It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• neurontin vs. lyryca (difference?)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
    babyboomer6
    (female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User
    neurontin vs. lyryca (difference?)

Hey, does anyone know the difference between lyryca a nd neurontin? I have had neurontin for a long time but am thinking of trying lyryca as they advertise it a lot for fybromyalgia (which I suffer from.) I hate some of the side effects of neurontin, such as fuzzy head and can't drive if I take it. Just want to know an opinion on this subject. THANKS---BOOMER

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
    TexMom85
    Veteran
    (female)

TexMom85 HB User
    Re: neurontin vs. lyryca (difference?)

Boomer,

Like you, I have fibromylagia, but I didn't start on Lyrica until I developed nerve pain from disk issues in my neck. What I will say about the Lyrica--it was very helpful in managing the severe nerve pain, and was helpful with my ongoing sleep battles (very sedating). However....

I had very bad side effects from this, including, ironically, an INCREASE in my fibromyalgia pain. I also swelled severely, got very stiff, and was so sleepy all the time, I could barely function, at least for the first 3 months. I gained 35 pounds in 3 months as well.

So, doc switched me to Neurontin. Now that I am at the full dosage (600 mg, 3x daily), I am experiencing the swelling again, as well as some daytime sleepiness, but no recurrence of my fibromyalgia pain. But, I would have to say it is also NOT working as well as the Lyrica did for me, in terms of managing my nerve pain. It is breaking through and spreading, and I fear I will need surgery for it since I have already had the maximum number of cervical injections/oral steroid treatments I am allowed for quite a while.

Hope this is helpful. One of my friends takes Lyrica for trigeminal facial pain and it helps her a great deal.

Blessings,
    Tex

Closed Thread