It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• New medication...need information and advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #46
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: New medication...need information and advice

According to the patient prescribing white paper that comes in the box, it takes several applications (each 72 hours) for the patch to be @ full strength...The blood plasma level (BPL) will rise with each application....The paper says that your BPL will peak in about 10-12 days. Thus, one should give it @ least a good week before deciding whether it's working or not. However, you should feel some pain control within a day or so as the med hits your system.

Upon patch removal, your BPL will drop by 50% in 17 hours....On average. Some drop quicker....Some slower.

The best place to apply the patch is on the outer arm. This area is flat and won't wrinkle easily. There aren't many sweat glands there either. The white paper also recommends the flanks and stomach. I used the lower back for a while, but found the area to be too sweaty. I had the most success with the outer arm.

Good luck, and please let me know how all goes. I'm here to help as much as I can....Take care.

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #47
    rich57
    (male)

rich57 HB User

Thanks Executor and trowftd3. It has been a very bad day. I think I will try and get some sleep. I will keep you guys informed.

And as always, thank you so much for your advice and support!!

Richard

Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #48
    empressofq13
    (female)

empressofq13 HB User

Ex,
    Thank you for explaining that so well. I was so out of it when I first went on it, and I was on sooo many other meds at the same time, I wouldn't have been able to tell anyone how it works. I just know it does. I do know if I forget to change the patch. and I don't change it until the pain starts hitting,
    it takes about 6 hours to relieve my pain again as well as before. I really appreciate you guys on here for taking the time to answer our questions!

Richard,

Hang in there. Just remember you have room to move up if the 12.5 isn't strong enough. But like Ex says, Give it time!

Cindy
    2005-current 5 joint surg, 3 organ surg, Lupus SLE, DDD, OA grade IV, Fibro, Hypoth, Breast Fibroids, Heart Ablation, Kid & Gallbl. stones, thyroid nodules, colon polyps, ovarian cyst, Kid and Liv dmg

Old 07-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #49
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rich57 View Post
    It has been a very bad day.
    Sorry to hear about this. Can you provide some more information?

Ex

Old 07-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #50
    rich57
    (male)

rich57 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Executor View Post
    Sorry to hear about this. Can you provide some more information?

Ex

When I started using the patch on Saturday, I had a miserable day. My head hurt all day and got worse as the day wore on. Sunday was just as bad, and today things haven't changed at all. I know I need to give the patch a chance but I have been on it for over 54 hours now and my pain level has not changed at all. It is a little frustrating. I have read so much about how good the patch is but it is not helping me at all.

I haven't been on the patch as long as most of you and I was just wondering when can I expect this miraculous pain medicine to start working. As of now I would be satisfied for just a little relief, for just a little while.

I called my doctor's office, but they haven't got back to me yet. I know I need to be more patient but as we all know it is pretty hard to be patient when you hurt. I think that with so much going on with my body and mind I was expecting too much, too soon from the patch.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Richard

Old 07-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #51
    empressofq13
    (female)

empressofq13 HB User

Rich,
    I wonder if the withdrawals from the other meds you were on are causing you more pain that the patch is doing good? You will have to ask someone other than me though. I don't think I ever went through any withdrawals from any meds except the patch (when I forget it or when the Airlines lost it!)

I know you probably expect the patch to get rid of all your pain...but I doubt it will. It got rid of the constant aching and the severity of the pain I have in my back, neck and knees...but I still hurt a lot! I can at least go through the motions of taking care of me(I can't do much else). I was not able to function at all before. Now if you don't have as many problems as me...I would assume it would help you better than me. BUT I have to say that the patch (at least for me) does NOT give you a high feeling at all! The only negative I have is sleepiness(can fall asleep anytime so I can't drive anymore) memory loss, and confusion or not being able to have a normal thought process, (but all of these could be caused from my problems or the med, either one).

I myself can't stand the feeling the other drugs give me, but you maybe missing it. Hopefully someone else can help you on this. I can't, sorry.

Keep us posted and please hang in there!
    2005-current 5 joint surg, 3 organ surg, Lupus SLE, DDD, OA grade IV, Fibro, Hypoth, Breast Fibroids, Heart Ablation, Kid & Gallbl. stones, thyroid nodules, colon polyps, ovarian cyst, Kid and Liv dmg

Old 07-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #52
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Rich,

I'm Shay. I just wanted to add something. Although I don't have bi-polar disorder, I have been through hell and back with major depression. The depression stems from the chronic pain, all the surgeries, and all the years prior to me being in PM of untreated or undertreated pain. Can you find a doc that treats both chronic pain and the bi-polar disorder?

Last edited by friendly_one; 07-15-2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add info

Old 07-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #53
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by empressofq13 View Post
    I know you probably expect the patch to get rid of all your pain...but I doubt it will. It got rid of the constant aching and the severity of the pain I have in my back, neck and knees...but I still hurt a lot! I can at least go through the motions of taking care of me(I can't do much else). I was not able to function at all before. Now if you don't have as many problems as me...I would assume it would help you better than me. BUT I have to say that the patch (at least for me) does NOT give you a high feeling at all! The only negative I have is sleepiness(can fall asleep anytime so I can't drive anymore) memory loss, and confusion or not being able to have a normal thought process, (but all of these could be caused from my problems or the med, either one).
    Empress is correct.....The patch won't address all of your pain....No LA med will.....You will need BT meds.

The headache you are experiencing is normal....It's a typical side effect of fentanyl, but will subside soon. Try to hang in there best you can. It should start addressing your pain very soon. Your blood plasma level will stay sustained once you've gone through a couple of applications.

Good luck, and hope you start to feel better.

Ex

Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #54
    rich57
    (male)

rich57 HB User

Thanks empress and ex. I'll put on a new patch today. I figured I would give it three more days and if no relief, then, I guess it's on to plan B(or is this plan B).

empress, I think you might be on to something. With the percocet I had that cheap high right after taking the pill and then the pain was gone(for at least an hour or two). Maybe that is what I am missing. I have myself convinced, no high, no relief. I know that sounds sick, but I guess that's me being me.

Your comments are always appreciated. I feel like I have found me a whole set of new friends. As always thank you for your kind words and kind thoughts.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:27 AM   #55
    lifeaftr40
    (male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

I know we can't post names or links Rich but there is one great PM in Raleigh (Brier Creek ) that is great and really listens to his patients and will try different LA meds until they get one that works. I am not convinced the Fent patch is for me but I go back for Med check next month and will ask.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #56
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lifeaftr40 View Post
    I know we can't post names or links Rich but there is one great PM in Raleigh (Brier Creek ) that is great and really listens to his patients and will try different LA meds until they get one that works.
    Yes, you can post Dr. Names, but no phone #s or contact information is allowed.

Ex

Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #57
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rich57 View Post

empress, I think you might be on to something. With the percocet I had that cheap high right after taking the pill and then the pain was gone(for at least an hour or two). Maybe that is what I am missing. I have myself convinced, no high, no relief. I know that sounds sick, but I guess that's me being me.
    I know what you mean, but when you communicate with a Doc, I would re-word how you feel. Tell him that with the patch you just feel sedated and blah and it's not addressing the pain (main reason). Some meds don't work with some pain. All meds target different receptors and what works for one may ot work for another.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #58
    empressofq13
    (female)

empressofq13 HB User

Rich,
    You are more than welcome. I know when my nightmare started it was with my knees and it was on a board like this which kept me sane. I found I was not crazy and I could talk to others who KNEW what I was going through. There isn't ANYONE you can truly talk to in your family or friends unless THEY have been through the same. They might try, but they can't! The old addage about having to walk in someone's shoes is what my life is all about now!
    So glad, you are going to keep giving it a go, and please do listen to Ex about how to talk to the Dr. It might hinder you getting help if you don't! Keep us posted and glad you found some help on here! It is a Great site!

Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #59
    rich57
    (male)

rich57 HB User

Ex, I have a question for you or anyone else that has been on the patch for awhile. Are you telling me that something 75x stronger than morphine doesn't have a kick with it. I know this is a weird question but as I stated in one of previous posts my mind works in a strange way. I quess it is because of so many medicines over so many years I have convinced myself that if the medicine doesn't have a punch with it that probably means it is not going to work. I know that is a stupid way to think but that's just the way my screwed up mind works.

Another thing, I have now been on the patch for approximately 82 hours and my pain level has not changed at all! I find it hard to believe that there is a point where the medicine reaches a certain level in my body and the pain just disappears. It just seems that there would be some improvement along the way. As you can probably tell I am not making a lot of sense because my head hurts so bad it is hard to concertrate. So please forgive my rambling!

If someone could address these issues I sure would appreciate it. It's kind of pathetic that I'm am beginning to trust my new found friends more than I trust my doctor. I look at it like this...someone that has lived through it can be a lot more helpful than someone who read about it in a book.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #60
    empressofq13
    (female)

empressofq13 HB User

Rich,
    All I can tell you is my experience. I was in the hospital in so much pain, I needed to be knocked out for 3 days. During the 5 days I was there they went through a lot of different meds. I know one was morphine and I think methadone. Like I said I was out of it! They knocked me out with dilaudid. This was a fantastic drug. It took away all pain, but I was mostly knocked out or severely loopy. They finally put me on a 25mcg Duragesic Patch on about the 3rd day and I went home on the 5th day still in pain, but not anything like I was. I was having severe cramps and muscle aches in my legs. My back, neck, knees, and muscles hurt All the time, but with the patch I can deal and without the patch I am climbing the walls trying to get into a comfortable position to sleep or just sit. It takes about 3 days off the patch before the pain started creaping back in. I didn't go over that, because the Airline delivered my luggage and I quickly put one on. But it was still another 12 hours before I felt it kicking in and could sleep again. NO this medicine does not in any form make me feel like I am on anything. Maybe my resistance is up so high, I don't know. I do know that when I was taking the morphine, oxy's hydros's etc. I felt so doapy. I can't explain it. I do however agree with Ex., because of the experiences I have had when I didn't have the patch for 3 days. You know it is an eye opener deluxe when you are talking about Chronic Pain. When you hurt all the time, it affects not just your body but your mind. You get so sick of feeling pain. I think a lot of getting on is accepting the fact you will hurt. Chronic pain isn't like acute pain. It will go away when you get better. Chronic pain don't go away. At least not in my life. I hope you are different! Sorry I can't help anymore. Good Luck!

Closed Thread