It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• What do you think about NORCO?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
    What do you think about NORCO?

Please advice:
    did anybody used this med. and got help for severe pain? I was on Percocet, Morphine, Fentanyl patch, Deiludin (sp), Oxy as LA and Oxycodone.

I need to make some changes and not sure about Norco - anybody has anything to say about it?

Thank you in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: What do you think about NORCO?

Hey Moldova....."Norco" is usually the generic term for Hydrocodone with Tylenol. Comes in 5mg, 7.5, and 10mg. The brand equivalent is Lorcet, Lortab, or Vicodin. The difference is the amt of Tylenol.

All of the above are a significant step down from the meds you list.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 07-03-2008 at 07:23 AM.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Thank you so much!
    You mean Norco is less powerful, am I right? I just trying to figure it out: what to take which is less damaging to my liver. Between Vytorin and Tylenol in Percocet and Oxycodone makes bitter taste in my mouth 24/7.
    My GP says that this is due to much meds for my liver and he suggests to talk to my PM about meds with less Tylenol..

What about Methadone?

Very confusing, please help!!!!

Last edited by Moldova; 07-03-2008 at 07:35 AM.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

I took Norco or about 1 year before moving up to Percocet 10 mg. I took Norco 10/325. I found it to be a decent pain reliever which, or me, lasted longer than the pecocets do. In fact, I have been thinking of asking for a switch from 3 x 10mg/325 Percocet daily to 4 x 10/325 Norco daily. They just seem to provide longer relief for me, eg 3 hours versus the 1-2 hours percocet provide to me.

That said, I have never been on a LA med. I do take valium 10mg x 2 daily and an occasonal muscle relaxant.

Good luck - would you use the Norco for break through pain? A friend of mine in long term pain management has had the opposite effect re Norco - she cannot find relief using it.

Good luck Moldova.
    T

Old 07-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Technically speaking, hydrocodone is less potent than Oxycodone. Hydrocodone based products (Lortab, Lorcet, Vicodin) are permitted refills....Up to 5 in a 6 month period. Conversely, Oxycodone based products do not permit refills. However, some people may experience more relief with one or the other as everyone is different. However, from a potency stand point, Oxycodone is much stronger.

Re: your liver, it's the Tylenol that is the concern....NOT the Oxycodone or Hydrocodone. If you have a chronic condition and require regular meds, you want as little tylenol as possible....Preferrably none. However, small amts of Tylenol are acceptable.

What are you currently taking? It's hard to recommend something without knowing what you're currently on and how it's working. I will try to help as best I can.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I just worry that being on much stronger Pk during last 3 years may not help to go to the weaker pain reliever. Wouldn't want this to happen to me.

Yes, I need BT meds, because my Oxy (brand name) of 20mg every 8 hours as LA - doesn't help much with pain. So I have to take BT: I was taking 20/625 of Percocet every 4-6 hours during the day.

I am pretty sure that many of us don't like to change meds, always confusing and scary, is in it? But I am having problems on Percocet with other organs and GP would like me to try something else.

What about Methadone? Is it better? Stronger?

Thanks!!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
    Sammiejoe
    (female)

Sammiejoe HB User

Why not try roxicodone(oxycodone w/out the tylenol. It comes in 5mg, 15mg and 30mg and they just approved 10mg & 20mg, however I don't know if those are available yet. Hydrocodone is available w/ tylenol only, unless you go to a compound pharmacy to get it specially made w/ out the tylenol.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Moldova,

I second Samiejoe. IR Oxycodone is what my Dr. chose for me, primarily because it doesn't have the tylenol in it and Ultram wasn't strong enough. Since my pain starts out very low and increases during the day I can start out the day with a couple of arthritis strenght tylenol and then add the Oxy when the pain gets worse. It sounds like it comes in a lot of different strengths so you Dr. should be able to find one that works for you. I've been having a lot better afternoons/evenings since I've started on this.

Tigg.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Moldova,

My doc put me on Norco because it has far less tylenol than other similar drugs, and I have kidney/liver problems. I am also on 50mcg Fentanyl patch, so I use Ultram 200mg/day and Norco 10/325 for BT pain and it works for me.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Norco is a good pain reliever. its a little stronger than vicadin ES and it does have less tylenol in it but its not a good med for CP, as its really short acting. I guess it would be good as a B/T medication but not for a day in and day our medication to take around the clock. even though it has less tylenol in it than vicadon it still has plenty and this isn't good for your liver if your concenred about that which you seem to be so its not the best choice if you have liver issues.

I just had my liver checked and its perfect but I don't take anything with tyleonol in it.

Its a step down from all of the meds you have listed, even a step down from percocet so I am curious why you mention this ,is your Dr taking you off all your pain meds and offering you this? If so he must have his reasons, so go ahead and ask him why he chose this med for you. it only last about hours for pain relief but its good stuff.

SS

Old 07-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sammiejoe View Post
    Why not try roxicodone(oxycodone w/out the tylenol. It comes in 5mg, 15mg and 30mg and they just approved 10mg & 20mg, however I don't know if those are available yet. Hydrocodone is available w/ tylenol only, unless you go to a compound pharmacy to get it specially made w/ out the tylenol.
    The above is an excellent choice. They also make Roxicodone in a liquid....Purdue Pharma has a brand also...Oxyfast. Both come in 30cc bottles, or 30 dropper doses. On the dropper, there are 4 lines....First one is 5mg, second 10mg, third 15mg, and last or a full dropper is 20mg. Works very well....And fast.

I would try to stay away from anything with Tylenol in it....Serves no purpose @ this point. The pain fighting power is negligible, if any. I would argue that most CP patients who take it get little to no value.

Ex

Old 07-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am not familiar with Roxicodone, have to ask him about it. The problem is: since I was all this time on pretty high doses of strong PK not everything works on me.
    Some of you report gettting a relieve from 10/325 of Percocet, but for me 20/625 of same med doesn't work. Oxycodone 15mg - doesn't remove the pain at all... Despite the fact that I am taking 20 mg of Oxycontin every 8 hours...
    That is why I have such problem to find meds which work. When I started Percocet in '06 - it was working well, as well as Oxy - BT.
    Not anymore.

Thank you much for all your responses; when she called me about app and refills (I have to see him every month), we discussed my medication. She said will call me back and I decided to check with you all what do you think...

What would I do without you? Thank you ones agan from my heart...

Old 07-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Moldova,

I don't understand what you are doing.

Maybe I'm just not paying attention - but I don't see why you are looking into lower strength medications. Is this the same doc who told you that you were kind of addicted, or that you'll be paying lots of money for the rest of your life on PKs?

Or is this another doc? LIke I wrote, I don't understand what you are doing? Have you reacted badly to a med, or had a blood test come back indicating some kind of damage?

I'm sorry for all the questions Moldova. I do know that ever since the fentanyl emergency you have been in a kind of limbo, not really settled on any firm plan, and maybe that's what this is all about?

steve

Old 07-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
    niap
    (male)

niap HB User
    Red face Re: What do you think about NORCO?

Norco is the same med as vicodin but with a little less acetemenophen....I think you have just built a tolerance to all of the meds through out your experience with opiats.. Methadone actually blocks your opiat receptors in you brain that is why they give it to herion addicts..I think you have three different receptors in your brain and every opiate medication bonds differently. Unless there is something wrong with your liver I would stay on the cycle you are taking now...nothing is going to be as strong as fentynl so what ever you take you are either going to have to double up or go through withdrawls..Sorry about the spelling....

Good luck and let us know what happens...

niap

Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Methadone does not block the opiate receptors in the brain. It blocks the high that opioids like heroin can deliver when taken IV. If it blocked the opiate receptors it could not be used at part of PM for pain relief.

Methadone is a wonderful analgesic. Along with being a full opioid agonist, meaning, among other things, there's no ceiling effect, it is also an NMDA antagonist which means that it can serve to slow, halt or even reverse opioid tolerance.

It takes much less methadone to relieve pain in a patient experienced with strong narcotics than it takes with meds like morphine or oxycodone. Patients on 600mg of morphine could require as little as 80-90mg of methadone daily and get better pain relief. But, like other opioids, there are side effects to deal with. Methadone causes more lethargy than most other opioids, and it can cause quite a bit of sweating. Like all meds, methadone affects each person a little differently.

I found that with methadone I needed no BT meds at all. But I was given liquid morphine just in case. On the very rare occasion that I needed the morphine it worked very well.

steve

Closed Thread