It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Myofascial, advice on treatment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #16
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Myofascial, advice on treatment

cmp & Fred, I have to say I spent most of the day yesturday calmly trying to come to terms, did alot of talking to myself & god. So as I mentioned in peppers thread out picking up plants & came across a little plaque you put in plants on it was inscribed " I am bigger then anything you are facing" Love God, vs. John 16:33 of course I stood holding it in my hands knowing that god was sending me a message that he has not forsaken me. As I said to my husband when you are told something like that & you know enough to realize that its going to be abit of rough road it takes time to let it sink in. Who in there right mind wants to be told you have something wrong with you that is not "fixable" & that is going to cause you pain on a daily basis? It will take some time for me to adjust to not being able to do things I love to do. I was under the impression that once I got through the rehab with the shoulder surgery I would get my old life back, now I have to adjust my thinking. It does not happen over night.
    My husband is not so much worried about addiction, as he knows how I am. I am thrilled if I can cut out 1/2 dose for aday, he is worried about the long term effects of the meds, & the side effects. Of course he knows I am some what dependant (my body) on the meds, my pcps nurse went over it with him before my surgery & he is more afraid of any doctor not treating my pain, he knows what will happen, the vomiting, breathing issues, cying & so on.. It is hard on our families as we all know. because of the location of all this it can really get scary at times & I think he & the rest of my family will be adjusting right along with me & that is going to take alot of time, we all thought I was going to get over all this.
    I can't let any doctor give me more pain, but am afraid to step on anyones toes. I think mostly because I am not in pain managment & don't want to offend anyone & have them bail out of me. I hate it, to be at the mercy of others. All the misdiagnosises I have been through with docters, I need I good doctor who listens & that I can trust. I will take your advice when looking for a PM, it makes sense. Since I am loosing rom in that arm that has to be dealt with.
    I agree Fred I hate driving in traffic & you won't find me in the detroit area ever. Heck I can't find my way out of a box, combine the two & god knows where I would end up. I am trying a stronger compound cream starting today, wish me luck & keep the advice coming. God Bless, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 AM   #17
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sammy....He most certainly does work in our everyday lives. That plaque was just what you needed. I have had similar things happen over the years and I am so grateful that I have been able to recognize them, as you did, as the reminder that He hears us, always.

I know it is something that takes time. As I have said in other threads, even when you have come to terms, for the most part, there will always be moments when we struggle with it. I still do. And I firmly believe that none of us can ever give up hope. The 2 main things that I pray for every day, when I open my eyes, are strength and guidance. As long as He sees fit to give me those 2 things, I can usually handle the rest pretty well.

I am sending you good thoughts and lifting you up, every day. I'm here for you, for whatever I can do. Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 05-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #18
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

cmp, I have my osteo tommorrow & am not a happy camper with the shoulder pain flaring up after the last treatment. I am also reaching the end of my 6mnth. post op with the surgeon the end of june, ironic that I am in so much pain again with the shoulder after being sent to the osteo at his request.
    Anyway I am pretty much going to tell here that If the treatment is going to aggravate it all then I don't see what good its going to do me & see if she has a plan B. My next call to the surgeon will be this week because I will need a refill on my pain meds. At that time I am going to be asking if he will refer me to Pm or if he wants to wait for the 6mnth, which is the end of june. I dont think I ever asked you what you take & what meds help you the most? I am on perc. 10-325, which I usally take 3 times aday, if I am lucky I can get away with 21/2, I am trying to not up it & at times I know I could use the extra but still try my best, also motrin as needed, the compound creme, & flex. which I really hate, I try my best to just take it at bedtime, but know I would do better taking something during the day alot of the time. I have skelaxin & am wondering if I should give it another try, did not do much of anything before the shoulder surgery. I can't stay on the motrin for to long or my stomach will pay. What do you think? I really could use the higher dose but am afraid the surgeon will give me a hard time when I call for a refills. He did say I can take 1-2 every four to six hrs as needed, but heck already have to go through the whole why I am still needing this every time I call the office for a refill. Then of course I get the "Well I don't know I'll see what I can do", I'll tell you scares the crap out of me, I don't trust doctors to alway remember what they has said, you know? My patience is running pretty darn low. I am just taking enough to keep me at a somewhat comfortable pain level, but not getting much of living life at this time. Any suggestons for tommorows appointment with the osteo? Sammy

Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sammy,

I think that your surgeon, has done everything he knows in regard to your spinal issues. But the focus now has to be on the CMP, since that is the one aspect of your health, that can't be cured or fixed with surgery. And, it is what I think is causing the bulk of your pain. It's just not in his perview of care or expertise. You need a PM doc for this.

My first and current med regemine is Oxycontin, Vicodin and Soma. There have obviously been adjustments over the years. But there are many different options for long acting meds, short acting meds and muscle relaxers, so a PM may start you on the ones he/she is used to prescribing, or what his/her patients have responded best to. The key point is the combination of the three types of meds. I can give you other ideas about what to talk about with a PM doc, when the time comes, but for now, it's probably best to just get you referred to one.

Not having been to an osteo myself, I don't know what other techniques they have in their pain arsenal. But I do know that for me, anything more aggressive than true myofascial release therapy has only done me more harm and caused more pain. While it might be great for the post-op spinal issues, you have the CMP thrown in on top of that, and that changes everything. That was why I had to stop all of the conventional PT's. While they are designed to help with post-op spinal recovery, they exaserbate the CMP.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope this osteo can understand what you are telling her. Who knows, she may have some therapeutic tools to help soothe the muscle spasms. I know heat always helps me as does basic light massage. Key word being light. No deep tissue. Let me know if there's anything more I can try to answer. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, as always.

Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 05-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #20
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy, does it ever feel like burning pain?

I am sorry you are having such a rough time and pray that you can find a good pm doctor soon.

Last edited by ms_west; 05-20-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy - Check this thread out and be sure to read the entire thing. It sounds somewhat you are saying.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=160508&highlight=sensit ization&page=6[/url]

Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 AM   #22
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pepper, you are a doll! I did check out the thread & wow I am so glad I know I am not the only one suffering from this breathing problem, I am convinced after reading that thread that all the cmp is causing it. Ironically enough the problem with the breathing occured right after moving in my new home & that is how I injured myself, the darn breathing probelm occured before the pain ever did. I am so happy that you guided me to that thread. It is exactly what I experiance & it is scary as heck, you just can't get a breathe in at all, then up will go the heart rate. I am sure there are more people out there suffering from this & I plan to tell the osteo today. I was made to feel like I was a nut case & I am sure some of these people went throught the same. The doctor at the time had me try anti depressants that I had some nasty reactions to, I don't think about it often & never talk about it but at that time it may help someone else, I thought about sudicide when on them & in the back of my mind I knew it was not me but how the drugs were effecting me, they actually made me depressed. I have never in my life experianced something like that & would never think that way. Thank god my husband took control & I went off the meds. It was a nightmare & it took me to a place I never want to be again. I am deathly afraid of those meds & only tried a few, every single one I have had a reaction to. My husband finally told the doctor do not ever put my wife on any form of antidepressant again. Heck I took one that had me where I could barely walk or talk. All because no doctor would listen. They thought it was in my head. Yet for the life of me I could not breathe. No matter how hard you try you are unable to get a full inhalation in. At least I know I am not alone. I do not have to burning pain. Thank god. I did have & do at times have what I call hot spots where an area will feel like someone is holding a lighter to it about the size of a half dollar, then it will go away. It is the strangest thing, & that was one of the first things to occur. You do not even know how relieved I am to know that this is all related, & to think a was on asthma meds for 2 yrs. In fact having a tough day today with the breathing.
    cmp, I think you are under the impression I had spinal surgery, but I had decompression of the shoulder. I do have cervical problems, but thank god no surgery, I hope to avoid it ever. You have been a huge help I responded to you other thread. Thanks & god bless, Sammy

Old 05-21-2008, 06:55 AM   #23
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy, I thought that thread was exactly what you needed to read and I pray it put you a little bit more at ease. I am just so thrilled that I found it in the archives. I was actually doing an advanced search on sensitization of all things and found it.

Sammy, my heart goes out to you. The pain you are experiencing sounds excruitiating and I pray that you find the answers you need to get the proper treatment or pain management you deserve. Sammy in my heart I really believe you do need to be in with a good pm like I do. Pain levels of 8/9/10's are not acceptable.

Take care my friend ..... I do care and am here for you.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #24
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ok guys put up a thread on spinal cord stimulater. Had osteo appointment today. Not so good, she got into the rib cage today & just confirmed that its a mess in there. No more aggressive treatments. She said she admires my attitude & courage, boy I sure am glad she could not see me when I got home (ha). I am going to have to call the surgeon, it is time for PM & I dread making that call. Of course I am scared. My husband is not accepting this or should I say not dealing with it well at all. I am trying to come to terms & he refuses to. He does not want me on pain meds for the rest of my life. I can't say how long I will be on anything, heck this is new to me & the doctors can't tell me anything either. I did tell the osteo I am loosing quality of life here. I can't even get the cap off of the hairspray bottle, cant do anything much that I enjoy & anymore & at least want to attempt to get some better pain control. I am taking the least amount of pain meds that I can & probably undermedicating for the pain, but heck I am so afraid the surgeon won't continue treating me. At least the osteo can now say I have honestly tried no matter how hard it was. I will continue to look for ways to improve but I have to have good pm. This is hard physically & emotionally. I feel like I am on a rollercoaster, one day I have hope the next day I don't. I lost it with my husband & told him he is darn lucky I am not depressed by now & staying in bed. Some days its tempting. I need encouragement not lecturing about pain meds. I am not a happy camper right now. I will be dragging him into the next appointment if I have to, for the third time. My gosh its easy for someone else to give advice when they are not the ones in pain. I am not going back to all that vomiting & pain for noone. The more I try to be normal I honestly believe the more my family misunderstands. I am really just hanging on & becoming an emotional wreck here. I hope menapause is easier then this. I am ready to blow at my family if they give me a hard time about this. I can't believe after everything I have been through that they are not trying to understand. I just think it is not something they want to deal with. I do everything & that is not going to happen again, at least not for along time. Wish me luck because I am going to need it all the way around the board. The osteo did say she can attempt just the myofacsial release for now if I decide to continue, but it is a distance for me if I am in any major pain, & my old pt is also asking around for me to find someone who specializes in it, I am lucky to have had her for my pt & once I get into pm I am going to ask about contining pt to try to get some range of motion back in that shoulder. Thanks guys Sammy

Old 05-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #25
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

I'm sorry hon, about the anxiety and anger you are feeling right now. I know it's not much consolation, but I remember how it feels. All I can say right now is that I am here for you, as is this whole wonderul PM family. I know in time your husband will come around. For now, he is just confused and worried because he doesn't know how to help. My husband felt the same way in the beginning. He didn't explain it to me that way till much later. And I was in so much pain and so unsure about the future, that I wouldn't have recognized it at the time anyway. You will get through this. I know it in my heart. You are already on a brand new path and headed in a better direction.

You are in my thoughts and my prayers. I wish I could take some of this away from you and carry it for you for a while. God Bless. I'm sending some gentle hugs your way.....CMP/MM (((((Sammy)))))

Closed Thread