It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Darvocet 100? I heard it doesn't work??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
    April7
    Inactive
    (female)

April7 HB User
    Darvocet 100? I heard it doesn't work??

Hey all, thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a pain medicine question.

Background: I am suffering from some terrible back pain for 3 months now. I start PT next week. Basically the doc is sending me to PT for "Trapezius and Cervical Muscle Strains." She did an x-ray and may do an MRI too to make sure I have no disc issues. She is a bit concerned with my rotator cuff also. I have a ton of numbness in my left arm which is really worrisome to me. She's going to send me to PT and follow up in 2 weeks and decide what to do further at that point.

Anyhow, Monday I finally went in for the second time after being given 2 weeks worth of muscle relaxers in May and sent home with no PT or anything. This new doctor was very concerned. Basically said that she has never seen such terrible muscle knots/spasms before, and how the heck did I do that?! (I'd like to know as well....it hurts!!)

She gave me 30 Percocets (5/500) and they work awesome for the pain. However, I'm a bit too dopey when I take them so I asked for something that wouldn't have the same effect on me. She just called in some Darvocet 100s to my pharmacy.

How effective? I just read it's no more effective than aspirin and that as a pain med it's very addictive and dangerous, but offers little to no therapeutic pain relief. So, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has taken it and if this is true? My pain is very bad. It stinks that you can't relieve your pain without the side effects.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate it!

Last edited by April7; 07-23-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
    Re: Darvocet 100? I heard it doesn't work??

Hi April - The most important thing to remember when comparing the effectiveness of different medications is that no two people will react in exactly the same way to any one drug. Although Darvon or Darvocet is considered at the lower end of the spectrum of pain medication, it may be exactly what your particular body reacts most positively to. I've heard of several people who get better pain relief when switching from something very strong, like Fentanyl, to something like Vicodin. My personal experience with Darvon and Darvocet isn't all that good. It never got rid of my pain. I don't think that it is any more addictive than any other pain medication, but it does have a reputation for overdose potential. But, like anything else April, if you follow the directions on the bottle you won't get into any trouble with overdose problems. Good luck! Memere (KathyMac)

Old 07-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Darvocet never did much for me, ibuphrophin 800s, which you can get over the counter (not in the 800 mgs, but you could take that many) did more.

I am surprised she didnt try you on the hydrocodone since you said the oxy was too strong, that is generally considered the next rung down the ladder of pain meds.

You could try the darvocets, you never know, they might work for you. what have you taken in the past that has helped with your pain? sometimes one med works better than another, everyone is different in how they react.

If the darvocet seems to weak, I would ask to try the hydros.

HTH, Your Friend, Fabby

BTW, all opiate based meds are addictive, I dont think darvocet is any more or less so than any other narcotic. if you take them as prescribed, you should be fine.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

:::waving at Kathy::::

our posts crossed in cyber space, wanted to say howdy!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
    April7
    Inactive
    (female)

April7 HB User

Thanks guys! I appreciate the insight.

Between the 30 Darvocet and the 30 Percocet I think I will last 30 days until I follow up with her again, and if I need to get something else then I will. I think I can manage on the Percocet, I'd just rather have something a little less strong. Vicodin was my choice, honestly, but I'm too afraid to come out and say that out of fear of sounding too educated or professional in my pain medication knowledge. So stupid, I know, but you know how they are nowadays about pain pills. Don't want to sound like a drug seeker!

I have had extensive knee surgeries and I've taken tons of pills. After the first surgery I was on 2 percocets every 3 hours, and 1 oxycontin every 8 hours. I survived that just fine, and just slept most of the time. I was on Vicodin long term thereafter. I've also taken Lortab and Ultraam. Never any problems. This past year I lost 20 pounds and now barely weigh 100 (I have some GI issues, possibly a bad gallbladder and have to be on a lowfat diet, hence all the weight loss). I am assuming my low weight is why I cannot tolerate the Percocet any longer?? I am forbidden from taking Ibuprophen and Aspirin. Otherwise I'd take 3 Advil and probably be able to function at work during the day, or sleep better at night. But, not being able to take anying but Tylenol leaves me in need of something stronger. It's strange that the weight loss has affected me that much and made it impossible for me to tolerate a Percocet! I never had any problems before this episode. I actually always thought I had a pretty high tolerance to all of that stuff. I guess that's not the case anymore, though. What a drag!

Hopefully PT will help. At first it will be deep tissue massage and ultrasound on the muscles, and I am hoping that it will quickly start to relieve this pain. I am seriously in the wost pain I have ever had, and I'm desperate to feel better.

Thanks for listening.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi April,

I have found that a good way to 'ask' for a med by name without seeming to is to say 'medname has worked well for me in the past, maybe we could try that'? That way you arent asking flat out and are telling the truth, it has worked in the past and been well tolerated by you, things your doctor is always grateful to know.

It seems silly to have to worry about semantics, but no one wants that red mark in their records.

~Fabby

Closed Thread