It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

How to look for doctor...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 4
SadWhimpers HB User
Question How to look for doctor...

My PCP recently put me on a IPcontract and it runs up next month. I am wondering: I have searched on the net for a Pain Doc in my area (the Portland, OR area, preferably west-side) but I can only find docs that work with spinal treatments and such. Does anyone have any tips or know of someone that might be able to help me.

I first injured my back in a combonation of incidents. First I pulled a 12 hour stock shift and then the next morning I lifted my brother (I was 18 and he was 1 1/2) and I heard a loud crack and felt a sharp pain the same time. I almost dropped my brother btw. I don't think it was my bro that did it, I think it was the strain the night before on top of the kid...

Things that happened later on in life added on to the pain. In 2003 my husband and I were in a very combustable living situation and I practically had to stay in our room which was cramped and only had a bed to "hang out" on.. During that stay we hit a HUGE snowstorm and had to be cooped up in the cold really did a job on my knees, and joints.

Then three years later we stayed with my mother-in-law for her last days and it was in the coldest part of the state I SWEAR, it made it worse...

Fast Forward one year (NOW), our climate has finally decided it was Spring and this years long winter has further deteriorated my joints.

I've had blood tests for white cell, lupus, Rheu. Arthritis, I do have severe inflammation in my body, but that it was not any of the "serious" things.

My mom, my mom's mom, my mom's sister and her sisters daughters ALL have Fibromyalgia. I've read the symptoms and its a DEAD on diagnosis.. I just don't know what testing there is to diagnose it. I read that it was the same test as lupus and R.A. but somewhere else told me it was pressure testing....
I just don't know.. I'm scared... My doctor has me on lortab 7.5/500 2xday and despite my diagnosed metabolic disorder (which she had to alter ALL of my OTHER meds to make up for my body processing it at an exellorated rate) she refuses to alter my pain meds. The thing is, the first sign of my mom's family with Fibro was them ALL jumping off the exam table when getting their blood pressure checked.. I have the same problem, it hurts like 1 holy mother.. I also have the TALL tale tempature regulation problem. If I am NOT on enough PM meds I feel like I am VERY VERY cold..... and when I am cold my body hurts that much more.

I would like to get to just taking a straight PM med, not something with Tylenol in it. I am gonna ask my doctor for Vicoprofen (it has the same amount of hydro but with 200 mgs of ibuprofen, then I could take the tylenol at night before bed in a Tylenol PM mixture...

My mother-in-law was a pharmacist, and I am terribly sad that she isn't here to help me with this... she would have been the perfect rock for me to lean on. I just don't know what to do. I need to get a job, but I can't cause of the CP... I'm only 26 and eventually I hope to have kids (I will need round the clock care cause I know better to take PM meds with pregnancy).....

So, if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. I feel so alone with this...

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 04-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Gresham, Oregon
Posts: 1,341
Fabrashamx HB User
Re: How to look for doctor...

Hi Sad,

Welcome to the pain boards, although I am sorry you need us! I am also in the portland area, but on the other side of the city. My old doctor was in tigard, but she retired. She may be working part time in a clinic somewhere, though, she told me when she closed her practice she might.
Her name is Carin Pluedeman, she is a family practice doctor, and she treated me for over a decade for chronic pain, although she does not use long acting meds.

I have no insurance, and dh and I lost eligibility for the Oregon Health Plan, so I had to go to county health (I'm in multnomah county) and apply for sliding scale care. I now see a doctor through the county, and they have me on methadone, which has helped my pain a lot, methadone is the preferred method of CP treatment in Multnomah county, or so I have been told.

I will ask around to see if anyone I know has a doctors name on the west side for you, my moms doctor is a total jerk, you dont want him, lol, and another friend has a great doctor that I have met, but she has stage 4 cancer, so I have no idea what he does with chronic non terminal patients or even if he treats them, but I will for sure ask around for you and get back to you asap.

In the meantime, I think OHSU has a pain clinic, you might try calling them, teaching hospitals are always a good bet for the most modern thinking and wide range of modalities offered.

Again, welcome, I will get back to you as soon as I find more info, and others may be along with more suggestions.

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 04-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,883
cmpgirl HB User
Re: How to look for doctor...

Hi Sad: Welcome! Like fabby, I'm sorry for the reason you had to come join us here, but it's a wonderful place for support and information. I don't live on your coast, but I can suggest looking for a doc who specializes in Physical medicine and Rehabilitation. The title is Physiatrist. That is what my pain management doc is and he is the best. He is also a professor at a large teaching hospital and med school.

I am sorry you have so much on your plate and at such a young age. I also admire your determination to have children. That is definitely a possibility even with chronic pain, especially when you have a reasonable expectation of your limitations, and you are willing and prepared to have the help you will need. Which you seem to already have.

I'm sorry you are feeling down right now, but you've come to the right place. Just keep venting and we'll keep listening and lending our support. Best of luck in finding the right doctor. cmpgirl

Old 04-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: western us
Posts: 7,266
ms_west HB User
Re: How to look for doctor...

I too am not in your neck of the woods but wanted to give a welcoming hug to the board. You will find that we are a very supportive and caring bunch of people who understand chronic pain to well unfortunately.

So go ahead and post away and we will try to answer your questions.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,153
brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: How to look for doctor...

I have a suggestion for you in addition to looking for a pm doc. Has your doctor ever suggested trying Lyrica(non-narcotic) medication that was approved to treat fibromalia. I take it, even though I don't have fibro, I do have nerve pain and it works for that too. There are also other non-narcotic meds that could be tried and have been shown to help with fibromyalgia. Another good one is Cymbalta which is a anti-depressant but also useful for many painful conditions including fibromyalgia. Oh I forgot to say welcome to the boards. I do things a little backwards sometimes. Maybe you could give those suggestions to your doc and see what he says. If he is not willing to prescribed those then definitely find another doctor that would be willing.


Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
Moldova's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,717
Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: How to look for doctor...

Fibromyologa is running in my family also.
There are no blood work to diagnose it, good Rheumotologist knows pressure points which get affected by this condition and by pressing on them he may suggest you have one. That is why many Drs don't even believe this condition exsists, because no proof and only based on symptoms.
Lupus, RA diagnosed by many tests. I suffer with childhood RA and it showed in my blood, red swollen joints, ex-rays and much more.

Fibromyologa is not a dangerous diagnoses, I wouldn't really worry much. Yes, it's painful; some days is very debilitating, but not to the point where RA takes you for example or Lupus. So usually some pain meds, anti-flammatory and anti-depressants work well. Make sure you have plenty of sleep since sleepsless nights, stress makes pain worse.

Good luck to you and best wishes!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 4
SadWhimpers HB User
Re: How to look for doctor...

I just don't understand why or how my PCP hasn't added all the symptoms together. I talked to my out of town pharmacist about this (its at the Pharmacy where I grew up/where my parents live) and he even put this together. My physical therapist didn't put it together either.. Between this and my infertility mystery I am really starting to lose ALL faith in the medical profession. I'm just sorely dissappointed in my doctor. A year ago I had a very trusting dr/patient relationship and I know I've lost that....

I've addressed to her that I have a hard time swallowing my PM meds, and that they give me a nauseating taste if I split them, it nearly makes me gag. Its the Watson 385 tablets. The ONLY sure-fire way to take them without gagging or without having to try 5 times to swallow them is to take them with V8 juice or other thicker juices. Has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by SadWhimpers; 05-02-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,006
Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: How to look for doctor...

I don't really know what's going on with this situation specifically....Sounds like there are many variables involved. However, it's important to note that for whatever reason, some Docs don't formally recognize Fibromyologa. This may or may not be part of the problem.


Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Should I look for a new doctor? Nelee Pain Management 5 12-12-2009 04:14 PM
what does cancer look like on ct scan kra53m Cancer: Prostate 6 08-26-2009 11:15 PM
Had to bribe the doctor in china to take a look at my extremly swollen foreskin. Globehopper Sexual Health - Men 1 03-03-2009 06:09 PM
Cyst makes you look pregnant? etbukatie Women's Health 3 02-09-2008 05:14 AM
Blepharoplasty - Will I ever look normal?? Nina01 Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery 5 06-02-2007 02:15 PM
Folliculities?? They look like bites; itch like bites; don't go away!!! jglarson2112 Skin Problems 0 11-30-2004 08:41 PM
I wrote a three page letter to my "doctor" hope she will take another look spitfire1 Thyroid Disorders 10 03-26-2004 07:01 AM
contacts that look real!! baby*flower Eye & Vision 8 12-11-2003 03:15 PM
Very low cortisol -- should I look for Addison's? VariegatedFritillary Addison's Disease 9 11-22-2003 11:13 AM
RESULTS ARE IN.......DOESN'T LOOK GOOD peaches31 Back Problems 1 06-24-2003 04:10 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!