It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Ameritox drug screening

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #16
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: Ameritox drug screening

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline View Post
    Exec, I have no clue where you get your information as far as how Ameritox spends their money or comes up with their price, but even the most expensive UA still has to be confirmed by GC/MS or they aren't following protocol. I know this because my brother is Quality control and the FDA liason for one of the largest and oldest pharamcuetical companies in the world. Where are you geting your info Exec?
    The company's own website.

Quote:
    Ameritox isn't making recomedations to adjust medication levels based on the results or any information they gather that your suggesting, They simply follow protocol, They send the patient and the doc the results and it's up to the doc to decide what to do with dosing if testing determines a level is disproportionate to the actual dose. I've actually seen and gone over my own ameritox drug report and there were no sugestions made based on statistical analylysis. How much do you think GC/MS costs and how many times have you dealt with Ameritox to make those assertions about the cost of doing things the right way?
    Again, the information is in their own words. If I could cut & paste I would....Some of their statements are quite alarming.

My only point is this.....While Ameritox may have a comprehensive service, I think it's overkill. Ironically, most of the patients who require this service have limited incomes due to their pain....Disability & etc. Many PM patients can't even get some of their meds covered by insurance yet alone a $400 test. Even it becomes a $200 test, that's still a lot of money. I think there are much more cost effective ways to monitor paitents, which I'm an advocate for by the way. This has been good dialogue though.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #17
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Exec, RX gaurdian is simply a database to enhance the acuracy of their testing. That sight doesn't even mention the specific methods they use or the protocol needed to confim with GC/MS or LC/MS which is protocol for any rapid UA that provides a presumptive result. You spent 3 minutes reading the marketing lit about gaurdian and assumed this is why it's that much more expensive and gave no weigth to the fact they actually confirm using the only aproved method to confirm.

Telling people this is a rip off or wrong when your interpreting limited information used for marketing is not doing anyone any favors. It just so happened I saw my shrink today to talk about an issue my daughter is having and how to proceeed. He refers his patients to my group of docs and asked how things were going at the center, I asked what do you mean? He responded that he had 3 patients terminated 2 years ago based on cheap rapid UA's that were not confirmed. There have been a half dozen people just on this forum that have failed UA's for not finding drugs that should be in their system because of the limitations of these rapid tests.

Since going to a company that actually follows protocol , there hasn't been a single incident where a dismissal was caused by a cheap test that hadn't been confirmed. CP patients are 600 times more likely to take their own life but the price of the test is too great? I would guess that number goes up when they have been unjustly terminated from a practice based on one of the many test unable to detect keto synthetic opiates or to diferentiate between oxycodone and hydromorphone.

I could cut and paste from The canadian health ministry, the armed service commity and the world health organization about the problems detecting and the lack of confirmation with most rapid UA's being used.

I tell people why it's more expensive but completelty acurate and you're disputing that based on 3 minutes of reading about a company you have had no dealings with. Have you not discovered you can find a web sight that supports any side of the coin you wish to believe, PETA says beer is safer for infants than milk, Is that true too. It doesn't mean everything PETA says or does is BS, But I asure you I can find an article that suggests beer isn't healthier for a child than milk.

BTW. for the poster that started this thread. You recieve a bill when the bill goes out to insurance, a few weeks after the test just so you're aware of the cost. It doesn't mean your insurance has denied paying for the test when you get the first bill. Give it a few weeks. wait for your EOB and then call ameritox or your insurance, BTW, Medicare covers ameritox. I didn't read that, I know it from experience with this company and medicare.

Last edited by Shoreline; 05-27-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #18
    arkia
    (female)

arkia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline View Post
    BTW. for the poster that started this thread. You recieve a bill when the bill goes out to insurance, a few weeks after the test just so you're aware of the cost. It doesn't mean your insurance has denied paying for the test when you get the first bill. Give it a few weeks. wait for your EOB and then call ameritox or your insurance, BTW, Medicare covers ameritox. I didn't read that, I know it from experience with this company and medicare.
    I have received my EOB from the insurance company; they paid $72.

The bill that they sent had stated in it not to pay anything before submitting the tax information to see if I qualified for a lower/free price.

I am now awaiting my second bill from them showing what my actual total due is. No matter the amount, it is more than I can afford.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #19
    arkia
    (female)

arkia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Executor View Post
    Did I read this right.....You have to send them your tax information?
    Ex
    Ex- you read it correctly. I had to send in my taxes to prove what our income was.

Now....here's an update....I had my PM appointment today and decided to bring the cost to their attention. What brought it up actually was that my face sheet had a blue highlight dot on it, which he told me was the Ameritox reps way of saying I should do a drug screen. He crossed it out and said since my initial one in February was clean he wouldn't be doing it and, as far as he was concerned, a once-a-year test was adequate. However, Ameritox recommends every 4 months. I told him I didn't have a problem doing a UA every visit as long as it was something affordable, but $400 was way too much, especially considering so many of the patients are on disability.

So, I told him it was $400. He said, "please tell me you didn't pay that much." I told him no, that I had submitted my taxes and qualified for the 50% off. He said, "please tell me you didn't even pay that much." I just looked at him quizzically and said, "no, not yet, I'm still waiting for the updated bill since they had me send in the original bill with my taxes." He said, "don't pay it." Apparently, they have what he called a "soft billing" and they don't have an actual billing department. He said to call the number on the qualifying letter they sent me and tell them I could only afford $10 and they would take it and write the rest off. He said the actual cost of the test is something like $1200!!!! He also said he believes that the office is going to be getting away from using Ameritox in the future because with Ameritox it is required that the person/tech be there and he doesn't do anything else other than drug tests. They would prefer to move to a screen where the person could do other duties in the office in addition to the screening.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #20
    bbfan
    (male)

bbfan HB User

When I took my test it went to Ameritox. Ameritox then billed my ins. comp around 1,000 dollars. My jaw literally dropped. I saw the test, what my urine was tested for, their levels and if you had a positive result next to the drug classification it would state 'inconsistent' and be bolded. It shows your levels of the drug in your urine. Also at the end of the report it basically summarizes your drugs shown, their expected time they should be in your body etc., It's a very detailed test but in all honesty, is it worth 1,000 dollars; no. I'm sure from a cost standpoint there is probably a ton of profit made. I know I wouldn't happy if let go because one day a test decided to fail and you know those results aren't true. That's why I'm a firm believer in second chances in something as sensitive as PM. A confirmation test so to speak. I think for the good people who are honest about it deserve it and the people who don't well, I bet this is atleast a wake up call for them and I'd hope they'd know better the next time. I don't know, but for someone who doesn't have a thousand dollars to spend when the doctor decides he needs to perform a urinalysis I can't I'm happy about it.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #21
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I'm so sorry you have a $1000 bill. I would talk to the Doc and see what could be done. I know UAs are an important part of PM, but patient affordability has to be considered.

Please let us know how your conversation with the Doc goes, and good luck.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 06-16-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #22
    BrodyT
    (female)

BrodyT HB User
    Angry Re: Ameritox drug screening

I am new here on the health boards and I must tell you all that you have not seen anything yet. I was billed a whopping $1,500.00 by Ameritox after what my PM doctor was paid. I was told by my PM doctor's office that I should not have to pay it - they filed a claim on my insurance twice and got the same response from them - unnecessary charges - claim denied. I cannot pay this. And, this was my first drug screening which took place in 2008 - I was drug screened again last week so I am looking for the same thing - another bill. I do not know what to do. I too received a financial aid document to fill out which is a joke - it still leaves the patient owning most of the bill. I was told by my PM doctor's office that this was not the Dr.'s screening, but a screening that is done by Ameritox for their own records, etc.

I would love to hear from some of you regarding my post.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #23
    BrodyT
    (female)

BrodyT HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arkia View Post
    Ex- you read it correctly. I had to send in my taxes to prove what our income was.

Now....here's an update....I had my PM appointment today and decided to bring the cost to their attention. What brought it up actually was that my face sheet had a blue highlight dot on it, which he told me was the Ameritox reps way of saying I should do a drug screen. He crossed it out and said since my initial one in February was clean he wouldn't be doing it and, as far as he was concerned, a once-a-year test was adequate. However, Ameritox recommends every 4 months. I told him I didn't have a problem doing a UA every visit as long as it was something affordable, but $400 was way too much, especially considering so many of the patients are on disability.

So, I told him it was $400. He said, "please tell me you didn't pay that much." I told him no, that I had submitted my taxes and qualified for the 50% off. He said, "please tell me you didn't even pay that much." I just looked at him quizzically and said, "no, not yet, I'm still waiting for the updated bill since they had me send in the original bill with my taxes." He said, "don't pay it." Apparently, they have what he called a "soft billing" and they don't have an actual billing department. He said to call the number on the qualifying letter they sent me and tell them I could only afford $10 and they would take it and write the rest off. He said the actual cost of the test is something like $1200!!!! He also said he believes that the office is going to be getting away from using Ameritox in the future because with Ameritox it is required that the person/tech be there and he doesn't do anything else other than drug tests. They would prefer to move to a screen where the person could do other duties in the office in addition to the screening.
    I would love to know your outcome with Ameritox. I was billed $1,500.00 and like your PM doctor, was told not to pay it. Ameritox sent me a financial form to fill out which would leave us still owing almost the full amount. I cannot pay this bill - no ifs, ands, or buts! I don't know what to do next. I faxed a letter to my PM doctor this morning asking them to do something since they are the ones who told me not to pay it. Not to pay it!! Are you kidding me? They could ruin my credit!! I am waiting to hear back from someone. I also faxed a copy of the letter I sent to my PM doctor to the lady I spoke to at Ameritox last week. If nothing else, she got an earfull. They should know that people don't have that kind of money just sitting around for them to do their "own extensive testing." My bill for my PM that month was around $1,200.00 and my insurance paid it all except for my co-pay. I asked the PM doctor's insurance office why his bill was so expensive that month instead of the regular cost of each regular monthly visit and she informed me that was because of the drug screening! Okay, that should be enough. We should not have to pay Ameritox any other monies! Nada!! I am interested in anything or information other patients can give me regarding their experiences with Ameritox and how you dealt with them. Thanks so much - I am new to the board as of today. My name is Brenda but I go by BrodyT, my grandson's name.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #24
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Hello and welcome to the boards. Many here have a wide variety of experiences and can offer lots of help and support.

I'm not sure what you should do with this one. If it were me, I wouldn't do anything until I sat down with my Doc @ my next appointment and discussed what my options were. I'd be very nice and professional, but also frank and tell him that you don't have this kind of money and that it seems very unnecessary. Tell him you understand why UAs happen and that you support them in principal, but there has to be a better way! I'd maybe even say something semi funny, but on the crass side like "I'm not sure what's gonna get me first...My pain or my medical bills!".....Something like that

If the Doc tells you again not to pay it, I would remind him about it getting put on your credit & etc. and see what he says. Maybe he can talk to the Ameritox rep and see if they can write it off or something. Your Doc selected this service and I'm guessing he was hit with some sales pitch by the company @ some point in time.

I truly hope that @ the end of the day, you don't have a tough decision to make....Not pay it and have it on your credit, or pay it and go into debt. That wouldn't be fair to you at all. Talk to the Doc...It's your best option for a sense of direction @ this point.

Best of luck to you. Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread