It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• my girlfriends throwing up blood.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
    jonh33
    (male)

jonh33 HB User
    my girlfriends throwing up blood.

Well im pretty sure its blood. So last night my girlfriend took two pills which I believe are 100 mg morphine. she also had a little to drink. She woke up this morning throwing up what I think might be blood. She was also pretty itchy and very nauseous. She doesnt want to go to the hospital because she doesnt have insurance.

so i need to know, is this a medical emergency?

ps: shes mixed alcohol with pain medication in the past and been fine. i know its a really bad idea but lets deal with this problem at hand first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User
    Re: my girlfriends throwing up blood.

Call the doctor that prescribed it and tell him everything. If no doctor prescribed it for CP, youre on the wrong boad.

you can also take her to an emergency room at once, they wont make you pay now and you can make arrangements to pay them over time.

The doctors cannot help her unless she tells them everything, they arent cops, they are doctors.

She and you both know she is risking her life drinking on these meds so I wont lecture you here but I will say its a really really bad idea.

HTH,

Fabby

PS~ Are you not sure they were 100 mg morphine or is she not sure? You need to be aware there are meds out there so strong they are only meant to be taken by people with an already huge tolerence, to take even one or two if you arent used to them can be fatal.

Last edited by Fabrashamx; 06-23-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonh33 View Post
    ...lets deal with this problem at hand first...
    YES - it is a medical emergency.

This is not like mixing vicodin or codeine with alcohol - it's a whole new ballgame. The reason that Palladone (long acting hydromorphone) was taken off the market is because folks were dying by mixing Palladone with alcohol, even small amounts of alcohol.

The only responsible thing to do is GET HER TO AN ER RIGHT NOW!!!

Get her to the hospital now. To do anything less is negligent and abusive.

Screw the cost.

There's already been too much delay in getting her seen.

steve

Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

I know you don't want to hear a lecture as you made that clear but please, please, do not drink alchol with pain meds, that is just ridicoulous and dangerous. She needs to be seen by a DR, right away. I would start by calling the Dr who prescribed them, if they were not prescribed to her than you can take her to an urgent care facility or the ER room. Her life should be more important than money, like fabby and steve said, you can always make payments to a hospital and let them know you have no insurance so to not run every test in the book, only what is truly necessary.... sometimes blood can look like coffee grounds so since your not sure if it was blood or not did it resemble coffee grounds, if so PLEASE go the hospital or to her Dr's office, and be very careful in the future. People die all the time from mixing strong narcotics and booze so this is nothing to play around with. if she is planning on drinking again, she should not take her meds for the day. Most Dr's won't even prescribe high doses of any narcotic if someone drinks a lot, its to risky. Your also putting the prescribing Dr in a very bad place as his name is on the bottle and you drank booze when you new you were not supposed to so he is liable. Its a very irresponsible thing to do given she took (2) 100 mgs of morphine and mixed it with alchol. was she trying to catch a quick buzz or what? how dangerous. I do hope she is okay. Please post back to us and let us know what the Dr says about this.........

SS

Old 06-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

At the risk of sounding callous, not like this person is still on here, there are better ways of committing suicide. I had a buddy who did the wash pain meds down with booze. Though he was just so cool. His wife and 5 year old daughter found him on the kitchen floor. Dead.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I think sometimes its hard to know which posts are real or whats going on, if the OP is there, no offense, I just felt strongly that we all felt compelled to reply because it seemed to be an actual life threatening emergency.

I would hope most people would know to call 911, not ask on a peer support board about something like this. The wrong or flip advice could be deadly and I am so proud of all of you for reaching out to tell this person to do the right thing and seek immediate help.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
    badoldback
    (male)

badoldback HB User

Hey jonh33,
    The fact that she lived overnight means the worst is over, she did NOT die from suppressed breathing. That having been said, vomiting blood is not good and she should be seen by a doctor as soon as possible. Not necessarily in the next 20 minutes, but certainly in the next 20 hours.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I hope the OP got her to somewhere to get help, but if those pills she took were NOT prescribed to her it only reinforces why we cant gt our meds when we desperately need them. Even if they were, to drink on that amount is plain crazy.
    They must not have been or the OP would have had the bottle or the GF would have had the med recognized instead of the posted guessing at the dose and med. sorry, i hope she got help, and I do mean this, but here I am fighting for meds I need to be comfortable and taking hyro and following every rule to the letter, and somone can abuse their meds like this rather they wree prescribed or not is something I have a hard time with.
    I hope it all had a good outcome.
    xoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

I hope she is okay and you are at the hospital - vomiting blood is a medical emergency - if it has stopped you still need to go to the hospital immediately because she is operating with no reserve sooooo if she bleeds again it could possibly be fatal - this is nothing to wait and see what happens - I will be praying for you hugs Aver

Closed Thread