It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Fentanyl patch questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #31
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Re: Fentanyl patch questions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPTN3 View Post
    . I still suffer significantly, and I feel my PM doc doesn't take me seriously. I have frequent episodes of breakthrough pain. I have AIDS and my pain is mostly neuropathic. My hands hurt so badly I just want to cut them off, WPTN3
    WPTN3:
    Welcome to the boards and let me say that if your pain is mostly neuropathic in nature then the fentanyl may be of little use. Opiods/Opiates sometimes do little for neuropathic pain. Your PM doc really should be trying you on meds that usually do work specifically for neuropathic pain. The most common ones are Neurontin, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Ultram, and Topomax. Here is a complete list of meds designed for neuropathic pain. I will bold the most common ones

Anticonvulsants - Topomax, Tegretol, Trileptal, Depakote, Lamictal, Dilantin, Depakene, Neurontin, Lyrica, Gabitril, Klonopin(even though it's technically a benzodiazepine)

Tricyclic Antidepressants - Elavil(amitryptiline), Pamelor(nortriptyline), desipramine, imipramine, doxepin(Sinequan), trimipramine, clomipramine

**very good at treating nerve pain & helpful with sleep so usually prescribed at night**

SNRI Antidepressants - Cymbalta, Effexor, Wellbutrin

**very effective for nerve pain & also depression that usually accompanies chronic pain, many people on these boards have success with Cymbalta**

Atypical Antidepressants- Trazadone, Ultram(tramadol),
    Ultracet, Ultram ER

**good at treating nerve pain, tramadol also has a mild opiod quality to it so IT IS A MILD NARCOTIC**

SSRI Antidepressants- Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Luvox

Opiod/Opiates- hydrocodone(Vicodin, Lortab, Norco), oxycodone(Percocet, Oxycontin, Oxy IR), hydromorphone(Dilaudid), oxymorphone(Opana), methadone, fentanyl(patch, Actiq), morphine(MS Contin, Avinza, Kadian)
    **can be useful for certain types of pain especially when used in combination with other non-narcotic meds**

Trust me I have been there where I really just wanted to chop my feet off. But now I am on the right set of meds, which is different for everyone. Here is what I currently take to give you an idea: Lyrica, Percocet, fentanyl patch, Trileptal. Keep posting and let us know if you find some relief.

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #32
    cweinbl
    (male)

cweinbl HB User

Keep shopping! Don't stop until you receive the treatment you deserve.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPTN3 View Post
    Hello everyone, it is a relief to find people that I can connect and relate to. Everyone in my current world has no idea what I'm going through. I am on 75mcg of fentanyl every 48hrs. I still suffer significantly, and I feel my PM doc doesn't take me seriously. I have frequent episodes of breakthrough pain. I have AIDS and my pain is mostly neuropathic. My hands hurt so badly I just want to cut them off, now my toes are starting to act how my fingers did before they got so badly. I'm only 27 and when I asked my PM doc for Breakthrough meds he told me that he was concerned about me, and that in 5 years we would have run the gammet of opiates and have run out of options, therefore he wants me to be evaluated by another pain doc who is also a psychiatrist. I don't understand if there is a stigma with the AIDS, or if the pain is considered "insignificant" compared to those with sickle cell, lupus, cancer, or other serious illnesses. But it is significant to me. I just want to someone to be considerate and take me seriously. I'm not drug seeking, but maybe that's it, maybe that's where the stigma is associated, I don't know. Can someone out there help me or give me some advice. I read you guys, and it sounds like your pain is being managed. I feel that my friends and family don't always take me seriously either, that they don't understand. I hope this new doc doesn't try to tell me it's all in my head. I just want some relief.

Sincerely,
    WPTN3

Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #33
    QUAYZAR
    (male)

QUAYZAR HB User

I had a simular problem. My doc prescribed provigil. It is normally an antinarclepsy med but it has secondary uses. Works for me. I need to mention I am not on fentanyl but 120mg morphine a day.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #34
    QUAYZAR
    (male)

QUAYZAR HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by QUAYZAR View Post
    I had a simular problem. My doc prescribed provigil. It is normally an antinarclepsy med but it has secondary uses. Works for me. I need to mention I am not on fentanyl but 120mg morphine a day.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #35
    LORDSETH65
    (male)

LORDSETH65 HB User

I have been on Fentanyl for 8 years. I currently wear 2 patches at a time. I use 1: 100mcg plus 1 25mcg patch. My dr. has them prescribed for me every 2 days instead of 3 days (72hrs) because they are hard to keep on after showering, sweating etc. I also us a bit of tape around the edges. Tagaderm is the best to hold them in place but they are expensive and I find that regular medical tape works well. I broke my back 10 years ago and I have tried every pain medicine there is out there. Fentanyl works the best plus it has no acetaminophen like most pain pills. Fentanyl is actually a man made synthetic Opiate that is between 80-100 times stronger than morphine. if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. Thanks SETH

Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #36
    LORDSETH65
    (male)

LORDSETH65 HB User

Another thing to consider with the fentanyl Patch is the brand name. I have tried all 3 "different" types the "Foil" metallic backed ones. the "gel" filled ones and the ones from Mylan which is a clear patch but no "gel" resevoir. I definatley like the ones from Mylan the best by far. no chance of burns from the foil. no chance of leaks from the gel "pouch". the Mylans are by far the most reliable. I make it a point if I have to go to a new Pharmacy to ask what kind they prescribe before I ask them to fill it. I have used the Mylan brand for the past 7 years.

Last edited by LORDSETH65; 01-08-2010 at 02:30 AM. Reason: mispelling

Old 01-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #37
    lacy1893
    (female)

lacy1893 HB User

That is so funny...I hate Mylan. I tried it once about 8 years ago and the pain relief was much less than the gel. So, I switched back, even though I had to search for a pharmacy that carried something different.

I guess everyone responds differently to them...that is why they have different types!

Last edited by lacy1893; 01-08-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #38
    LORDSETH65
    (male)

LORDSETH65 HB User

Yeah Lacy no doubt that is funny. like you said each person responds differently. the gel worked well for me I was just afraid of the gel leaking. to me anything but the foil backed one is acceptable. thanks seth

Closed Thread