It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Lortab withdrawal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
    lisabelle16
    (female)

lisabelle16 HB User
    Lortab withdrawal

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the board, and kind not figure out how to make a new post. My question is, I have been taking Lortab 10/500 for about 4 months, sometimes taking more a day than I am supposed to. I have taken all but two of my Lortabs, but cannot get my RX refilled until Friday. I haven't had any withdrawals yet, I haven't had a Lortab since yesterday at 10:00 am, it is now 10:45 am, so it has been over 24 hours since I have had a pill. How soon will my withdrawals begin. I did have restless legs last night, but I took a Xanax and I was able to go back to sleep. I am so afraid this is going to horrible, and I cannot be out of work because my husband just lost his job.

Last edited by M08; 07-09-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: To start a new thread, on the thread page, depress the new thread button on the left hand side of the page.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
    shananava
    (female)

shananava HB User
    Re: Lortab withdrawl

You may want to check on addiction board for that. Be careful if you are in Pain management too. That can cause them to dismiss you. If you have 2 left cant they be broken down so you wont have withdrawals as bad? Hope you wont have too much pain due to this.
    Shannon

Old 07-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
    lisabelle16
    (female)

lisabelle16 HB User

They have been upset with me because I have taken more than prescribed. That is one reason she would not refill my rx early. I am feeling pretty good right now. I have the 7.5 mg right now, so if I broke them in half, do you think that would help with the withdrawals? I am picking up my Lortab refill on Friday morning.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Yes, that would help.....Stretch it out for as long as you can, then when you feel bad, take the 1/2 pill. This will ward off the worst of it. However, as the other poster said, the amt you've been taking is so small, I doubt you'll feel much.

BTW, if you want to start a new message, click on "new thread" where all the topics are listed under "pain management."

Good luck until Friday.

Ex

Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
    lisabelle16
    (female)

lisabelle16 HB User
    Re: Lortab withdrawal

Thanks Ex, I appreciate the encouragement. I have been having the restless leg problem at night, but I have done ok other than that. I also have been taking Xanax about 3 or 4 times a day to stave off the anxiousness and depression. I also take Prozac and Wellbutrin, so maybe that is helping as well. I am trying to hang in there until Friday.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
    jrod84
    (male)

jrod84 HB User

Maybe this is not my place to say, but it kind of sounds like there are alot of different meds going through your system in a day. And if you are in PM, some Dr. are VERY strict about how many are prescribed, and if you are following directions. Maybe you should ask for a higher dosage if what you have is not working, then you won't run out early, because they will prescribe what you need.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
    Jack24
    Inactive
    (male)

Jack24 HB User

Something I found out a few years ago in dealing with chronic pain; As you go longer on narcotics you tend to lose the edgy, happy-happy feeling but still have relief from pain. In other words don't use how it make you feel as a gauge to determine how effective the drug is. Ask yourself "Is the drug helping with the pain"? If you go by how it makes you feel you will be increasing the dose faster than need be.

Most of the time I don't get total pain relief, it is just made tolerable. I think that is the level most pain clinics try to achieve.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #8
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User

hi iam so sorry for your situation i totally understand,this stuff is a nightmare,i think you got some great advice from the other posters and just want to offer you my support,ive gotten myself in a similar situation,it really isnt hard to do(running out early) i mean,breaking it in half sounds like a good plan,please let us know how you are doing. marywoo

Old 07-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #9
    lisabelle16
    (female)

lisabelle16 HB User

Hi Everyone,

Well today I am ok, except for some anxiety and nervousness. I have diareha (sp) but other than that, I am ok. I called my pain management doctor to see if they could atleast call it in this afternoon, and I pretty much got blasted. This isn't the first time I have run out before my Lortab was due for a refill. The assistant told me that they have given my file to the doctor above the one I see, and he says this has to stop. Me running out of pills before my RX should be up, and constantly calling them to see if I can get it refilled early. The assistant said if this keeps happening they will discharge me. They said I could pick up my RX tomrrow between 9:30 and 10:30. I have one 7.5mg of Percocet left, but I am trying to hang onto for as long as I can. I am so afraid this doctor is just going to say "screw it, she has taken more than she should, we are done with her." But I guess the assistant wouldn't have said they were calling it in tomorrow if they weren't planning on doing that. I think I am paranoid

Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisabelle16 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I called my pain management doctor to see if they could atleast call it in this afternoon, and I pretty much got blasted. This isn't the first time I have run out before my Lortab was due for a refill. The assistant told me that they have given my file to the doctor above the one I see, and he says this has to stop. Me running out of pills before my RX should be up, and constantly calling them to see if I can get it refilled early. The assistant said if this keeps happening they will discharge me.
    Hi Lisa:

Not to be harsh or make you more paranoid Lisa, but at the very least I would be prepared for a nice long lecture at your next appointment on running of your meds early and questioning your "self-medication" and not following your docs orders, and worst case scenario is that the doc starts you on a taper to wean you off, or perhaps dismisses you from his practice altogether. By your own admission, you have mis-used the medication, and from what you have indicated, the doc is getting quite fed up with you. My alarm is that your doc went to his next in command if I read correctly....Yikes, that's serious!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisabelle16 View Post
    I think I am paranoid
    Paranoid?? IMHO only in the sense that you fear your meds will be cut off and you may end up red flagged bt the DEA....I think you may be dead on that your relationship with your doc is worse than on shakey ground, and you in fact are in great danger of losing your PM.

Not trying to scare you,or make you more "paranoid", just trying to give you a reality check. I wish you much luck.

~!~ Becky ~!~

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
    lisabelle16
    (female)

lisabelle16 HB User

The person that I have been seeing at the PM office is a nurse practitioner, she isn't a doctor so to speak, so I think that is why she showed the doctor my file. Do you think they would tell me that they would call in my RX tomorrow between 9:30 & 10:30 if they were going to cut me off? You would think they would have just said "we are done with you" and not told me they would call anything in. I do think I will get a big lecture, I just hope they will give me a chance to prove I will follow their directions to a tee. I am planning on giving my husband the pills, that way I cannot take more than is prescribed per day.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Thats a great idea. I wish only the best for you and pray that you find a solution to your pain. Chronic pain is not easy to deal with day after day. I know and many others on this board know because we live it everyday. Remember that we are here for you if you need anything.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
    lisabelle16
    (female)

lisabelle16 HB User

thanks dr! it has helped to have you guys to talk to. I have been so irrational and unrealistic today. I know that I am on thin ice with my doctor because of running out of pills etc. But they did say they were going to call in my refill in the morning, however, the paranoid part of me is thinking that I will get to the pharmacy and they will tell me that nothing was called in. Then I will find out my doctor has discharged me. I keep telling myself, that would be unethical on his part, or atleast it would be cruel of him to leave me hanging, making me go cold turkey. I think most likely they are going to refill the scrip in the morning, but if they have any more trouble with me, taking more than prescribed etc., then they will discharge me. I don't think they would lie to me and tell me they are going to call it in tomorrow if they didn't plan on doing that.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

you are really lucky you are still a patient there. my Dr would have dumped me long ago AS WOULD MUST OF OUR DR'S HERE. he told me flat out if I ever call for early fills or I become a problem patient I will be terminated immediatly so take this as a warning and please respect what your Dr is doing for you. If you keep this up they will discharge you and a note will go in your file that any Dr can see and than you will have no pain meds at all, so please don't take more meds than your supposed to and if you do, you will have to deal with the W/DS and be in misery, You can't expect them to refill early it will flag the DEA and your Dr could loose there license and all of those patients will be left with nothing b/c they were shut down this happens all the time. If your pain meds are not covering your pain and that is why your taking more and running out early than you should make an apt with the DR OR THE PA and bring this to the table to find a better solution. for your pain needs You really should be on a LA med vs a short acting one like what your on now, Lortab is a weaker pain med and your building a tolerance to it, its also hard on the liver. I would hate for you to take more of the LA meds if you got it and than you could OD so this is a serious situation you need to address with the DR before you make any med changes.

Since your so nervous about getting your refill tomorrow this has hopefully made you realize you cannot keep doing this. It is obvious you know you have done wrong so do you think you can change your ways or does this happen to you every month?

SS

Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #15
    lisabelle16
    (female)

lisabelle16 HB User

It has happened on other time. I have only been going there a few months, and we were trying to find the right pill for me. Finally we decided that the Lortab 10/500mg was best. I do know I have done wrong, and I take all the blame for what I did. Believe me, I will never do this again. I am just glad the doctor is willing to give me another chance. I think they would have told me over the phone today if they weren't going to refill it for me. She just told me that they phone in refills between 9:30 and 10:30. So I don't believe she would have lied, knowing I would go to the pharmacy and stuff. I intend on being the model patient from here on out.

Closed Thread