It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• suboxone possible side effect

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
    voneiger
    (female)

voneiger HB User
    suboxone possible side effect

I have been put on suboxone for about 1 1/2 months now. I suffer with chronic back pain due to accident 2001. I was tired of using pain meds and dealing with all the side effects. Since I have been on suboxone I have been waking in the middle of night with severe arm and hand pain, with numbness. It is so severe that it brings me to tears. Has anyone experinced this? I believe it might be due to the medication since it began only after starting it.

Last edited by voneiger; 04-06-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Re: suboxone possible side effect

voneiger,
    I don't have any experience taking Suboxone but from the list of most common side effects here is what I can tell you.

The most common side effects are: headache, pain, pain(abdomen), pain(back), withdrawal syndrome, nausea, insomnia and sweating. The more that I read up on this medication, the less and less that I even EVER want to try it. My counselor(psychologist) suggested that I go on Suboxone even though I told her that I have NEVER abused my pain medications, even though I have a history of addiction to another "street drug".

Was there any type of addiction problem for you or was it something that you just wanted to try since you had tried all the other pain meds with no relief? I guess it could be related to your back problems possibly if it involved your spine. I would definitely tell your doctor this and hopefully they could come up with some other kind of treatment. Can you let us know a little bit more about your pain history and history with other pain meds. We could maybe suggest something else if we knew a little more information. Also, can you describe the pain you are having, is it like "electric bolt or jolt" type feelings or is it throbbing & aching in the bone/muscle. Sometimes describing the pain better would help with more suggestions. But, please contact your doctor ASAP and let him/her know that this started just after starting the Suboxone.

brian

Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Brian,

The Suboxone may not be as bad as what you are reading. If you recall, I wrote once before of having to detox after the defective patch episode? For pain I was given Suboxone, and it worked very well at first. But this med has a ceiling, and if your pain exceeds the med's ceiling, then you need something else. But even before that happened I had a bad experience with this doc. The only kind of docs around here that will detox you are addictionologists, even if you are not an addict. Anyway, this guy gets me on Suboxone then drops me like a rock. I called in for a refill and his front desk tells me he's dropping me as a patient and will not Rx any more meds. Period. I broke no contract or did anything wrong, he just didn't have room for anyone new in his practice. So he got me dependent on the Suboxone and then let me go. Withdrawals all over again. What a world-class jerk. So I returned to my PM doc from before and we started the methadone.

Bottom Line - the Suboxone was a very good med for a time. For those whose pain levels are not up around 8-9 I think Suboxone is great.

steve

Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

One other negative is what's called dysphoria.

Whereas most full agonist opioids are capable of causing euphoria, or a calming effect in those tolerant to the euphoria, Suboxone can cause mild to severe dysphoria - the opposite of euphoria. If one is sensitive to this then it's a showstopper.

And you are correct, there is a full-blown withdrawal when stopping chronic Suboxone use cold turkey.

I am so glad now to be back with my original PM doc, with my Gp doing the prescribing. At least I know with them I won't get dropped like with the addictionologist. What a joke that was Brian. This guy was supposed to know what he was doing. Heck, he treats addicts on a daily basis. If he treated his addicted patients this way word would get out on the street and no one would consider recovering. They could get better treatment from pushers than this guy.

steve

Old 04-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

dakota:
    please talk to your doctor. you may need to go back on to the suboxone & stay on it. Or maybe titrate down more slowly, or even take something for the withdrawal symptoms (I have heard clonidine is good for this). keep us posted ok and hang in there. I know exactly how you feel

brian

Closed Thread