male)

gnolefan HB User
    DMSO side effects-Please Help!!

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has encountered any problems with side effects from DMSO. My girlfriend and I live in a studio apartment and I use DMSO mixed with wintergreen 3 times a day to help alleviate my chronic back pain. My girlfriend complains that when she sleeps next to me at night she wakes up with chest pain, sore throat, and bloodshot eyes. She thinks it has to do with the dimethyl sulfide (garlicky oyster odor) that is given off when I'm breathing. Has anyone else's loved ones complained about not feeling well when the other person has applied DMSO? please advise. thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
    Re: DMSO side effects-Please Help!!

Sorry if this is lame, but what is DMSO?

Last edited by Toonces1; 04-02-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
    gnolefan
    (male)

gnolefan HB User

Dimethyl sulfoxide, it is used to treat pain

Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

well after doing a little research I found out that DMSO is dimethyl sulfoxide and has a distinctive property of penetrating the skin very easily and it's tast has been described as oyster, garlic, or onion-like. mmmmmm tasty

In the medical field DMSO is used as a topical analgesic, as an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant. It has been examined for the treatment of numerous conditions and ailments. The Food and Drug Administration has approved DMSO usage only for the palliative treatment of interstitial cystitis.

Now to answer your question I can definitely see why your girlfriend would wake up with her eyes burning and red and smelling an onion or garlic like smell. Well, either you might have to give this up or your girlfriend might have to wear a mask. I doubt either solution is very good. But, you definitely could emit a onion like smell with this stuff. I have never heard of it until now. Where do you buy this stuff anyway? Was it recommended by a regular PM doc?

brian

p.s. I know that I would not feel well either if I was breathing garlic or onion like smell at night. I can't stand onions and have always disliked them since I was a kid. Sorry to give you too many details.

Last edited by brianpain33; 04-02-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
    jodom1979
    Inactive
    (male)

jodom1979 HB User

I was given DMSO at the beginning of my DX for RSD. That stuff made my breath smell like potatoes. It really didnt do much if anything for me so it was quickly thrown to the way side.

Closed Thread