It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Nerve Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
    gorgee
    Inactive
    (female)

gorgee HB User
    Nerve Pain

Hi all, I think why I am so confused, and I thank you all for helping throughout the last couple of months, is that my doctor told me that my pain, being muscles, joints, and bones, is nerve pain. As I have been on o.c. the tmj pain has been much better maybe at a 2-3 on the pain scale, but most days my body pain is anywhere between 5-8. I went to the doctor one day in so much pain, and I was not sure how I was going to make it there and he mentioned that being nerve pain. I was on oxycontin LA for my tmj that started in September, then it went in my neck and shoulders , and then my hands and feet, then muscles, joints, and bones. I was diagnosed with chronic migraines (I have had these my whole life and they got worse this summer 3-5 a week), tmj, chronic myofascial pain syndrome, and fibromyalgia. I am now on lyrica 150 mg 2x daily. I think it is now helping, and I am so hopinh. I can not stand on my feet longer than a hour.

Right now, I am frustrated with my pain, as I walked at the mall with my boys, and I had to leave due to the pain in my feet. I am only 31, and the other day I had to use the cart as a crutch because my feet were in so much pain.

Is the nerve pain from fibro, or myofacsial pain syndrome? I never was able to get the jaw fixed because my insurance denied the surgeries 4 times. My jaw is very out of place because of my tmj, and insurance does not cover it. It is still there and in the morning I feel it. I have a strong feeling that when I requested my dentist and doctor to please write letters to the insurance company telling them what they tell me, like your jaw is the worst we have ever seen, or you have a medical problem that needs a surgical solution, that they never did it. i have 2 surgeons, one in Boston, and the other in Portland ME, who are ready to do the surgeries. My insurance company never told me that they recieved the letters, and my formal appeal ( the 3rd) on the phone with the board was denied. I had so many health problems come on after the tmj flare up, and I still have it. I just don't know what to do? My doctor feels my nerve pain has taken over most of my pain, and narcotics do not treat nerve pain well. Is that true? Is the pain in my feet, and my fingers nerve pain?

I truly am so thankful for your help. I respect you all and thank you for your time.

Kassandra

Last edited by gorgee; 04-06-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User
    Re: Controlled Release Vicoden submitted to FDA

Kass, have you tried amitriptyline or nortiptyline for your nerve pain?

Old 04-07-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Re: Nerve Pain

Kass,
    I have been told over and over and over again that "NERVE PAIN IS THE MOST DIFFICULT PAIN TO TREAT AND DOES NOT RESPOND WELL/IF AT ALL TO NARCOTIC PAIN MEDS". I can't even begin to tell you how much of a struggle it has been with me concerning my nerve pain in my feet. I definitely know what you mean about leaning against the cart because of the severe pain in the feet. I only just turned 34 and I have had this same pain since I was 29. I can't even truly explain how frustrating and pi**ed off I get because of the pain, especially since it was never treated very well, until I went on the fentanyl patch. That is when I finally started getting some relief along with the Lyrica, Trileptal, and Percocet. Now, I know you have probably seen me whip out my infamous list of meds used to treat nerve pain so I will re-iterate for you: (BOLD ONES ARE MOST COMMON ONES USED)

Anticonvulsants - Topomax, Tegretol, Trileptal, Depakote, Lamictal, Dilantin, Depakene, Neurontin, Lyrica, Gabitril, Klonopin(even though it's technically a benzodiazepine)

Tricyclic Antidepressants - Elavil(amitryptiline), Pamelor(nortriptyline), desipramine, imipramine, doxepin(Sinequan), trimipramine, clomipramine

**very good at treating nerve pain & helpful with sleep so usually prescribed at night**

SNRI Antidepressants - Cymbalta, Effexor, Wellbutrin

**very effective for nerve pain & also depression that usually accompanies chronic pain, many people on these boards have success with Cymbalta**

Atypical Antidepressants- Trazadone, Ultram(tramadol),
    Ultracet, Ultram ER

**good at treating nerve pain, tramadol also has a mild opiod quality to it so IT IS A MILD NARCOTIC**

SSRI Antidepressants- Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Luvox

Opiod/Opiates- hydrocodone(Vicodin, Lortab, Norco), oxycodone(Percocet, Oxycontin, Oxy IR), hydromorphone(Dilaudid), oxymorphone(Opana), methadone, fentanyl(patch, Actiq), morphine(MS Contin, Avinza, Kadian)

**can be useful for certain types of pain especially when used in combination with other non-narcotic meds**

I hope that you will really PRINT THIS OUT and take it to your doctor and ask for his/her suggestions. I really, really know the frustration and pain that you are enduring, especially being so young. I never even knew anything about these meds 5 years ago, I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. Unfortunately, I really needed to take a PROACTIVE role in my care when the pain was just not letting up and I just HAD TO KNOW every single possible medication available to treat it and I was willing to go one by one until I found something that helped. If you would like to know the ones that I have tried here goes:

Topomax, Tegretol, Lamictal, Neurontin, Lyrica, nortryptilene, Cymbalta, Effexor, Welbutrin, Ultram, Vicoden, Lortab, Percocet, Oxycontin, fentanyl patch, Trileptal, Gabitril, Klonopin, a couple others but I can't remember at the moment(that's the other joy of these meds). hope this helps. USE IT.

brian

p.s. Don't think that just because you might have nerve pain that it would not help to be on a "nerve" medication along with a "narcotic" medication since some of your pain may be non-nerve pain.

Last edited by brianpain33; 04-07-2008 at 12:52 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpain33 For This Useful Post:
    keithnorfeet (12-08-2011)
    Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Cassandra,
    first of all - I am very sorry you are suffering like this. I just hope they will be able to help you.
    To diagnose if your pain is a nerve pain you have to see Neurologist. A really GOOD Neurologist only can tell you where the pain is coming from. Did they ever performed EMG test on you? They have some others in their arcenals and they also familiar with certain types of pain, so no matter what I or other people on this board share with you, we are not a DR to be able to say for sure what is your particular problem.

I have a lot of nerve damages since my first lumbar fusion. It was confirmed with CT, MRI, Myelogram and EMG tests. I have an excellent Neurologist Dr who really digs in to get to the root of the problem.
    Nerve pain is a very devastating pain, but a lot of us here have this problem and because of large varieties of meds we get some relieve.
    Usually meds for nerve pain are anti-seizures medications. Like Lurica, Neurontin, Keppra, etc. It's really a good meds to be on if your body can tolerate without any side effects. Helps nerve pain tremendously.
    Please, speak to your Neurologist about this problem or to your PM Dr. Both of them (I am sure) will be able to work to get your pain under control.
    No reason to suffer if it can be helpled.
    Hope this will help you a bit.

Best of luck. Take care!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
    TexMom85
    Veteran
    (female)

TexMom85 HB User

Cassandra,

I have a pretty bad case of Fibromyalgia, which causes an all-over body ache that is severe in nature. It's similar to when you are getting the flu, and your body aches really badly. This is worse, and for me, it's all over, especially in my joints.

I also have nerve pain. I have something floating near a disk in my neck, and the resulting pain is in my upper right arm, on the bottom side, and when it hurts, it's like a burning hot knife being stabbed into my arm.

I also have tendonitis in my arm, which hurts in the forearm and makes it hard to grip or lift anything.

I also have degnerative disk disease in my lower back. Sometimes the back goes into spasms, and I am unable to walk or much of anything else when it happens. I also get sciatica, when the pain from the disks pressing on a nerve travels down my leg.

For the Fibro pain, I am taking Celebrex, Flexeril and Tylenol. Some days it doesn't even make a dent in my achy pain. For the nerve pain, I am taking Lyrica. It has made a huge difference in my nerve pain but I have experienced rapid weight gain and swelling, and seem to be much stiffer since taking it the last 3 months.

For my back, I take Flexeril and for BT pain I take Vicodin.

So, my question to you is, what kind of pain do you think you are suffering from in your hands and feet? My nerve pain is extremely sharp, unbearable to tolerate at its full level. My fibro pain is a strong ache, extremely uncomfortable, but responds somewhat to heat and rest, at least to a point where I can stop screaming and resort to a low level of moaning. The back spasms also respond to medication but are excruciating if I am in the wrong position.

As Brian said in his post below, nerve pain is the hardest to treat because most medications are not designed for it. With the conditions you have, it might be difficult to figure out which one is causing the pain. With my experience with nerve pain, it is not constant, but I would have frequent episodes (maybe 25-30 a day) which would knock me to my knees and leave me in tears until they passed (usually within 2 minutes). My fibro pain is deeper, encompassing my whole body and leaves me miserable, and once it starts, it is hard to stop. It usually is worse after I have been very active physically (or eaten a lot of sugar that day). My tendonitis hurts usually only when I try to use my arm to grip something or pick up something heavy, and I am having physical therapy starting today to work on it. It is the only ailment I have that is basically self-inflicted (I've been trying to paint, bad idea!)

Take notes on what pain you're experiencing at what time of day, after activity, etc., to help determine if the pain is nerve-related or fibro-related. FYI, my nerve pain does not come and go based on activity. It seems entirely random. I don't know if that's the case with everyone else's nerve pain. When my lower back acts up, it is usually due to something I've done, like turn wrong or do too much lifting, etc. My arm's nerve pain has never been re-creatable on command, it just comes at random times and doesn't seem to have any correlation to activity I have performed or positions I have sat/stood in.

Hope you can figure it out so you can get the right medication and get yourself on the road to relief!

Hang in there, sweetie, and let us know how you're doing!
    TexMom

Closed Thread