It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• TENS Machines.... worth the cost?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User
    TENS Machines.... worth the cost?

I have chronic upper back/neck/shoulder pain.... have been wondering about a TENS machine.

What are peoples experiences with them

Do they only releive the pain while it is actualy on you and running, or does the releif last?

Can you were it and go about your job/home duties etc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User
    Re: TENS Machines.... worth the cost?

The TENS unit that I used, way back in the day, was loaned to me by my then PM doc. They figured it was better for me to try it out first, before shellling out the cash. (or insurance co-pay)

I had no luck with it, unfortunately. But my specific condition requires low impact and a very light hand, so to speak. So the TENS made my muscles feel like an open wound that someone had just poured alcohol into. Ouch!

I have heard many people say that they couldn't function without them. So as with most modalities, different people have different experiences. Could your doc loan you one to try?

If you decide to give it a try, I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know if you do. Take care, CMP/MM

Old 05-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
    music47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

music47 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: TENS Machines.... worth the cost?

Hi Aussie

My husband has had one for several years. He is a service connected Disabled Veteran with a lot of back pain from an injury. The machine has helped his pain about fifty percent. It's different for each individual. He hasn't had any problems with side effects. He turns it on every morning and goes about mowing grass,feeding the animals,etc. I know if he had it to do over, he would have the surgery.

Take care, Nadine

Old 05-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I was using a machine similar to a TENS unit about 3 years ago. It didn't matter how or when I used it my upper back pain increased a great deal. I tried it at a low setting and got the same increase as the higher setting caused. After one month of doing this every day I sent the thing back. When I talked to the PM about it his response was "some people just can't use these things". With whatever is wrong with my body, my upper back/neck in particular, anything that vibrates or massages or sometimes touches the area causes a pain spike. Sorry I can't be much help.
    Fred

Old 05-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
    scrappinmaniac
    (female)

scrappinmaniac HB User

Hello Aussie ~ I hope a TENS machine is the same thing as a TENS unit. I have never heard of a TENS machine, only a TENS unit.

What are peoples experiences with them?

I have problems with the thoracic and lumbar areas of my back. On the advice of my PM doctor at the time, I purchased and began using a TENS unit last March. It is a Godsend.

Do they only relieve the pain while it is actually on you and running, or does the relief last?

I do think that the unit only relieves my pain while I have it turned on, but I can have it on as many times a day as I feel is necessary.

Can you wear it and go about your job/home duties etc?

Yes! That's the great thing about it, it's small and discreet, and it has a clip on it so you can easily clip it on your pants and be on your way.

Whatever decision you make, I sincerely wish you only the best.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I started to use Tense Unit about month ago: I absolutely love it and would recomment anybody who has pain problems.
    I got mine by Prescription from my PM DR through Physical Therapy place, they ordered it for me to try and see I can tolerate it first.
    Brand I got called Empi, very nice and small size, I wear it on my waist and can go with it for whole day; very mild and gentle.
    They used to make them very harsh and it wouldn't be good for people with Fibromyologa, but the new once you can adjust from very gentle "touch" to a much stronger.

What it does is: destracts (sp?) feeling of pain by making different type of movements (I hope this explains right). Some days I am in such severe pain but when I put Tense unit in about 20 minutes i catch myself not concentrate on pain anymore. I met many people at PT place who love using it and some just can't get used to it.
    I guess it all depends...

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

Ordered one off of ******, it was only 70 bucks.... worth risking it if there is a chance of some decent releif!

Closed Thread