It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• What are the long term side effects of oxycontin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
    Round1
    Inactive
    (female)

Round1 HB User
    What are the long term side effects of oxycontin?

I am just wondering does anyone have any idea what prolonged use of Oxycontin does to the body? Do you have to go for liver function tests or anything like that?

Just wondering, if anyone knows.
    Round1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
    badoldback
    (male)

badoldback HB User
    Re: What are the long term side effects of oxycontin?

Hey round1,
    The Opiates in general and Oxycodone in particular are remarkably gentle on the body. The most common long term side effects are constipation and decreased testosterone production. Twice a year blood tests are wise for any long term medication regimen but Opiates are far less damaging to your liver than Acetaminophen (Paracetamol?).

Old 07-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I have to agree with badoldback on his assessment. In fact, this goes for just about all narcotics, not just Oxycontin. Pain meds slow you CNS which in turn effects what badoldback outlined.

Ex

Old 07-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Round1, I've taken Oxycontin for about 7 years now and have never had any negative side effects (except the constipation) from it. It has no paracetamol in it, so it doesn't affect the liver like some other meds. Just as badoldback and Ex said, it is quite gentle. The way I look at it, it is a fair trade-off with the constipation, because I can take things like stool softeners and fiber supplements, etc. to help alleviate that.

Depending on what other meds you are taking, you shouldn't need liver function tests. If you are in doubt about your other meds, just ask your doc or your chemist. They should be able to tell you if any of your other meds require any kind of monitoring.

Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 AM   #5
    Round1
    Inactive
    (female)

Round1 HB User

Thanks for helping wasnt really sure what the longterm use of it was. The way I feel if it helps me I have to take it, Better having quality rather than quantity of life. !!!!!!

Thanks Round1

Old 07-21-2008, 04:11 AM   #6
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Really I don't think there are any. I have been on it for years and just had a full liver panel test along with a full blood work up. there is nothing wrong with me. I would go ahead and try this med and see how it works for you. I feel very good on this medication I just have to watch my constipation but that is true with any narcotic pain meds.

Closed Thread